- US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany at World Cup Updated: Dec-06-13 9:48 pm
- Something for everyone to talk about in WCup draw Updated: Dec-06-13 5:48 pm
- What they said about the World Cup draw Updated: Dec-06-13 5:34 pm
- World Cup draw: the strong, the weak, the lucky Updated: Dec-06-13 4:53 pm
- Egypt is in official mourning as misery piles up Updated: Nov-22-13 2:07 am
- France, Portugal reach World Cup Updated: Nov-20-13 11:37 am
- Ghana through to World Cup, Egypt misses out Updated: Nov-19-13 3:19 pm
- Ghana reaches 3rd straight World Cup Updated: Nov-19-13 2:06 pm
- Nigeria 1st African team to qualify for World Cup Updated: Nov-16-13 5:35 pm
- Nigeria, Ivory Coast qualify for World Cup Updated: Nov-16-13 5:32 pm
- FIFA assures Ghana officials over Cairo security Updated: Nov-11-13 11:11 am
- Soccer fans, police clash in Cairo before game Updated: Nov-10-13 5:09 pm
The U.S. drew a daunting task for next year's World Cup: difficult opponents, tropical venues and a wearying 9,000-mile zigzag journey across Brazil.
There are scores to settle, family feuds and no shortage of karmic reckoning. For something so random, Friday's World Cup draw delivered a blockbuster mix of intrigue, entertainment and story lines that will keep folks talking from now until the tournament kicks off June 12.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - Coaches and players were quick to react to Friday's World Cup draw. The following is a selection.
Who wound up in difficult groups and who got away easy from Friday's World Cup draw (average world ranking for four teams in parentheses):
CAIRO - In Egypt, misery just keeps piling on and, fittingly, the nation is officially in mourning.
Cristiano Ronaldo scored a dazzling hat trick to lift Portugal into next year's World Cup at the expense of Zlatan Ibrahimovic's Sweden, and France came back in remarkable fashion to overtake Ukraine for a berth in the 32-nation field for next year's tournament in Brazil.
CAIRO - Ghana qualified for the World Cup on Tuesday with a comfortable 7-3 aggregate win over Egypt in the playoffs, claiming the fourth of five African places available at the finals and continuing the Egyptians' long absence from the top tournament.
CAIRO - Ghana qualified for its third straight World Cup, defeating Egypt on 7-3 aggregate with a 2-1 loss Tuesday that knocked out the Pharaohs and American coach Bob Bradley.
CALABAR, Nigeria - Nigeria qualified for the World Cup on Saturday, continuing an outstanding year for the African champion after it claimed the continental title for the first time in nearly two decades.
Nigeria and Ivory Coast have qualified for the World Cup.
FIFA assured Ghana officials Monday that security "guarantees" are in place for next week's World Cup playoff in Egypt. The assurance comes a day after police and fans clashed in Cairo at the African Champions League final.
CAIRO - Police used tear gas to disperse rock-throwing fans outside the stadium before the African Champions League final Sunday, an outburst that has heightened fears for an upcoming World Cup playoff between Egypt and Ghana.