- FIFA candidate Sheikh Salman signs human rights pledge Updated: Feb-12-16 5:15 am
MIAMI - FIFA presidential candidate Sheikh Salman says he signed a pledge written by NGOs committing the governing body, if he leads it, to tackle human rights abuses and corruption.
- Report charges Thai government ignores torture allegations Updated: Feb-10-16 10:59 am
BANGKOK - A group of human rights organizations in southern Thailand said in a report Wednesday that complaints of torture by security forces have not been addressed by authorities.
- Afghan Taliban open new front in war with attacks on media Updated: Feb-02-16 1:18 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Taliban suicide bombing against a bus carrying employees of Afghanistan's biggest media company last month has shocked local journalists, who fear they are now in the cross hairs of an increasingly lethal insurgency.
- Nigeria violates rights, ignores military violations: HRW Updated: Jan-27-16 10:13 am
LAGOS, Nigeria - Human Rights Watch says Nigeria's new government is violating rights on many fronts in its fight against Boko Haram's Islamic uprising and in bringing corrupt politicians to book.
- Afghan women demand role in peace process Updated: Jan-22-16 2:00 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - As efforts gather pace to renew peace talks with the Taliban, Afghan women still haunted by the insurgents' brutal rule say they are being left out of the process, and fear that an accommodation with the militants could lead to the loss of hard-won rights.