- Fed holds steady on rates, seeks further economic gains Updated: Jul-29-15 2:49 pm
WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve appears on track to raise interest rates later this year but signaled Wednesday that it wants to see further economic gains and higher inflation before doing so.
- Stocks stay higher after Fed keeps interest rates unchanged Updated: Jul-29-15 2:47 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks held onto their gains Wednesday afternoon, after the Federal Reserve said it would keep its benchmark rate unchanged after a two-day policy meeting. A modest rebound in Chinese stocks also helped push the market higher.
- IMF's Lagarde: World economy fragile, faces downside risks Updated: Jul-29-15 11:13 am
WASHINGTON - International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde says the world economy is recovering but fragile and "faces some downside risks."
- From rents to haircuts, Americans start to feel price hikes Updated: Jul-28-15 1:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Apartment rents are up. So are prices for restaurant meals, haircuts, gym memberships and a cup of coffee.
- Fed: Confidential forecasts mistakenly made public Updated: Jul-24-15 7:48 pm
WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve said Friday it mistakenly posted confidential economic projections on its public website last month.
- Gold falls to lowest level in five years on dollar strength Updated: Jul-20-15 5:05 pm
NEW YORK - Investors are running out of reasons to own gold.
- Fed directs 8 biggest US banks to hold extra capital Updated: Jul-20-15 4:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal regulators are directing the eight biggest U.S. banks to hold capital at levels above industry requirements to cushion against unexpected losses and reduce the chances of future taxpayer bailouts.
- Rising gas prices push inflation up modestly in June Updated: Jul-17-15 9:37 am
WASHINGTON - Rising gasoline prices pushed inflation up modestly in June, leaving overall consumer prices higher than they were a year earlier for the first time since December.
- US seeks extradition of British man charged with hacking Updated: Jul-16-15 6:55 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A British man accused of hacking into U.S. government computer networks and stealing sensitive and confidential information was arrested in England, and U.S. prosecutors said they will attempt to have him transferred to New Jersey.
- Yellen, Draghi upbeat despite tumult in Greece, China Updated: Jul-16-15 5:23 pm
WASHINGTON - The Chinese stock market is experiencing a terrifying freefall, and Greece is teetering on the brink of financial collapse.
- Yellen: Higher rates won't derail recovery Updated: Jul-16-15 5:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen sought to reassure worried lawmakers on Thursday that when the Fed begins to raise interest rates, it will be careful not to derail the economy.
- The Fed teases interest rates hikes; What's your move? Updated: Jul-15-15 3:29 pm
It's no longer a matter of if, but when. The interest rate on everything from credit cards to adjustable-rate mortgages could soon be headed higher.
- Fed survey finds economic growth in all regions of country Updated: Jul-15-15 2:57 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy was expanding in all regions of the country in the late spring, aided by strong sales of autos and other consumer goods.
- The Latest: Democrat urges Yellen to wait on rate hikes Updated: Jul-15-15 1:11 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen's mid-year economic outlook and testimony to Congress (all times local):
- Higher rates soon, legal costs in the past, banks take off Updated: Jul-15-15 12:16 pm
NEW YORK - The banking sector lead the S&P 500 index higher Wednesday as the biggest among them put up strong quarterly numbers and Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen confirmed that the central bank is likely to raise interest rates this year.
- Egg prices blowing up because of avian flu Updated: Jul-15-15 10:21 am
WASHINGTON - Eggs are getting much more expensive - by the dozen and otherwise.
- 5 questions Fed Chair Yellen will face from Congress Updated: Jul-14-15 4:41 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen will deliver the central bank's mid-year economic outlook this week to Congress, where she will face grilling from House and Senate lawmakers.
- Regulators: No single reason for bond market 'flash crash' Updated: Jul-13-15 4:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The Treasury Department and other government agencies said Monday they are unable to pinpoint a single reason for a period of extreme volatility that hit the Treasury securities market on Oct. 15 last year.
- Fed officials in June wary of looming economic risks Updated: Jul-08-15 4:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve policymakers last month saw signs that the economy was healing after its winter slump but agreed that there were still too many uncertainties at home and abroad to raise interest rates.
- Experts give their take on jobs, Fed and financial markets Updated: Jul-02-15 4:31 pm
NEW YORK - If investors hoped Thursday's U.S. jobs report would give them clarity, they were probably disappointed.
- US unemployment falls to 7-year low, but wages are flat Updated: Jul-02-15 2:43 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. unemployment fell to a seven-year low of 5.3 percent and employers hired at a solid pace in June, but other gauges of the job market drew a bleaker picture: A wave of people stopped looking for work, and paychecks failed to budge.