- Something for everyone to talk about in WCup draw Updated: Dec-06-13 5:48 pm
- What they said about the World Cup draw Updated: Dec-06-13 5:34 pm
- Amazon city is World Cup winner Updated: Dec-06-13 5:24 pm
- World Cup draw: the strong, the weak, the lucky Updated: Dec-06-13 4:53 pm
- How Switzerland joined the World Cup seeded elite Updated: Dec-02-13 12:24 pm
- Gianluca Zambrotta to coach Swiss club Chiasso Updated: Nov-27-13 10:50 am
- 5 things to know about the Europa League Updated: Nov-27-13 10:46 am
- Doping team visits Bayern as FIFA tests top stars Updated: Nov-14-13 7:39 am
- FIFA fines Poland, England for World Cup incidents Updated: Nov-13-13 12:27 pm
- Swiss lab to handle drug tests at World Cup Updated: Nov-12-13 3:57 pm
- FIFA fines Croatia, Greece over fan racism Updated: Nov-09-13 11:38 am
There are scores to settle, family feuds and no shortage of karmic reckoning. For something so random, Friday's World Cup draw delivered a blockbuster mix of intrigue, entertainment and story lines that will keep folks talking from now until the tournament kicks off June 12.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - Coaches and players were quick to react to Friday's World Cup draw. The following is a selection.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - The Amazonian jungle city of Manaus was the big winner at the World Cup draw.
Who wound up in difficult groups and who got away easy from Friday's World Cup draw (average world ranking for four teams in parentheses):
GENEVA - There is one certainty among many possibilities offered by the World Cup draw Friday: Most teams want to be in Switzerland's group.
CHIASSO, Switzerland - Italian World Cup-winning defender Gianluca Zambrotta has been promoted to player-coach at struggling Swiss second-tier club Chiasso.
LONDON - Several teams have already ensured their passage into the next round of the Europa League, so now first place in the group is the target.
JOHANNESBURG - FIFA is creating blood and urine profiles of the world's top players with unannounced visits by an anti-doping team to clubs like Champions League winner Bayern Munich, ensuring the stars are under scrutiny ahead of next year's World Cup.
ZURICH - FIFA has fined the English and Polish football associations for crowd trouble at their World Cup qualifying match at Wembley Stadium last month.
JOHANNESBURG - FIFA will use a laboratory in Switzerland to handle drug testing during the 2014 World Cup because the facility in Brazil will not be ready.
ZURICH - FIFA has warned and fined World Cup playoffs teams Croatia and Greece for fans' racist behavior at qualifying matches last month.