- Russia's Putin in Iran for talks focusing on Syria Updated: Nov-23-15 4:36 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Russia's President Vladimir Putin visited Tehran on Monday for talks with Iranian leaders that focused on the Syrian crisis and an international peace plan intended to end the conflict.
- Told he must go, Syria's Assad may outlast Obama in office Updated: Nov-22-15 10:50 am
WASHINGTON - Bashar Assad's presidency looks likely to outlast Barack Obama's.
- Iran's Guard simulates capture of Al-Aqsa Mosque Updated: Nov-21-15 12:59 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Paramilitary forces from Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard have held a war game simulating the capture of Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque from Israeli control, state media reported Saturday.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Nov-18-15 6:26 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad:
- With Islamic State targeted, what happens to Syria's Assad? Updated: Nov-18-15 3:17 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The tide of global rage against the Islamic State group lends greater urgency to ending the jihadis' ability to operate at will from a base in war-torn Syria. That momentum could also force a reevaluation of what to do about President Bashar Assad and puts a renewed focus on the position of his key patrons, Russia and Iran.
- Wisconsin lawmakers propose Iran business prohibition Updated: Nov-15-15 1:14 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican legislators have introduced a bill that would prohibit the state from investing in companies that do business in or with Iran, saying the measure would help blunt President Barack Obama's nuclear accord with that country.
- Diplomats set plan for political change in Syria Updated: Nov-15-15 12:39 am
VIENNA - Invoking the need for joint action after the attacks in Paris, foreign ministers of nearly 20 nations agreed Saturday to an ambitious yet incomplete plan for bringing peace to Syria and ending its role as a breeding ground for ISIS and other radical Islamic groups.
- Paris attacks reaction: Nordic governments condemn attacks Updated: Nov-14-15 5:50 am
PARIS - World leaders are reacting to the deadliest violence to strike France since World War II. Some of their comments:
- Reaction from around the world to Paris attacks Updated: Nov-14-15 1:37 am
PARIS - World leaders are reacting to the deadliest violence to strike France since World War II. Some of their views:
- The Latest: Top officials heading to Paris concert hall Updated: Nov-13-15 7:28 pm
PARIS - The latest on shootings and explosions in Paris. (all times local):
- Global push for end to Syria war seen as most serious yet Updated: Nov-12-15 12:39 am
BEIRUT - The international community is mounting its most serious effort yet to end the nearly 5-year-old Syrian war, rallying around a second round of talks in Vienna this weekend amid the emergence of a Russian proposal that calls for early elections.
- Despite Russian strikes, Syrian rebels hold ground Updated: Nov-06-15 11:18 am
REYHANLI, Turkey - Despite a month of heavy battering by Russian airstrikes, Syria's rebels have so far been able to fend off offensives by government forces trying to retake territory from the rebel's heartland. The fierce fighting shows how even greater backing from Syrian President Bashar Assad's international allies is not swiftly tipping the conflict in his favor.
- US pledges nearly $100 million to support Syrian opposition Updated: Oct-31-15 1:45 pm
MANAMA, Bahrain - The United States ramped up its support for Syria's opposition with a pledge of nearly $100 million in fresh aid on Saturday. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia's top diplomat described the timing of the departure of Syrian President Bashar Assad and the withdrawal of foreign fighters as top sticking points to finding a lasting resolution to the civil war in Syria.
- The Latest: Official Iranian agency says Syrians must decide Updated: Oct-30-15 7:04 am
VIENNA - The latest developments in talks on ending the Syrian War (all times local).
- Iran to take a seat among world powers for Syria talks Updated: Oct-28-15 4:58 pm
BEIRUT - Iran will take part in international talks on Syria for the first time this week, giving it a voice in the effort to find a resolution to the more than 4-year-old civil war that has so far defied even the slightest progress toward peace.
- Iran to attend international talks on Syria's future Updated: Oct-28-15 12:43 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran said Wednesday it will attend the international talks on Syria's future this week in Vienna, following an invitation from the Russian envoy that would mark Tehran's first appearance at such a gathering.
- US, world powers save space for Iran at Syria talks Updated: Oct-28-15 8:05 am
WASHINGTON - This week's international talks over Syria's future will have a new player at the table: Iran, a key ally of Syria's Bashar Assad.