- California Senate votes to reduce prostitution sentences Updated: May-02-16 7:21 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Senate is backing legislation to eliminate mandatory minimum sentences for people caught repeatedly engaging in prostitution.
- California Assembly OKs bid for more mail-in vote designees Updated: May-02-16 7:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Assembly has approved a bill that would allow voters to designate anyone to turn in their mail-in ballots for them.
- Moratorium at gas-leak facility sent to California governor Updated: May-02-16 6:09 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers are sending Gov. Jerry Brown legislation to extend the closure of a gas storage facility after it spewed massive amounts of natural gas for nearly four months.
- California to Florida: We're better, and stop the stunts Updated: May-02-16 12:55 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - California's governor is ripping into Florida Gov. Rick Scott and his latest effort to try to convince companies to move to Florida.
- Baby girl killed when Porsche falls down mountain road Updated: May-01-16 11:34 pm
PALM DESERT, California - Authorities say a 5-month-old girl was killed after being thrown off a Porsche as it fell 200 feet down the side of a mountain road in Palm Desert.
- GOP Senate candidates make pitches at state convention Updated: May-01-16 7:08 pm
BURLINGAME, California - Republican candidates for U.S. Senate made cameo appearances Sunday before a sparse crowd at a state party convention, underscoring the scant public attention the contest has generated in a state dominated by Democrats.
- Coastal Commission staff recommends Newport Beach project Updated: Apr-30-16 4:17 pm
NEWPORT BEACH, California - Two months after the head of the California Coastal Commission was fired, its staff has recommended approval of a plan to build nearly 900 homes and a hotel near Newport Beach.
- California media specialist, Republican aide dies at age 38 Updated: Apr-29-16 9:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Julie Soderlund, a California communications strategist and aide to high-ranking Republicans including former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, died Thursday at the age of 38 after a nine-month battle with cancer.
- The Latest: Kasich calls for balance on gay rights, religion Updated: Apr-29-16 7:40 pm
BURLINGAME, California - The Latest on the California Republican Party's convention, a stage for the GOP presidential candidates (all times local):
- Racist statements lead lawmakers to reject John Wayne Day Updated: Apr-29-16 8:10 am
SACRAMENTO, California - What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments.
- California utility casts doubt on blame for deadly wildfire Updated: Apr-29-16 5:09 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The state of California is seeking more than $90 million in firefighting costs from Pacific Gas & Electric Co. after finding that a deadly 2015 fire was sparked by a tree that came into contact with a power line, but the utility says it's not clear that it was to blame for the tree.
- The Latest: Utility says blame for 2015 wildfire is unclear Updated: Apr-28-16 11:32 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on the cause of a deadly 2015 wildfire (all times local):
- California bill would extend nanny overtime law Updated: Apr-28-16 1:45 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Senate is backing legislation to permanently extend a temporary law requiring employers to pay domestic workers overtime pay.
- California Legislature approves $16 million for June primary Updated: Apr-28-16 1:31 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's Legislature is approving $16 million to help county election officials deal with a surge of interest in the June primary and a crush of petition signatures for ballot measures.
- 1 killed, 1 injured in collision on I-105 in south LA Updated: Apr-28-16 8:39 am
LOS ANGELES - The California Highway Patrol says a 25-year-old woman was killed and a second person injured in a two-vehicle crash on westbound Interstate 105 in south Los Angeles.
- Lawmakers give initial OK to California online gambling bill Updated: Apr-27-16 9:10 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - After eight years of failed attempts to pass online gambling, lawmakers are advancing the first proposal that would legalize online poker in California.
- Wrong-way driver causes crash, runs from LA freeway Updated: Apr-27-16 12:40 pm
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles authorities are searching for a man who drove the wrong way on westbound U.S. 101 and slammed into a big rig and two cars before running from the scene.
- 1 dead in multi-vehicle crash east of San Francisco Updated: Apr-27-16 10:11 am
PLEASANTON, California - Four cars and a big rig were involved in a collision east of San Francisco Wednesday morning that killed one person and snarled the morning commute.
- Bill seeks to open California health exchange to immigrants Updated: Apr-26-16 8:27 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's Legislature is considering asking the federal government for permission to sell health insurance through the Covered California exchange to people who can't prove they're legally in the country.
- GOP pushes tax credits as California budget work heats up Updated: Apr-26-16 3:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - As the deadline approaches for Gov. Jerry Brown to release his revised budget proposal, Senate Republicans are advocating a series of tax breaks they say would help low-income families.
- Motorcyclist killed in 4-vehicle crash on LA County freeway Updated: Apr-26-16 10:39 am
COMPTON, California - Northbound traffic is moving again on Interstate 710 in Compton after being shut down following a four-vehicle crash that killed a 24-year-old motorcyclist.
- US Senate debate draws contrasts in tone between Democrats Updated: Apr-26-16 3:59 am
STOCKTON, California - What they lacked in policy distinctions the two Democrats vying for California's first open U.S. Senate seat in decades made up for in stylistic differences, with front-runner Attorney General Kamala Harris sticking to an attorney's measured tones and Rep. Loretta Sanchez shooting from the hip and milking every moment for a quip.
- The Latest: Candidates for US Senate meet for first debate Updated: Apr-26-16 12:12 am
STOCKTON, California - The Latest on the U.S. Senate debate (all times local):
- California Senate rejects drug-sentencing legislation Updated: Apr-25-16 10:02 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California state Senate on Monday rejected a bill that would end a practice of extending jail and prison sentences for repeat drug offenders.
- California lawmakers eye $1.3 billion for affordable housing Updated: Apr-25-16 8:01 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democratic lawmakers called Monday for California to spend $1.3 billion next year to help workers afford housing and to shelter homeless people in response to the growing statewide issue.