- Yemen Shiite rebels take neighborhood in Aden, occupy palace Updated: May-06-15 2:36 pm
SANAA, Yemen - Yemen's Shiite rebels and their allies consolidated their hold in another part of the southern port city of Aden on Wednesday after heavy fighting with militiamen loyal to the exiled government and capturing the area's presidential palace, officials said.
- Migrants rescued after 12 days at sea; EU eyes seizing boats Updated: May-06-15 1:51 pm
CATANIA, Sicily - An Italian rescue patrol picked up nearly 100 migrants who reported being at sea for 12 days as U.N. Security Council members mulled a draft resolution authorizing an EU mission to seize the smugglers' boats that are fueling the Mediterranean migrant crisis.
- US leading effort to assign blame for Syria chlorine attacks Updated: May-06-15 12:10 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United States is leading an effort to create a way to attribute blame for chlorine attacks in Syria, diplomats say, opening a possible path for action on an issue that has sparked outrage as reports of chemical attacks continue.
- AP Interview: Uganda's president says he's the one bullied Updated: May-06-15 7:05 am
UNITED NATIONS - There is so much freedom in Uganda that it's nearly anarchy, the country's president joked, stepping carefully around what's an open secret back home: Yoweri Museveni will run for yet another term next year, and surely he will win.
- Armed groups in C. African Republic agree to free children Updated: May-05-15 2:10 pm
BANGUI, Central Africa Republic - Armed groups in Central African Republic have agreed to release any children they are holding and not to recruit child soldiers, the United Nations Children's Agency said Tuesday.
- UN confirms Ban will visit Moscow for WW2 Victory Day Updated: May-04-15 3:11 pm
- US gives $45 million to help Kenya with refugee crisis Updated: May-04-15 12:56 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - The United States said Monday it will give $45 million to help Kenya deal with an increasingly complex refugee crisis in a region long defined by Somalia's endemic violence, but where war in nearby Yemen is now creating conditions so dire that some people are even fleeing to Somalia.
- Hundreds of families trapped by fighting in Yemen's Aden Updated: May-02-15 6:41 am
SANAA, Yemen - Hundreds of families are trapped in their homes by weeks of fierce fighting in the center of the southern city of Aden, running short of supplies - their only lifeline coming from volunteers making dangerous runs across the city's harbor in rickety boats bearing food and medicine.
- IOC president lobbies for sport to be part of UN plan Updated: May-02-15 12:38 am
- Russia-called UN urgent meeting on Yemen ends without action Updated: May-01-15 6:01 pm
UNITED NATIONS - An emergency meeting on Yemen by the U.N. Security Council ended Friday with the 15 members unable to agree on an immediate statement on the growing crisis. The ambassador from Russia, which called the meeting, wondered why his colleagues talk about the need to help but can't take action.
- UN: More child abuse cases possible in C. African Republic Updated: May-01-15 2:44 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations on Friday said "it is possible, it's horribly possible" that more allegations of sexual abuse of children by French and other soldiers in Central African Republic could come to light as investigations continue.
- UN is warned of 'active Iranian nuclear procurement network' Updated: Apr-30-15 3:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Britain has told a U.N. panel of experts that it is aware of an "active Iranian nuclear procurement network" linked to two Iranian companies, raising new concerns as world powers began Thursday to work out the details of a possible comprehensive agreement with Iran over its nuclear program.
- AP Interview: Marcus Miller on race, slavery and jazz Updated: Apr-30-15 1:59 pm
- Kremlin: North Korean leader not coming to Moscow on May 9 Updated: Apr-30-15 8:34 am
MOSCOW - The reclusive leader of North Korea won't be coming to Moscow next month for the Victory Day celebration, President Vladimir Putin's spokesman announced Thursday.
- Iran's foreign minister says nuke deadline not 'sacrosanct' Updated: Apr-29-15 5:26 pm
NEW YORK - Iran's foreign minister says his country and world powers will meet Thursday to start bringing together the elements of a draft on a comprehensive nuclear deal, with meetings starting Monday in Europe to finalize all its elements.
- Envoy: UN wants Libya political agreement by Ramadan Updated: Apr-29-15 4:32 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations envoy on Libya said Wednesday the Security Council wants to see a political agreement on Libya before Ramadan, which begins in the middle of June, but he says he cannot be optimistic amid the country's chaos.
- Australia wary of escalating rift after Indonesia executions Updated: Apr-29-15 2:04 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia said it would withdraw its ambassador to Indonesia after two Australians were among eight drug traffickers executed by the Southeast Asian country Wednesday, but was wary of escalating hostilities with its neighbor despite a public outcry.
- UN Security Council extends mission in Western Sahara Updated: Apr-28-15 2:37 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A small U.N. peacekeeping force in Western Sahara has been extended for another year but without the human rights monitoring mandate that residents have long demanded. The territory held by Morocco is called Africa's last remnant of a colonial past.
- UN says it will try to identify all Ebola cases by June Updated: Apr-28-15 9:40 am
LONDON - The World Health Organization says it aims to identify and isolate all new Ebola cases in West Africa by the end of May to stop the spread of the lethal virus before the rainy season.
- World 'closer than ever' to Iran nuclear deal, Kerry says Updated: Apr-27-15 7:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The world is "closer than ever" to reaching a comprehensive nuclear deal with Iran but the work is far from over, with key issues unresolved, Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday told a global gathering on nuclear disarmament, where he and Iran's foreign minister met on the sidelines.
- Uruguay urges ex-Guantanamo detainees to sign for housing Updated: Apr-27-15 7:38 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - Uruguay's foreign minister said Monday that six former Guantanamo Bay detainees resettled here will be out of a house and off public assistance unless they agree to terms they have so far rejected, the latest in an increasingly public battle over who is financially responsible for the men and for how long.
- AP Interview: UNESCO chief says Nepal sites 'huge disaster' Updated: Apr-27-15 6:14 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The head of the United Nations cultural agency says a preliminary assessment of the famed World Heritage site around Nepal's capital is a "huge disaster" after this weekend's earthquake.
- UN: Israeli military killed 44 Palestinians at UN shelters Updated: Apr-27-15 3:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A U.N. inquiry has found that at least 44 Palestinians were killed and at least 227 injured by direct mortar strikes and other "Israeli actions" while sheltering at U.N. locations during last year's Gaza war. The Palestinians said they would give the findings to the International Criminal Court.
- Kerry to see Iranian FM as nuke talks hit end phase Updated: Apr-26-15 7:56 pm
NEW YORK - Secretary of State John Kerry and his Iranian counterpart will meet this week for the first time since they laid out the framework for a nuclear deal earlier this month.
- How to help Nepal earthquake victims Updated: Apr-26-15 4:10 pm
Aid groups are rushing to get crucial supplies to survivors of Nepal's devastating earthquake, which has killed more than 2,500 people. Here's a look at humanitarian efforts under way in Nepal and how to donate online: