- 2 inmates kill prisoner at Northern California prison Updated: Sep-01-15 10:08 pm
SUSANVILLE, California - Officials say two inmates attacked and killed another prisoner with a manufactured weapon on a maximum-security yard of a Northern California prison.
- Short-term rental sites must warn tenants of eviction risk Updated: Sep-01-15 8:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Short-term rental housing websites such as Airbnb and VRBO will be required to warn users that they may be violating their leases under a new California law.
- Bill offers state tax help for former Corinthian students Updated: Sep-01-15 7:47 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Californians who had their student loans forgiven after the collapse of Corinthian Colleges this year could get a state income tax break.
- California lawmakers advance aid-in-dying bill on second try Updated: Sep-01-15 7:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers approved legislation Tuesday that would allow terminally ill patients to take life-ending medications, after an effort to pass a similar right-to-die bill stalled in the Legislature.
- California Assembly Republicans pick leader, delay switch Updated: Sep-01-15 7:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Republicans in the California state Assembly have chosen a new leader, but will delay the transition until next year.
- California governor approves hiking ballot initiative fee Updated: Sep-01-15 7:02 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation raising the cost to submit a ballot initiative in California to $2,000.
- Brown extends California colleges' reach in sexual assaults Updated: Sep-01-15 7:02 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown has approved legislation allowing California community colleges to suspend or expel students for off-campus sexual assaults.
- Bill would extend California imports of kangaroo leather Updated: Sep-01-15 5:53 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A state lawmaker is introducing last-minute legislation to allow California merchants to continue selling products made from kangaroo leather, such as soccer cleats.
- California Assembly OKs banning concealed weapons at schools Updated: Sep-01-15 3:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Assembly has approved a bill that would ban concealed weapons from schools and universities throughout the state.
- 73 San Quentin inmates with Legionnaires' disease symptoms Updated: Aug-31-15 10:50 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Officials say the number of inmates at San Quentin State Prison showing respiratory illness symptoms increased to 73.
- Senate rejects bill preventing tickets for sleeping in cars Updated: Aug-31-15 7:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Lawmakers have rejected a bill that would block California cities and counties from giving parking tickets to people found sleeping in legally parked cars.
- Bill would ban naming public sites after Confederate leaders Updated: Aug-31-15 7:05 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers on Monday advanced a bill to ban schools, parks and other public property from being named after elected leaders or senior military officers of the Confederacy.
- Lawmakers send hit-and-run alert proposal to governor again Updated: Aug-31-15 4:50 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California state lawmakers are once again sending Gov. Jerry Brown a bill to establish an alert system for catching hit-and-run drivers.
- 6 San Quentin inmates ill with Legionnaires' disease Updated: Aug-30-15 7:23 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - At least six San Quentin State Prison inmates were ill with Legionnaires' disease and dozens more under observation Sunday, prompting a weekend halt to visitors, no hot meals and limited drinking water supplies at California's oldest prison.
- Pro teams push California to offer high-stakes raffles Updated: Aug-29-15 2:26 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The pitch is for charity, but the call could favor California's professional sports teams.
- Panel: Release inmate convicted of killing San Diego officer Updated: Aug-29-15 12:59 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Parole officials on Friday recommended releasing a man convicted of gunning down a San Diego police officer 37 years ago as a teenage gang member.
- Key committee fails to take up California minimum wage bill Updated: Aug-27-15 8:40 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Lawmakers declined Thursday to take up a bill that would raise California's minimum wage and tie future increases to inflation, likely stalling the effort for this year.
- AP EXCLUSIVE: Chairman promises review of unspent charity Updated: Aug-27-15 7:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Nearly $10 million in charitable donations by California taxpayers sat unspent in government accounts at the end of last year, The Associated Press has found, and the Senate Governance and Finance Committee chairman said Thursday that he wants a review of state accounts and will hold a hearing to find out why the money hasn't been spent.
- California Senate advances vaping, smoking regulation bills Updated: Aug-27-15 7:04 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democratic lawmakers advanced a package of tobacco regulation bills on Thursday, reviving proposals that earlier stalled in the Legislature amid opposition from tobacco companies.
- California Assembly OKs ending use of bullhooks on elephants Updated: Aug-27-15 6:41 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California state Assembly has passed a bill to ban the use of bullhooks to guide and discipline elephants.
- California lawmakers approve equal pay protections for women Updated: Aug-27-15 6:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's state Assembly on Thursday approved legislation aimed at closing the wage gap between women and men through what proponents describe as the strongest equal pay protection in the nation.
- Judge won't toss charges in Chinatown racketeering case Updated: Aug-27-15 4:00 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge refused Thursday to throw out a racketeering case against a man arrested in a money laundering and corruption probe centered in San Francisco's Chinatown that also led to charges against a California state senator.
- Traffic stop leads to pot seizure, Oakland man's arrest Updated: Aug-27-15 9:03 am
SANTA ROSA, California - The California Highway Patrol has seized 225 pounds of marijuana from an Oakland man who was pulled over on Highway 101.
- Bill would raise California cigarette tax by $2 per pack Updated: Aug-26-15 9:49 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A bill to raise California's cigarette tax by $2 per pack was introduced Wednesday in the state Senate, a hike that supporters say would curb smoking deaths and critics argue would place an unnecessary burden on consumers and small businesses.
- Bill requires prosecution of transferred immigrants Updated: Aug-26-15 9:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Seeking to prevent another tragedy like the July killing of a woman on a San Francisco pier, Republican state lawmakers on Wednesday proposed legislation that would prevent California cities from accepting federal transfers of immigrant prisoners unless local prosecutors commit to pursuing felony charges.