- Watchdog: Journalists face 'unprecedented' threats in Egypt Updated: Jun-25-15 12:26 am
CAIRO - Journalists face unprecedented threats in President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi's Egypt, a watchdog group said Thursday, with the highest number behind bars since it began keeping records in 1990.
- Al-Jazeera journalist criticizes Germany for his detention Updated: Jun-23-15 9:49 am
BERLIN - An Al-Jazeera journalist temporarily detained in Berlin on an Egyptian arrest warrant is criticizing Germany for taking him into custody.
- Obama administration criticizes Egypt in report to Congress Updated: Jun-08-15 2:09 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration has sent Congress a report that harshly criticizes the Egyptian government of restricting free speech, arresting political dissidents and undermining democracy, but recommends the U.S. continue sending it $1.3 billion in mostly military aid.
- A year in office, el-Sissi tries to rule Egypt as 1-man show Updated: Jun-06-15 12:47 pm
CAIRO - The words of the pro-government TV talk show host left no room for debate. President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi is synonymous with Egypt, he lectured his audience, and Egyptians are either on his side or are enemies of the nation.
- Egypt's el-Sissi heads to Germany, seeking Western support Updated: Jun-02-15 12:56 pm
CAIRO - Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi travels to Berlin on Tuesday, where German leaders are ready to roll out the red carpet for the ex-general despite what monitors describe as his government's abysmal human rights record.