- Somalia: Militants kill lawmaker in capital, attack 2 towns Updated: May-23-15 1:41 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - A Somali lawmaker was shot and killed by gunmen in the capital Saturday, as dozens of Islamic extremists attacked two towns in southern Somalia, clashing with government troops in fighting that killed 18 militants and soldiers, Somali security officials said.
- UN: Yemen crisis could open jihadist path through Somalia Updated: May-18-15 8:05 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon warned in a new report that the crisis in Yemen could open a corridor for jihadist movements through Somalia, which is located just across the Gulf of Aden.
- Obama's pick to be US ambassador to Somalia withdraws Updated: May-11-15 4:57 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's pick to be the first American ambassador to Somalia in nearly 25 years has withdrawn her nomination, the White House told lawmakers on Monday, an unexpected suspension in U.S. plans to deepen ties with the African nation plagued by violence and instability.
- Two decades after 'Black Hawk Down,' Kerry visits Somalia Updated: May-05-15 1:08 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Two decades after dead American soldiers were dragged through the streets of Mogadishu, John Kerry on Tuesday became the first secretary of state to set foot in Somalia, a symbolic visit to show support for the African nation's fledgling government and the United States' readiness to move past a dark chapter in its history.
- US gives $45 million to help Kenya with refugee crisis Updated: May-04-15 12:56 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - The United States said Monday it will give $45 million to help Kenya deal with an increasingly complex refugee crisis in a region long defined by Somalia's endemic violence, but where war in nearby Yemen is now creating conditions so dire that some people are even fleeing to Somalia.