- Germany cites free speech amid Polish ire at Carnival float Updated: Feb-10-16 8:42 am
BERLIN - The German government has rejected any suggestion it might take action over a Carnival float that drew the ire of Poland's government.
- Poland to ask Germany about satirical Carnival float Updated: Feb-09-16 9:44 am
WARSAW, Poland - The Polish government has taken offense at a German Carnival float that satirizes the country's ruling party leader, Jaroslaw Kaczynski, and plans to raise the matter with the German government, Poland's foreign minister said Tuesday.
- How to fix the euro: Top bankers urge closer ties Updated: Feb-08-16 8:44 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - The top central bankers from France and Germany are joining in an appeal to fix longstanding flaws in the euro currency by more closely integrating their economies and putting more authority over financial policies at the European level.
- The Latest: Japan mulls sanctions after NKorea launch Updated: Feb-07-16 11:28 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The Latest on North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket (all times local):
- As Europe grapples with migrant influx, benefits limited Updated: Feb-02-16 9:38 am
BERLIN - Germany is mulling taking away benefits from asylum-seekers if they refuse to try to learn the language and integrate; Denmark has just approved a measure to let police seize valuables from migrants to help cover their housing and food costs; and an Austrian province this week is expected to more than halve payments to many refugees.
- Germany's Merkel presses Putin on Ukraine separatists Updated: Feb-02-16 5:46 am
BERLIN - The German government says Chancellor Angela Merkel has urged President Vladimir Putin to use Russia's influence with separatists in eastern Ukraine to help secure progress toward a political solution.
- Russian FM: Germany should release info on rumored abduction Updated: Jan-28-16 5:59 am
MOSCOW - Russia's foreign minister is calling on Germany to provide information on the investigation into the temporary disappearance of a teenage German-Russian girl and denies that Moscow is interfering in the matter.
- Merkel and Davutoglu seek solutions to migrant crisis Updated: Jan-22-16 12:33 pm
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu pledged Friday to continue to work intensively together to solve Europe's migrant crisis - not only to stem the flow of people but to improve conditions in camps in Turkey and to try and bring about a peace deal in Syria.
- Obama calls Germany's Merkel to talk Syrian refugee crisis Updated: Jan-21-16 7:01 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is trying to round up support for his plans to host a high-level summit on refugees at the United Nations later this year.
- Germany: 3 ex-Red Army Faction suspects linked to robberies Updated: Jan-19-16 3:29 pm
BERLIN - Three former members of the disbanded leftist militant group Red Army Faction have been linked to two botched armored car robberies after spending years in hiding, in what German authorities said Tuesday may have been attempts to continue financing their life underground.
- The Latest: Massachusetts man freed from Iran returns home Updated: Jan-18-16 12:16 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The latest developments as Iran and world powers implement a landmark deal reached last year to curb Iran's nuclear activities in exchange for the lifting of international sanctions (all times local).
- German finance chief floats gasoline tax in migrant crisis Updated: Jan-16-16 7:38 am
BERLIN - Germany's finance minister on Saturday floated the idea of a European tax on gasoline to help finance the continent's efforts to manage the migrant crisis.
- Istanbul suicide bomber registered as refugee before attack Updated: Jan-13-16 5:01 pm
ISTANBUL - The suicide attacker who detonated a bomb that killed 10 German tourists in the heart of Istanbul's historic district had registered as a refugee just a week earlier, Turkish officials said Wednesday, raising questions over whether extremists are posing as asylum-seekers to inflame anti-immigrant sentiment in Europe.
- 10 dead, 15 wounded in Istanbul tourist district explosion Updated: Jan-12-16 10:52 am
ISTANBUL - A suicide bomber affiliated with the Islamic State group detonated a bomb in a historic district of Istanbul popular with tourists Tuesday morning, killing at least 10 people - nine of them German tourists - and wounding 15 others, Turkish officials said.
- FM: Poland's democracy doing better than it seems outside Updated: Jan-11-16 9:18 am
WARSAW, Poland - The shape of Poland's democracy under the new right-wing government is better than some foreign commentators suggest, the foreign minister said Monday, inviting German politicians to visit and check.