- Racist statements lead lawmakers to reject John Wayne Day Updated: Apr-29-16 8:10 am
SACRAMENTO, California - What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments.
- California lawmakers advance gas moratorium after huge leak Updated: Apr-28-16 2:16 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's state Assembly is advancing legislation to extend the closure of a gas storage facility after it spewed massive amounts of natural gas for nearly four months.
- California bill would extend nanny overtime law Updated: Apr-28-16 1:45 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Senate is backing legislation to permanently extend a temporary law requiring employers to pay domestic workers overtime pay.
- California Legislature approves $16 million for June primary Updated: Apr-28-16 1:31 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's Legislature is approving $16 million to help county election officials deal with a surge of interest in the June primary and a crush of petition signatures for ballot measures.
- Lawmakers give initial OK to California online gambling bill Updated: Apr-27-16 9:10 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - After eight years of failed attempts to pass online gambling, lawmakers are advancing the first proposal that would legalize online poker in California.
- Bill seeks to open California health exchange to immigrants Updated: Apr-26-16 8:27 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's Legislature is considering asking the federal government for permission to sell health insurance through the Covered California exchange to people who can't prove they're legally in the country.
- GOP pushes tax credits as California budget work heats up Updated: Apr-26-16 3:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - As the deadline approaches for Gov. Jerry Brown to release his revised budget proposal, Senate Republicans are advocating a series of tax breaks they say would help low-income families.
- US Senate debate draws contrasts in tone between Democrats Updated: Apr-26-16 3:59 am
STOCKTON, California - What they lacked in policy distinctions the two Democrats vying for California's first open U.S. Senate seat in decades made up for in stylistic differences, with front-runner Attorney General Kamala Harris sticking to an attorney's measured tones and Rep. Loretta Sanchez shooting from the hip and milking every moment for a quip.
- The Latest: Candidates for US Senate meet for first debate Updated: Apr-26-16 12:12 am
STOCKTON, California - The Latest on the U.S. Senate debate (all times local):
- California Senate rejects drug-sentencing legislation Updated: Apr-25-16 10:02 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California state Senate on Monday rejected a bill that would end a practice of extending jail and prison sentences for repeat drug offenders.
- California lawmakers eye $1.3 billion for affordable housing Updated: Apr-25-16 8:01 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democratic lawmakers called Monday for California to spend $1.3 billion next year to help workers afford housing and to shelter homeless people in response to the growing statewide issue.
- California Assembly approves tobacco-free college campuses Updated: Apr-25-16 7:54 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Assembly on Monday approved banning tobacco use on all California State University and community college campuses, building on a package of restrictions already awaiting Gov. Jerry Brown's signature.
- California governor's greenhouse-gas cuts scrutinized Updated: Apr-21-16 8:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The top lawyer for the California Legislature says Gov. Jerry Brown exceeded his authority when he issued an executive order imposing what he called the most aggressive carbon-emission reductions in North America, aligning California with the European Union's aggressive climate change standards.
- California bill to unionize freelancers withdrawn for year Updated: Apr-21-16 5:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A longshot proposal to allow Uber drivers and all other independent contractors in California to unionize is being withdrawn.
- California bill seeks to reduce deportation for minor crimes Updated: Apr-21-16 1:56 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers are moving to protect legal immigrants convicted of low-level offenses from deportation.
- Senate panel blocks bill targeting ride-hailing app pricing Updated: Apr-19-16 10:24 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California Senate on Tuesday blocked legislation aimed at preventing ride-hailing services Uber and Lyft from adjusting their prices based on demand, a practice known as "surge pricing" that is at the heart of the companies' business models.
- California Legislature advances gun-control measures Updated: Apr-19-16 9:18 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California legislative panel has approved seven gun-control bills.
- Lawmakers reject bill for greater twin tunnels scrutiny Updated: Apr-19-16 8:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers have rejected legislation that would have added protections for water contractors in a massive project to ship water from Northern to Southern California through a pair of twin tunnels.
- The Latest: California bill would ban circus elephant hooks Updated: Apr-18-16 8:21 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on action in the California Legislature (all times local):
- California Senate approves ban on powdered alcohol Updated: Apr-18-16 7:40 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Senate has voted to ban powdered alcohol amid concerns that it could be enticing to teens or used in dangerous ways.
- California legislator faces restraining order amid divorce Updated: Apr-15-16 6:38 pm
LOS ANGELES - A California assemblyman has been ordered to keep a safe distance from his estranged wife amid allegations that he physically abused her during their brief marriage.
- Central Valley doctor takes seat in California Assembly Updated: Apr-14-16 2:29 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - An emergency room doctor with a vision to reform health care and secure more water in the Central Valley is beginning a seven-month term in the California Assembly.
- California weighs changing rape statute after Cosby claims Updated: Apr-12-16 8:11 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California bill prompted in part by prosecutors' difficulty in pursuing sexual assault charges against Bill Cosby cleared its first legislative hurdle Tuesday, when it passed a committee that previously rejected efforts to allow prosecutions for crimes that victims say happened long ago.
- California soda tax joins line of failed sugar deterrents Updated: Apr-12-16 6:26 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democratic lawmakers' eighth attempt in six years to change Californians' sugar habits has stalled in the state Legislature.
- Legislative panel backs financial guarantee for LA Olympics Updated: Apr-12-16 4:29 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California legislative panel advanced a bill Tuesday committing the state to cover up to $250 million in cost overruns as part of Los Angeles' bid to host the 2024 Olympics.