- Correction: Australia-Obit-Great Escape story Updated: Sep-02-15 4:52 am
CANBERRA, Australia - In a story Aug. 28 about a World War II Australian pilot who took part in a mass escape from a German prison camp, The Associated Press reported erroneously that one of the three prisoners who successfully made it home was Danish. He was, in fact, Dutch.
- More people attending Revolutionary War park in Greensboro Updated: Aug-28-15 10:04 am
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - More people are visiting the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park in Greensboro, site of a key Revolutionary War battle.
- In Islamic State war, like others, heritage always a target Updated: Aug-25-15 6:07 pm
CAIRO - A nearly 2,000-year-old temple in the Syrian city of Palmyra this week was the latest victim in the Islamic State group's campaign of destruction of historic sites across the territory it controls in Iraq and Syria.
- UAE army frees British hostage as al-Qaida expands in Yemen Updated: Aug-23-15 11:49 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The United Arab Emirates said Sunday that its military freed a British hostage who was kidnapped 18 months ago by al-Qaida in Yemen, which has expanded its reach amid fighting between Shiite rebels and their opponents.
- Bell recovered from wreck of UK battleship sunk in WWII Updated: Aug-10-15 1:59 pm
LONDON - An American philanthropist and investor has recovered a bell from a British battleship that was sunk in the North Atlantic during World War II.