- UN hears major differences on global approach to drug use Updated: Apr-21-16 12:34 am
UNITED NATIONS - Jamaica defended its decriminalization of possession of small amounts of marijuana. Iran said it seized 620 tons of different types of drugs last year and is helping protect the world from "the evils of addiction." Cuba opposed the legalization of drugs or declaring them harmless.
- Argentine foreign minister questioned on being next UN chief Updated: Apr-20-16 7:51 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Argentina's Foreign Minister Susanna Malcorra said Wednesday that whether she is nominated as a candidate to be the next secretary-general of the United Nations "is in the hands of my president."
- Serbia backs Vuk Jeremic for UN Secretary-General Updated: Apr-12-16 12:43 pm
BELGRADE, Serbia - Former President of the U.N. General Assembly Vuk Jeremic says the Serbian government has put forward his candidacy to be the next Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- Ex-New Zealand leader Clark announces bid for top UN post Updated: Apr-05-16 12:19 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Helen Clark, a former New Zealand prime minister who is now a senior U.N. official, announced Tuesday she is running for the top position at the United Nations, saying she would bring nearly 30 years of leadership skills to the job of secretary-general in a world of increasing challenges.
- Audit finds UN deficiencies linked to alleged bribery case Updated: Apr-04-16 4:32 am
UNITED NATIONS - An internal audit has found important deficiencies and lapses in the U.N.'s involvement with two foundations and several non-governmental organizations linked to an alleged bribery case involving former General Assembly president John Ashe.