- Democrats expected to advance 2016 budget plan Updated: May-26-15 4:16 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Democrats in the Illinois Legislature are expected to advance a 2016 budget proposal on Tuesday that Republicans are criticizing as unbalanced.
- Rauner names new Illinois National Guard adjutant general Updated: May-26-15 4:14 am
CHICAGO - Gov. Bruce Rauner has named Brig. Gen. Richard J. Hayes Jr. as adjutant general of the Illinois National Guard.
- Democrats introduce proposed $36.3 billion budget for 2016 Updated: May-25-15 8:07 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Democrats announced a budget plan Monday that they say calls for spending more than $3 billion beyond what the state anticipates bringing in, setting up a summer showdown with Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner, who has insisted that pro-business reforms accompany any tax hike.
- Standoff between Rauner, Democrats hangs over Legislature Updated: May-25-15 5:41 pm
CHICAGO - A standoff between Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Democrats who control the Illinois Legislature is threatening to derail action on a long list of issues as lawmakers enter the final days of their spring session.
- Safety system needed before Illinois line operational Updated: May-25-15 4:43 pm
CHICAGO - A safety feature that slows trains traveling dangerously fast is one of the last components that must be installed before a Chicago-St. Louis high-speed line becomes operational, officials said.
- Campaign-style tactics fueling Illinois legislative gridlock Updated: May-24-15 10:12 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - An already challenging legislative session has grown even trickier as Democrats and Republicans have begun targeting lawmakers with campaign-style mailers, TV ads and new multimillion-dollar political committees.
- Democrats giving no hint of compromise with Rauner on budget Updated: May-22-15 7:53 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Majority Democrats in the Illinois General Assembly gave no hint on Friday that they are ready to budge from opposition to Gov. Bruce Rauner's pro-business reforms after the Republican softened some of his "Turnaround Illinois" demands.
- Illinois Democrats vote down workers comp bill Updated: May-22-15 3:11 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Democrats have sent another in a series of messages to Gov. Bruce Rauner by voting down elements of his pro-business agenda.
- Illinois prisons director resigns 2 months after taking job Updated: May-22-15 12:24 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner's choice for state prisons director has resigned just two months into the job.
- Gov. Rauner to put pro-business bills before Legislature Updated: May-22-15 9:28 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois' Democrat-dominated Legislature will soon have its say on key pieces of Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner's pro-business agenda.
- Madigan postpones millionaire tax bill after failed vote Updated: May-21-15 10:04 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan's effort to impose a new income tax on millionaires has stalled.
- Illinois moves to downgrade pot possession to a fine Updated: May-21-15 9:11 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Legislation to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana is headed to Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner's desk.
- Lawmakers approve extension in medical marijuana program Updated: May-21-15 5:51 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois' medical marijuana program would be extended by two or more years under legislation heading to Gov. Bruce Rauner.
- Bobcat hunting in Illinois receives Senate approval Updated: May-21-15 3:14 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A measure that would allow hunting bobcats in Illinois has won Senate approval.
- Rauner warns Illinois Democrats of 'long extra session' Updated: May-21-15 12:38 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner is warning Illinois lawmakers they should "expect a very long extra session" if they don't approve some of his legislative priorities.
- Illinois House advances plan to change Cook County pensions Updated: May-20-15 6:25 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois lawmakers are again considering a plan to overhaul Cook County's pension system that could trim some workers' benefits, despite a recent Illinois Supreme Court ruling striking down a statewide pension overhaul.
- New GOP lawmakers push for term limits, rail on 'status quo' Updated: May-20-15 1:29 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A group of freshmen Republican legislators is pushing for term limits, saying gridlock in the Illinois Legislature is a sign the status quo isn't working.
- Gay conversion therapy ban passes Illinois House Updated: May-19-15 5:33 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois House has approved a ban on therapy supporters say can change the sexual orientation of young gays.
- 'Right to Try' medical measure sent to Illinois governor Updated: May-19-15 5:21 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois is one step closer to granting patients with terminal illnesses the ability to access experimental drugs.
- Illinois Supreme Court hears $10B Phillip Morris appeal Updated: May-19-15 4:53 pm
CHICAGO - The fate of a $10.1 billion class-action judgment against the nation's largest cigarette maker is in the hands of justices at the Illinois Supreme Court, who heard oral arguments Tuesday in Phillip Morris USA's appeal to have the on-again, off-again verdict struck down.
- Lawmakers considering automatic voter registration bill Updated: May-19-15 4:00 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Two Democratic state senators have filed legislation that would automatically register Illinois residents to vote.
- Terminally ill former Illinois lawmaker reports to prison Updated: May-19-15 3:50 pm
ELGIN, Illinois - A terminally ill former Illinois lawmaker has reported to prison to begin serving an eight-year sentence for compiling and trading more than 2,700 pornographic images of young children.
- Illinois mayors, colleges oppose proposed Amtrak cuts Updated: May-19-15 2:41 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Amtrak rail service reductions that would follow proposed cuts in next year's state budget will hurt businesses and impact students, Illinois university officials and mayors told a state Senate committee Tuesday.
- Illinois state senator declares bid for 8th District Updated: May-19-15 10:35 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - An Illinois state senator says he'll run for Congress to replace Democratic U.S. Rep. Tammy Duckworth.
- Official: Police shoot, kill suspect in south Chicago suburb Updated: May-18-15 10:25 am
HARVEY, Illinois - A spokesman for the southern Chicago suburb of Harvey says police have shot and killed a robbery suspect who fired a weapon at officers in a parking lot.