- US commander: Russia seems set for new offensive in Ukraine Updated: Apr-30-15 12:11 pm
WASHINGTON - The top U.S. commander for NATO said Thursday that America needs better intelligence on the ground in Ukraine, but that it appears Russian forces have used a recent lull in fighting to reposition for another offensive.
- NATO: Big military build-up on Russia-Ukraine border Updated: Apr-23-15 3:01 pm
BRUSSELS - NATO's chief on Thursday reported a sizeable Russian military buildup on the border with Ukraine that he said would enable pro-Moscow separatists to launch a new offensive with little warning.
- Russia claims US troops in eastern Ukraine Updated: Apr-23-15 1:44 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's Defense Ministry says U.S. military instructors are training Ukrainian national guardsmen in urban fighting techniques in the eastern regions where Ukrainian forces and Russia-backed separatist rebels have fought for the past year.
- Russian car rally honors Soviet soldiers fallen in Poland Updated: Apr-22-15 11:37 am
WARSAW, Poland - About 50 members of the Russian "Road of Glory" car rally marking the Soviet victory over the Nazis 70 years ago honored Soviet soldiers on Wednesday who fell in combat in Warsaw in 1945.
- European court blames Russia for fatal shooting of Moldovan Updated: Apr-21-15 11:17 am
STRASBOURG, France - Europe's top human rights court has ordered Russia to pay damages for the fatal shooting of a Moldovan man in 2012.
- Leader of al-Qaida-linked group in Russia's Caucasus killed Updated: Apr-20-15 12:07 pm
MAKHACHKALA, Russia - Russian special forces have killed the leader of an al-Qaida-linked group operating in the Caucasus region of southern Russia, the national counterterrorism agency said Monday.
- US: Growing China, Russia military activity in Asia-Pacific Updated: Apr-16-15 12:41 am
WASHINGTON - The commander of U.S. forces in the Pacific said Wednesday that major land reclamation by China at outposts in the South China Sea could allow it to exert more influence over the contested area and deploy military assets such as long-range radar and advanced missile systems.
- Russia criticizes Canada for sending troops to Ukraine Updated: Apr-15-15 3:43 pm
TORONTO - Russia called Canada's decision to send 200 military trainers to Ukraine "counterproductive and deplorable" on Wednesday.
- UK military monitors 3 Russian warships in English Channel Updated: Apr-14-15 11:49 am
LONDON - Britain's Ministry of Defense said Tuesday it was monitoring the activities of a Russian destroyer and two other ships in the English Channel.
- Chechen commander in Ukraine drawn into Russian intrigue Updated: Apr-12-15 5:23 am
LYSYCHANSK, Ukraine - From a dimly lit room at his base in eastern Ukraine, the commander of a battalion of Chechens fighting Russia-backed rebels looked shaken as TV broadcast news of Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov's slaying. Adam Osmayev hailed Nemtsov as a "true hero" both for condemning Russia's war against separatists in Chechnya and for decrying Russian intervention in the current conflict in Ukraine.
- Russian troops hold drills in Moldova's separatist region Updated: Apr-09-15 4:16 am
MOSCOW - Russian troops have conducted military exercises in Moldova's pro-Russia separatist region.
- Ordinary folk take up military training over Russia threat Updated: Apr-06-15 7:10 am
WARSAW, Poland - NATO aircraft scream across eastern European skies and American armored vehicles rumble near the border with Russia on a mission to reassure citizens that they're safe from Russian aggression.