- Michael Douglas promotes peace and disarmament through art Updated: May-04-16 2:56 am
UNITED NATIONS - Actor Michael Douglas says the winning posters in a global competition to commemorate the first U.N. General Assembly resolution 70 years ago calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons "instantly create a universal message of peace."
- UN hears major differences on global approach to drug use Updated: Apr-21-16 12:34 am
UNITED NATIONS - Jamaica defended its decriminalization of possession of small amounts of marijuana. Iran said it seized 620 tons of different types of drugs last year and is helping protect the world from "the evils of addiction." Cuba opposed the legalization of drugs or declaring them harmless.
- Argentine foreign minister questioned on being next UN chief Updated: Apr-20-16 7:51 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Argentina's Foreign Minister Susanna Malcorra said Wednesday that whether she is nominated as a candidate to be the next secretary-general of the United Nations "is in the hands of my president."
- Serbia backs Vuk Jeremic for UN Secretary-General Updated: Apr-12-16 12:43 pm
BELGRADE, Serbia - Former President of the U.N. General Assembly Vuk Jeremic says the Serbian government has put forward his candidacy to be the next Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- Ex-New Zealand leader Clark announces bid for top UN post Updated: Apr-05-16 12:19 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Helen Clark, a former New Zealand prime minister who is now a senior U.N. official, announced Tuesday she is running for the top position at the United Nations, saying she would bring nearly 30 years of leadership skills to the job of secretary-general in a world of increasing challenges.