- The Latest: Estonia nationalist party wants vote on refugees Updated: Oct-07-15 11:20 am
BRUSSELS - The latest developments as hundreds of thousands of people seeking safety make an epic trek through Europe. All times local.
- Germany and France try to turn tide of European skepticism Updated: Oct-07-15 11:01 am
STRASBOURG, France - German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Francois Hollande urged European lawmakers on Wednesday to pull together as multiple crises close in, a highly unusual bid to heal divisions within the European Union caused by the influx of refugees, debt crises and encroaching nationalist sentiment.
- The Latest: Israeli PM cancels trip to Germany amid violence Updated: Oct-07-15 9:01 am
JERUSALEM - The latest developments in ongoing tensions between Palestinians and Israelis following days of violence in Jerusalem and the West Bank (all times local).
- Berlin meeting between German, Israeli leaders called off Updated: Oct-07-15 7:38 am
BERLIN - A meeting between the German and Israeli leaders that was scheduled for Thursday has been canceled because of the security situation in Israel.
- The Latest: UN official warns EU on 'hotspot' migrant triage Updated: Oct-06-15 1:55 pm
GENEVA - The latest developments as hundreds of thousands of people seeking safety make an epic trek through Europe. All times local.
- AP Interview: Germany still untangling Nazis' legal legacy Updated: Oct-06-15 10:01 am
BERLIN - Germany's justice ministry is embarked on a wide-ranging effort to examine the influence that the Nazis had on the country's legal system, including the role some German officials played in preventing former Nazis from being prosecuted after the war.
- Europe, US split over form of Syria talks Updated: Oct-01-15 11:17 am
UNITED NATIONS - Nine nations or five? In speeches at this year's U.N. gathering of world leaders, major powers are increasing calls for multilateral negotiations to end the war in Syria. But Europe and the United States are split on who should be at the table.
- The Latest: Russia could strike beyond Syria, exec suggests Updated: Sep-30-15 12:37 pm
MOSCOW - The latest developments as Russia and other nations counter Islamic State militants in Syria. All times local:
- Police present flag to German Chancellor at 9/11 memorial Updated: Sep-26-15 9:41 pm
NEW YORK - Germany Chancellor Angela Merkel tells officials she plans to fly a World Trade Center memorial flag at the German Chancellery in honor of the 37 police officers with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey who died in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
- Top German military officer dies in northern Iraq Updated: Sep-23-15 3:34 pm
BAGHDAD - The German Defense Ministy says the head of its training mission in Iraq's self-ruled Kurdish region has passed away.
- VW CEO: 'I am endlessly sorry' brand is tarnished Updated: Sep-22-15 11:47 pm
DETROIT - Volkswagen AG's smog-test scandal escalated Tuesday as the company acknowledged putting stealth software in millions of vehicles worldwide. The crisis has already cost VW more than 24 billion euros ($26 billion) in market value.
- Kerry: US to accept 85,000 refugees in 2016, 100,000 in 2017 Updated: Sep-20-15 3:56 pm
BERLIN - Scrambling to address a growing Syrian refugee crisis, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry announced Sunday that the United States would significantly increase the number of worldwide migrants it takes in over the next two years, though not by nearly the amount many activists and former officials have urged.
- Stark contrasts in Europe's welcome to migrants Updated: Sep-15-15 9:54 am
MALMO, Sweden - The bleary-eyed travelers arriving in Malmo's glass-and-steel train station agreed on one thing: Sweden was a better place to go than Denmark, which has cut welfare benefits for refugees.
- Migrant crisis adjusts Merkel's image, but style unchanged Updated: Sep-13-15 2:56 pm
BERLIN - In the space of two months, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has gone from being portrayed as the heartless villain in Europe's debt crisis to the heroine of those flooding in to find refuge on the continent.
- Germany aims to quash rumors about migrants' prospects Updated: Sep-11-15 11:26 am
BERLIN - Germany's foreign ministry said Friday it has launched a campaign to dispel "myths" about the country's willingness to take in migrants, and the conditions they might expect to find if they do come.