- Groups gather at Capitol to push for criminal justice reform Updated: Feb-10-16 3:05 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Civil rights groups are making their case at the Capitol for legislation that would reform Iowa's criminal justice system, though they also recognize the challenges of passing such measures during the current legislative session.
- Some Republicans announce support for medical marijuana bill Updated: Feb-09-16 6:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Some Republican House lawmakers announced their support Tuesday for new legislation that would create a system for manufacturing, distributing and possessing some forms of medical marijuana in Iowa, though it's unclear what type of backing the bill will get from party leaders.
- Iowa Senate OKs 4 percent hike in future K-12 school budget Updated: Feb-09-16 2:12 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Democratic-controlled Iowa Senate has passed legislation that would establish future state aid for K-12 schools, though the funding remains unclear as lawmakers debate more immediate education costs.
- Iowa lawmakers OK bills to raise speed limit on rural roads Updated: Feb-09-16 11:48 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa lawmakers have advanced bills that would raise the speed limit on rural roads despite warnings that the change could lead to more fatal crashes.
- Iowa bill aimed at Stanford band strikes wrong chord Updated: Feb-05-16 12:34 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A bill that sought to punish Stanford University for its band's Rose Bowl halftime show mocking Iowa has been all but buried in the Iowa Senate.
- Iowa Republicans look to eliminate 'sanctuary cities' Updated: Feb-04-16 7:20 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republicans in the Iowa House are seeking to force police and sheriffs' offices to tell U.S. immigration officials when they have someone in custody who is living in the country illegally.
- Iowa Democrats propose bill to end Medicaid privatization Updated: Feb-04-16 5:25 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Senate Democrats said Thursday that they plan to pass a bill next week that would halt Republican Gov. Terry Branstad's plan to turn over management of the state's Medicaid program to three companies, even though there is little chance that the GOP-led House would support it.
- Bill to legalize fireworks in Iowa advances with challenges Updated: Feb-03-16 8:20 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Legislation that would legalize the sale of fireworks in Iowa advanced Wednesday through parts of the Iowa Legislature, though it may face some challenges from lawmakers.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: Feb-01-16 9:05 am
The Des Moines Register. Jan. 28, 2016
- Head of Iowa National Guard: More positions open to women Updated: Jan-27-16 11:38 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The head of the Iowa National Guard says nearly 1,700 positions have been opened up to women this year following a federal policy change.
- Official: $80M renovation of Iowa history museum cuts space Updated: Jan-26-16 8:54 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Officials for the department that oversees Iowa's flagship history museum on Tuesday released details on a nearly $80 million renovation plan for the building, which includes a cut to total square footage but repurposed space for storing artifacts.
- Iowa gay rights group criticizes youth event investigation Updated: Jan-26-16 7:50 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A legislative oversight committee is unfairly targeting a gay rights organization in Iowa over its programming at an annual anti-bullying youth conference, the leader of the group said Tuesday ahead of a meeting to address the issue.
- Iowa Senate leaders release state budget outline Updated: Jan-26-16 2:25 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Democratic-controlled Senate has released a state budget outline slightly below Gov. Terry Branstad's proposal for spending.
- Iowa lawmakers seek clarity on early literacy initiatives Updated: Jan-25-16 8:52 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Several Iowa lawmakers said Monday they want more clarity from education officials on the implementation of early literacy initiatives in the state, a move that puts a spotlight on a law passed several years ago.
- Iowa House panel OKs bill to remove age limit on handgun use Updated: Jan-25-16 7:39 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A House panel in the Iowa Legislature has given initial approval of a bill that would remove the age limit for children to use a handgun under the supervision of a parent.
- As Bloomberg weighs White House run, Iowa voters ask, 'Who?' Updated: Jan-23-16 7:11 pm
DAVENPORT, Iowa - Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's latest flirtation with a White House run has set the political world aflutter.
- Branstad addresses education, water quality in annual speech Updated: Jan-12-16 3:35 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Asking lawmakers to work with him on solutions, Gov. Terry Branstad pledged Tuesday to invest more money in K-12 education and water quality - a promise for the upcoming fiscal year that could hit roadblocks from legislators who disagree on how to fund those priorities.
- Iowa lawmakers open 2016 session, school funding a top issue Updated: Jan-11-16 3:01 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa lawmakers convened Monday for the 2016 legislative session, with a fight looming over how much additional funding to provide to schools in a year with limited new dollars available.