- Suicide spike boosts oversight of California women's prison Updated: Aug-01-15 12:10 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A spike in suicides and attempted suicides has prompted corrections officials to step up oversight at a California women's prison as inspectors try to pinpoint the cause of the troubling increase.
- Bomb threat forces evacuation of CHP building in LA Updated: Jul-28-15 10:31 pm
LOS ANGELES - A California Highway Patrol communications center in Los Angeles was evacuated for several hours Tuesday afternoon because of a bomb threat.
- California Supreme Court: Wills may be amended after death Updated: Jul-28-15 6:37 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The California Supreme Court says wills may be amended after death if there is clear evidence they don't accurately reflect their authors' wishes.
- Planned US ivory rules not fazing California Chinatown shops Updated: Jul-28-15 2:41 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Ivory dealers in San Francisco's Chinatown stood in their shop doors next to windows full of carved ivory tusks and trinkets, unfazed by proposed federal rules that the White House says go as far as possible to ban the U.S. trade of ivory from the world's endangered elephants.
- California to review video targeting Planned Parenthood Updated: Jul-25-15 12:12 am
SACRAMENTO, California - California Attorney General Kamala Harris said Friday that she plans to review two undercover videos released by anti-abortion activists aimed at discrediting Planned Parenthood's procedures for providing fetal tissue to researchers, to see if any laws were broken.
- California state senators heading to Mexico on 4-day trip Updated: Jul-24-15 7:40 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democratic members of the California state Senate are heading to Mexico for a four-day trip to improve government relations.
- Scott Walker to headline California Republican fall meeting Updated: Jul-23-15 12:56 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Republican Party says Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker will headline its fall convention in Anaheim.
- California Supreme Court weighs in on marriage separation Updated: Jul-20-15 7:05 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - California couples thinking about ending their marriage got guidance Monday from the state Supreme Court: They must live in different homes to qualify as legally separated and keep some of their income from their spouse during any divorce proceedings.
- California freeway bridge collapses, blocking Ariz. traffic Updated: Jul-20-15 2:01 am
LOS ANGELES - An elevated section of Interstate 10 collapsed Sunday amid heavy rains in the California desert, injuring one driver, stranding many others, and halting travel for thousands by cutting off both directions of a main corridor between Southern California and Arizona.
- Bus-safety mandates introduced after deadly California crash Updated: Jul-17-15 9:20 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California state lawmaker proposed sweeping bus-safety reforms Friday that were recommended by federal officials who investigated a fiery bus crash that killed five high school students on a tour last year.
- California tobacco bills reintroduced for special session Updated: Jul-16-15 9:15 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democratic lawmakers in California reintroduced a package of tobacco regulation bills on Thursday after the same proposals stalled in the Legislature earlier this month.
- California bill ends grand jury hearings for police killings Updated: Jul-16-15 1:47 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Assembly has narrowly advanced legislation to end the use of secret grand jury proceedings to investigate police shootings.
- California Assembly OKs warnings for Airbnb-type rentals Updated: Jul-16-15 1:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Legislation advancing in California would require short-term rental housing websites including Airbnb to warn users they may be violating their leases.
- CHP officer among 2 hospitalized following collision Updated: Jul-16-15 9:04 am
IRVINE, California - A California Highway Patrol officer and another motorist were hospitalized following a crash at an Orange County intersection.
- CHP arrest Sutter woman who ran over, killed husband Updated: Jul-16-15 8:44 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A Sutter woman has been accused of running over her husband while he was inside a tent, killing the man.
- Lawmakers shelve bill to change voter-approved crime measure Updated: Jul-15-15 9:03 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers are shelving a bill intended to change a voter-approved initiative that reduced criminal penalties for some non-violent offenders.
- Uber fined $7M for keeping info from California regulators Updated: Jul-15-15 8:47 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Uber picked up a hefty tab Wednesday when a judge fined the taxi-alternative's California subsidiary $7.3 million for refusing to give state regulators information about its business practices, including when its drivers turn down ride requests and how accessible vehicles are to disabled riders.
- California Senate candidate Sanchez trails rival on funds Updated: Jul-15-15 8:41 pm
LOS ANGELES - California Rep. Loretta Sanchez raised $618,000 in her first six weeks as a U.S. Senate candidate, according to figures released Wednesday, well short of the pace she will need to keep up with fundraising by her chief rival, Attorney General Kamala Harris.
- New California law recognizes cheerleaders as employees Updated: Jul-15-15 6:54 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown has approved legislation recognizing California's professional cheerleaders as employees who are entitled to minimum wage and overtime.
- California farmers market vendors may offer beer tasting Updated: Jul-15-15 4:58 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Let the suds flow at California's farmers markets.
- Motorcyclist dies in collision with deputy's vehicle Updated: Jul-15-15 9:10 am
BAKERSFIELD, California - California Highway Patrol is investigating the death of a motorcyclist who crashed into a deputy's vehicle in Bakersfield.
- Brown approves legislation preventing fines for brown lawns Updated: Jul-13-15 9:05 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation to protect California residents who let their lawns go brown during the drought.
- Lawmakers send grocery worker protection bill to governor Updated: Jul-13-15 8:23 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - State lawmakers sent Gov. Jerry Brown a bill Monday to protect grocery workers in California from being fired for 90 days after a store changes ownership.
- Bill seeks disclosure of construction settlements Updated: Jul-13-15 7:54 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Construction companies will have to disclose building defects such as those that could have contributed to a deadly balcony collapse in Berkeley under a state legislative proposal that will be heard for the first time Tuesday.
- California begins to regain control of prison health care Updated: Jul-13-15 4:59 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California on Monday began regaining responsibility for its prison health care system after nearly a decade of federal control and billions of dollars in improvements.