- California corrections chief aims to change prison culture Updated: Feb-10-16 2:22 am
SACRAMENTO, California - California's new corrections chief plans to add training on diversity and leadership for prison employees and to examine what has been effective in other states to change employees' attitudes as he tries to alter a culture that often pits prison guards against inmates and outsiders.
- Exit of California Senate candidate could help ailing GOP Updated: Feb-09-16 8:05 pm
LOS ANGELES - The sudden withdrawal of one of the Republican candidates in California's U.S. Senate race could help a party that's been battered in recent statewide elections, although Democrats remain favorites to hold the seat now occupied by Sen. Barbara Boxer.
- Lawmakers unveil California health plan tax proposal Updated: Feb-08-16 9:24 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Legislature on Monday unveiled a bill imposing a new tax on health insurance plans that would prevent a massive $1.1 billion hole in the state budget.
- Inmate death being investigated as homicide Updated: Feb-08-16 7:03 pm
LANCASTER, California - Officials at a Los Angeles County state prison say they are investigating the death of an inmate found unresponsive in his cell as a homicide and that his cellmate is a suspect.
- Citing huge patient load, NY nurses seek rules on staffing Updated: Feb-08-16 6:37 pm
ALBANY, New York - When the emergency room fills up - whether it's a big accident, flu season or a stroke of misfortune - Brooklyn nurse Rose Green says she can find herself sprinting from room to room, trying to keep ahead of the whims of calamity.
- Woman's body, car found in ocean off Ventura County Updated: Feb-08-16 11:38 am
VENTURA, California - Ventura County sheriff's officials say a woman's body and a car have been found in the ocean along Pacific Coast Highway near Mugu Rock.
- North Carolina Gov. McCrory in minor crash after Super Bowl Updated: Feb-08-16 8:04 am
SANTA CLARA, California - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory sustained minor injuries after the vehicle he was riding in was rear-ended shortly after the Carolina Panthers' Super Bowl loss.
- 3 killed after brief police chase in San Francisco streets Updated: Feb-07-16 2:49 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Three people died in a fiery crash after a car fleeing authorities crashed into a taxi in San Francisco streets, officials said Sunday.
- Washington bill seeks partial automatic voter registration Updated: Feb-06-16 11:41 am
OLYMPIA, Washington - Months after Washington state saw record low voter turnout, several lawmakers and Secretary of State Kim Wyman say they want to help increase engagement with automatic voter registration for some.
- Calif. attorney joins effort to recover Nazi-looted painting Updated: Feb-05-16 7:07 pm
LOS ANGELES - California's attorney general is asking a federal appeals court to reverse a ruling allowing a priceless 19th century painting to remain in a Spanish museum rather than going to the heirs of a Jewish woman forced to hand it over to the Nazis during the Holocaust.
- Executive facing ouster from powerful agency defends tenure Updated: Feb-05-16 4:24 pm
LOS ANGELES - The top executive at the powerful California Coastal Commission defended his record on the job Friday as he faced an effort to oust him, a potential shake-up that environmentalists fear could unleash runaway development on the state's fabled coastline.
- Man charged with stabbing SF officer appears in court Updated: Feb-05-16 10:26 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A man charged with attempted murder and assault on a peace officer made his first appearance in court but did not enter a plea.
- Harris pads fundraising edge in California Senate race Updated: Feb-03-16 9:49 pm
LOS ANGELES - California Attorney General Kamala Harris is gradually padding her fundraising edge in the state's U.S. Senate race.
- Lawmaker seeks to dissolve California utilities regulator Updated: Feb-03-16 9:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A Southern California lawmaker said Wednesday that he will seek to bypass Gov. Jerry Brown and ask voters to break apart California's utilities regulator following allegations of wrongdoing.
- Analyst: California teacher pension changes may need fix Updated: Feb-02-16 9:05 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - State lawmakers should consider changing a plan they adopted two years ago to stabilize the finances of California's teacher pension system, the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst's Office said Tuesday.
- California Highway Patrol officer stabbed in San Francisco Updated: Feb-02-16 7:24 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - An attacker stabbed a California Highway Patrol officer multiple times on Tuesday in San Francisco and was caught at a bank a mile from the downtown site of Super Bowl festivities.
- The Latest: CHP officer in stable condition after stabbing Updated: Feb-02-16 6:53 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on the stabbing of a California Highway Patrol officer in San Francisco (all times local):
- Regulators: Fresno County responsible for pipeline explosion Updated: Feb-02-16 12:41 pm
FRESNO, California - The California Public Utilities Commission determined that Fresno County was responsible for a deadly April pipeline explosion at a shooting range in Fresno.
- Partnership formed to increase controlled fires in Calif. Updated: Feb-02-16 4:02 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Environmental groups and federal and state agencies have formed a partnership to increase the use of prescribed fires to improve the health of California's forests and watersheds and minimize the effects of increasingly devastating wildfires.
- Powerful winds persist as winter storm lashes California Updated: Feb-01-16 6:32 pm
LOS ANGELES - Powerful winds lashed Southern California on Monday at the tail end of a winter storm that also brought heavy rain and mountain snow.
- The Latest: Strong winds persist as storm lashes California Updated: Feb-01-16 9:08 am
LOS ANGELES - The Latest on a winter storm lashing California (all times local):
- California regulators: Rooftop solar customers keep credit Updated: Jan-28-16 7:43 pm
FRESNO, California - California homeowners and businesses installing rooftop solar panels can keep offsetting their energy bills by sending surplus power back to the grid, regulators said Thursday in a decision celebrated by the solar industry.
- Skeptics question proposed criminal sentences ballot measure Updated: Jan-28-16 5:37 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown's proposal to revamp California's criminal sentencing laws could have unintended consequences, skeptics said, even as it takes the next step in meeting a federal requirement for the state to reduce its prison population.
- Bullet train chairman projects lower cost, longer timeline Updated: Jan-27-16 7:24 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The chairman of the board that oversees California's high-speed rail project said Wednesday that the next projection will likely lower the cost of building the train route from the current $68 billion, but he is less confident about its current predictions for how quickly the system can be built.
- The Latest: California governor proposes sentencing reforms Updated: Jan-27-16 6:59 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on Gov. Jerry Brown's proposal to reform sentencing (all times local):