- IOC sets up $2 million fund to assist refugees Updated: Sep-04-15 7:17 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The International Olympic Committee is setting up a $2 million fund to assist refugees.
- IOC president hires German official as new chief of staff Updated: Sep-04-15 5:50 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - IOC President Thomas Bach has hired a German regional government official as his new chief of staff.
- Thomas Bach gets what he wants: A US bid for 2024 Olympics Updated: Sep-02-15 2:03 pm
LONDON - When Boston's troubled bid for the 2024 Olympics collapsed in late July, IOC President Thomas Bach made it pointedly clear he was counting on the U.S. to come up with another candidate.
- Los Angeles back from dead as US candidate for 2024 Olympics Updated: Sep-02-15 7:47 am
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles is the official U.S. nominee for the 2024 Olympic games - a dramatic turnaround for a city that just two months ago was considered out of the running.
- Japan scales back Tokyo 2020 Olympic stadium plans Updated: Aug-28-15 4:11 am
TOKYO - Japan's government has approved a plan to reduce the seating and slash the construction cost of the main stadium for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics after public opposition to the initial design.
- IOC wants Japan's main stadium ready by January 2020 Updated: Aug-25-15 7:44 am
TOKYO - A top International Olympic Committee official urged Japan on Tuesday to speed up the troubled construction of Tokyo's new national stadium for delivery by January 2020, but the Japanese minister in charge of the Games cautioned this may not be possible.
- Australian sailors wary of Rio debris as much as pollution Updated: Aug-13-15 8:32 pm
A 35-person team of Australian sailors, coaches and support crew begin competing in test events this week for next year's Summer Olympics on pollution-plagued Guanabara Bay in Rio de Janeiro, concerned as much about the floating debris that could affect the results of racing as the "horrible" sewage-filled water.
- USOC optimistic Los Angeles will bid for 2024 Olympics Updated: Aug-12-15 7:45 pm
This time, U.S. Olympic leaders are looking to Los Angeles as a bidder for the 2024 Olympics - a city that actually wants to host the games.
- FIFA picks Olympic veteran Carrard to lead reform task force Updated: Aug-11-15 12:06 pm
GENEVA - FIFA has turned to Francois Carrard, who helped oversee cleaning up the IOC after the Salt Lake City bidding scandal, to chair a group leading reforms of football's corruption-hit governing body.