- French company scores huge Australian submarine contract Updated: Apr-26-16 9:51 am
PARIS - Australia's largest-ever defense contract has gone to a French shipbuilder to produce a new generation of submarines, thrilling officials in Paris and inaugurating half a century of close defense cooperation between the nations.
- Australian leader says he plans to call rare early election Updated: Apr-18-16 11:42 pm
SYDNEY - Australia's prime minister said on Tuesday he expects to call a rare early election, with the nation likely to head to the polls in July amid waning popularity for the ruling conservative party.
- Australia premier praises China ties, skirts touchy subjects Updated: Apr-14-16 3:59 am
SHANGHAI - Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull hailed business ties with China but skirted sensitive political issues Thursday, on the first day of an official visit to his country's key trade partner.
- Australian mother and TV crew questioned by Lebanese judge Updated: Apr-13-16 2:48 pm
BEIRUT - The mother of two Lebanese-Australian children and a four-member Australian TV crew appeared before a Lebanese investigative judge on Wednesday over accusations they attempted to kidnap the woman's two children from their father in Beirut.
- Australia to send biggest-ever business delegation to China Updated: Apr-08-16 2:19 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister will lead the country's biggest-ever business delegation to China next week.
- US, Australian and Philippine forces start combat drills Updated: Apr-04-16 7:53 am
MANILA, Philippines - Thousands of U.S. and Philippine troops, along with Australian defense forces, began annual drills Monday to prepare to quickly respond to a range of potential crises, including in the disputed South China Sea.