- House, Senate don't reach deal to fire SC State trustees Updated: May-05-15 5:34 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The state House and Senate have nearly unanimously agreed that the trustees at South Carolina State University need to be fired. But after nearly three months of debate, they still can't agree on whether two state officials which handle financial matters should get to appoint a couple of the interim trustees to oversee the state's only public historically black university.
- Gay leaders happy even with anti-discrimination bill failing Updated: May-05-15 2:34 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Advocates of gay rights say no matter what happens to an anti-discrimination bill that Democrats managed to get to the House floor, this has been a surprisingly quiet legislative session for gay issues.
- Carolinas clear first proposals for offshore oil surveys Updated: May-04-15 3:11 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - State regulators in both Carolinas have signed off on proposals by companies to conduct seismic testing for oil and natural gas off the Atlantic coast, subject to some conditions.
- State police won't release dashcam video of officer shooting Updated: May-03-15 11:45 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - When a white police officer in South Carolina chased a black man nine miles by car, then shot him to death in his driveway last year, the shooting apparently was captured on the officer's dashboard camera - a video that state police have steadfastly refused to release.
- At GOP confab, Haley blasts Republicans in legislature Updated: May-02-15 8:29 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley has launched a new offensive against state lawmakers, using the podium at the South Carolina Republican Party Convention to blast GOP lawmakers as insufficiently conservative on taxes, debt and other issues.
- Matt Moore gets 2nd 2-year term as SC Republican chairman Updated: May-02-15 2:11 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Republicans have voted to keep Matt Moore as their chairman.
- RNC's Priebus to address S. Carolina Republican gathering Updated: May-01-15 4:15 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Republicans are gearing up for their biggest weekend of the year.
- SC Senate refuses to put roads on priority status Updated: Apr-30-15 4:25 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Senate refused Thursday to give priority status to a bill funding road and bridge construction.
- Senate panel: SLED should investigate all officer shootings Updated: Apr-30-15 1:31 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The State Law Enforcement Division would have to investigate all cases where a police officer kills or seriously injures a suspect in South Carolina, under legislation approved Thursday by a Senate panel.
- Senate passes body-camera bill, restricts access to video Updated: Apr-29-15 7:47 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Senate passed a bill Wednesday that aims to eventually equip law enforcement officers across South Carolina with body cameras but restricts the public release of the videos.
- Prosecutors: Don't toss DUI cases for imperfect video Updated: Apr-29-15 6:59 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina prosecutors want state law to de-emphasize video in drunken driving cases, saying too many are being dismissed because of imperfect recordings.
- House OKs bill making it easier to build, expand hospitals Updated: Apr-29-15 6:43 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina House gave key approval Wednesday to a bill that would make it easier to build and expand hospitals and other medical facilities, and would end a state oversight program called the certificate of need entirely at the start of 2018.
- Advocate wants to create child advocacy board in SC Updated: Apr-29-15 1:20 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Members of a Senate committee overseeing South Carolina's child welfare agency have heard an advocate's request to create a child advisory board.
- Anti-tax group to pay gas tax at Greenville gas station Updated: Apr-29-15 4:04 am
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - A group that opposes raising gas or other taxes to pay for roads until the South Carolina Department of Transportation is reformed is staging a protest at a Greenville gas station.
- SC Legislature honors Friendship 9 for civil rights protests Updated: Apr-28-15 1:34 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Legislature on Tuesday honored nine men who went to jail to protest segregated lunch counters in Rock Hill at the beginning of the civil rights movement.
- SC legislators face looming deadline for bills' passage Updated: Apr-26-15 11:01 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's House and Senate will be busy this week trying to meet a legislative deadline. Bills that haven't advanced from one chamber to the other by Friday have little chance of becoming law this year.
- Trooper cleared in shooting of man on I-20 in Columbia Updated: Apr-25-15 8:46 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A South Carolina Highway Patrol trooper has been cleared of wrongdoing in the shooting of a man who pulled a gun on him during a traffic stop on Interstate 20 in Columbia.
- State Democrats talk presidential politics, state comeback Updated: Apr-24-15 10:43 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Democrats launched their annual convention weekend insistent they can return to power in this GOP-dominated state.
- Mark Warner, Lincoln Chafee to address SC Democrats Updated: Apr-24-15 4:34 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Virginia Sen. Mark Warner is among those scheduled to address a gathering of South Carolina Democrats this weekend.
- Leatherman: Commerce requested about $125M for incentives Updated: Apr-23-15 7:09 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The leader of the South Carolina Senate said Thursday he was asked by the state's commerce secretary to make roughly $125 million available for a potential business incentive package and did so - until Gov. Nikki Haley made clear she didn't want it.
- SC House OKs bill ending permits to carry concealed weapons Updated: Apr-23-15 5:05 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina House passed a bill on Thursday that would eliminate the need to get a concealed weapons permit to carry guns in public in the state.
- Haley declares May as Teacher Appreciation Month Updated: Apr-23-15 12:55 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley is encouraging residents to thank teachers for their contributions to children and South Carolina's future.
- Senate panel advances $7B budget plan, $236M in borrowing Updated: Apr-22-15 8:46 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Senate's budget-writing committee advanced a package Wednesday that includes borrowing $236 million, mostly for college construction.
- SC House committee passes bill creating Capitol Police Updated: Apr-22-15 3:22 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A House committee has approved a bill combining the five agencies that police and provide security at the Statehouse and grounds into a Capitol Police force.
- SC House panel OKs concealed weapons permits from Ga. Updated: Apr-21-15 6:31 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A South Carolina House panel has approved a bill that would require the state to accept concealed weapons permits issued in Georgia.