WESTERLY, R.I. — Firefighters have helped save a 15-month-old from a home fully engulfed in flames in Rhode Island.

Authorities say the fire broke out at a Westerly residence around 7 p.m. Tuesday. Police say a man and two boys, ages 6 and 7, escaped through a window, but the boys’ younger brother was still inside when firefighters arrived.

Firefighters entered the home and rescued the boy from a playpen near where the flames broke out.

Police Capt. Shawn Lacey says the boy has been hospitalized with first and second-degree burns. He says the boy’s injuries are non life-threatening.

Investigators believe the fire started from a pan with cooking oil that was left on the stove.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.