- Usain Bolt points to Rio with more gold in his hands Updated: Aug-30-15 5:05 pm
BEIJING - Hard as this is to believe, there were questions about Usain Bolt when the world championships first started.
- The Latest: Coe gets to work right away as IAAF president Updated: Aug-30-15 1:05 pm
BEIJING - The Latest from the IAAF world championships (all times local):
- Moving on: US bobbles a relay, starts thinking about Rio Updated: Aug-30-15 12:59 pm
BEIJING - For the world's best sprinters, passing the baton in the 4x400 relay is about as easy as rolling out of bed in the morning.
- Carter's cancer rekindles memories of 1980 Olympic boycott Updated: Aug-29-15 3:13 am
ATLANTA - Thirty-five years after his hopes for a gold medal were dashed by Jimmy Carter's boycott of the Moscow Olympics, Craig Beardsley is at peace.
- Danielle Williams wins her 1st world hurdles title at 22 Updated: Aug-28-15 1:56 pm
BEIJING - Danielle Williams glanced to her right after crossing the line in the 100-meter hurdles, looking for her older sister.
- US men claim first USA Volleyball Cup win over Brazil Updated: Aug-27-15 1:12 am
LOS ANGELES - Taylor Sander's kill for match point sealed a 3-2 victory for the United States over top-ranked Brazil in the USA Volleyball Cup on Wednesday night.
- Silva casts off self-doubts to win pole vault gold at worlds Updated: Aug-26-15 1:08 pm
BEIJING - With a strange choice for background music blaring around the Bird's Nest, Yarisley Silva attempted to clear 5.01 meters in the pole vault shortly after winning her first gold medal at the world championships.
- Americans struggle through opening 4 days of worlds Updated: Aug-25-15 12:52 pm
BEIJING - Jenny Simpson lost her left shoe after being stepped on and ran the last lap of the 1,500-meter race with her bare foot striking the surface.
- US draws Canada, Cuba, Panama for Olympic qualifying Updated: Aug-18-15 8:30 pm
The United States men's national team has been drawn into a group with Canada, Cuba and Panama for CONCACAF Olympic qualifying.
- Palomino leads USA past Japan 8-1 for junior world title Updated: Aug-16-15 12:06 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - Even as the United States' players were being awarded gold medals, their minds were elsewhere.
- Bolt back at Bird's Nest for world championships Updated: Aug-14-15 11:24 am
They burst onto the sports scene together, seven summers ago.
- Turkish medalist among 28 positive for banned substance Updated: Aug-14-15 6:33 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish 10,000-meter runner Elvan Abeylegesse could be stripped of silver medals from the world championships and Olympics after testing positive for steroids in a reanalysis of her doping samples.
- US men's basketball looks ready for Rio after minicamp Updated: Aug-14-15 2:32 am
LAS VEGAS - While many countries are still trying to qualify for the Olympics, the U.S. is already lining up guys to play.
- Swimmers sickened after Rio race worry about 2016 Olympics Updated: Aug-12-15 10:08 am
Reports of dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria in Rio de Janeiro's waters have raised - and renewed - fears that athletes are at risk of getting sick at next summer's Olympics.
- Michael Phelps back on top as focus turns to Rio Olympics Updated: Aug-11-15 1:29 am
SAN ANTONIO - Michael Phelps already has far more medals than any Olympic athlete.
- Russia's new 'sports capital' has Olympic ambitions Updated: Aug-10-15 8:53 am
KAZAN, Russia - The city calling itself "Russia's sports capital" isn't Moscow, St. Petersburg or even last year's Winter Olympic host Sochi. Instead it's Kazan, a provincial city with global ambitions.
- Midnight at the pool: Swimmers face late nights at Rio Games Updated: Aug-10-15 6:11 am
KAZAN, Russia - One prominent swimming coach called it "irresponsible." Another labeled it a "business decision."
- Sun Yang is no-show for 1,500 free final at worlds Updated: Aug-09-15 3:12 pm
KAZAN, Russia - No sooner had Sun Yang returned to the top of the podium with two victories at the world swimming championships than the Chinese star was enveloped in mystery.
- Former South Dakota athlete aims for Canadian Olympic team Updated: Aug-07-15 12:05 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A former University of South Dakota athlete in her 30s has set her sights on making the Canadian Olympic team as a pole vaulter, saying it's never too late to try things.
- USA Basketball expects 34 at men's minicamp Updated: Aug-06-15 3:53 pm
LeBron James, Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony are among 34 players expected next week at the U.S. men's Basketball minicamp, indicating their possible interest in chasing a third Olympic gold medal.