- GOP presidential prospect Kasich heads to Georgia, SC Updated: May-21-15 4:11 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) plans to appear at a couple Republican events in Georgia next week as he continues to weigh a 2016 bid for president.
- Senators praise latest pick to lead DHEC as the right choice Updated: May-21-15 2:05 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Senators say the board of South Carolina's public health and environmental agency got it right this time in selecting a director.
- SC legislators expect to pass domestic violence compromise Updated: May-20-15 8:08 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Legislature appears poised to pass a bill aimed at stemming South Carolina's persistently high rates of domestic violence, after weeks of behind-the-scenes negotiations between a handful of House and Senate members.
- Deal near on bill requiring public bodies to have agendas Updated: May-20-15 4:52 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - House and Senate members are nearing a deal on a bill that would require government bodies in South Carolina to publish agendas before public meetings.
- Ex-SC State board chairman sentenced to 5 years in prison Updated: May-20-15 1:39 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The former board chairman of South Carolina State University in Orangeburg has been sentenced to five years in prison for his role in a kickback and corruption scheme.
- Haley, Hitt head to Washington for lunch with Volvo CEO Updated: May-18-15 3:23 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley and her top economic official have gone to Washington to meet the president and CEO of South Carolina's newest automaker.
- Belton police officer involved in crash Updated: May-18-15 6:37 am
BELTON, South Carolina - A Belton police officer was hurt when his cruiser collided with a pickup truck near Anderson.
- Abortion opponent blocking anti-abortion bill in Senate Updated: May-14-15 7:37 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - One of the South Carolina Legislature's most ardent abortion foes is, ironically, blocking passage of a bill he and other abortion opponents have sought for years and is ripping into his fellow anti-abortion activists.
- South Carolina State has its new board of trustees Updated: May-14-15 10:53 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The new Board of Trustees for South Carolina State University is in place.
- South Carolina House passes body camera legislation Updated: May-13-15 3:01 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A South Carolina bill promoting the use of body cameras has been named for the black man who was fatally shot last month by a white North Charleston police officer.
- South Carolina looks for money to protect toxic waste dump Updated: May-13-15 2:22 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Senate subcommittee is trying to figure out how much South Carolina needs to pay to make sure a Sumter County toxic waste landfill closed 15 years ago doesn't pollute nearby Lake Marion or other areas.
- Senate panel hears more testimony over public records bill Updated: May-13-15 10:41 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Senate subcommittee has taken more testimony on a bill that would overhaul South Carolina's open records law.
- Couple accused of towing infant behind moped during storm Updated: May-12-15 6:53 pm
MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - Myrtle Beach police have accused a couple of strapping their 7-month-old daughter into a bicycle trailer and towing it behind their moped during Tropical Storm Ana.
- South Carolina may get small ethics reform package this year Updated: May-12-15 6:46 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Ethics reform might not be dead at the South Carolina Statehouse this year: A Senate committee on Tuesday passed a lighter version of the measure pertaining to what income lawmakers and their families must disclose and when candidates must report campaign spending.
- South Carolina Senate gives roads bill priority debate spot Updated: May-12-15 5:16 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Senate has agreed to put the debate on whether to raise taxes for more money for road in a prime debate spot.
- Graham takes trip down memory lane at SC Statehouse Updated: May-12-15 12:37 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Likely presidential candidate Lindsey Graham has returned to his roots.
- SC Highway Patrol marks 85th birthday at state archives Updated: May-12-15 4:04 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Highway Patrol is celebrating its 85th anniversary at the state Department of Archives and History.
- 2 killed when cars collide head-on along state highway Updated: May-10-15 9:49 am
ANDERSON, South Carolina - Authorities in Anderson County say two people are dead after a head-on collision.
- 4-state Southeast high-speed rail compact being discussed Updated: May-08-15 10:08 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The nation's top transportation official says he's more optimistic that high-speed rail will eventually become a reality in the Southeast after Georgia and South Carolina expressed interest in a joint agreement between North Carolina and Virginia to study, coordinate and advocate for the project.
- SC Gov. Nikki Haley addresses students at USC commencement Updated: May-08-15 4:04 am
- Governor signs bill to fire SC State trustees Updated: May-07-15 6:21 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - After three months of drama, lawmakers and the governor fired the trustees at South Carolina State University on Thursday.
- SC auditors fault department on abortion clinic reviews Updated: May-06-15 5:58 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's Department of Health and Environmental Control hasn't consistently inspected the state's three licensed abortion clinics as required by law, which could result in serious problems for patients, auditors reported Wednesday.
- Gay leaders happy even with anti-discrimination bill failing Updated: May-05-15 2:34 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Advocates of gay rights say no matter what happens to an anti-discrimination bill that Democrats managed to get to the House floor, this has been a surprisingly quiet legislative session for gay issues.
- State police won't release dashcam video of officer shooting Updated: May-03-15 11:45 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - When a white police officer in South Carolina chased a black man nine miles by car, then shot him to death in his driveway last year, the shooting apparently was captured on the officer's dashboard camera - a video that state police have steadfastly refused to release.
- At GOP confab, Haley blasts Republicans in legislature Updated: May-02-15 8:29 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley has launched a new offensive against state lawmakers, using the podium at the South Carolina Republican Party Convention to blast GOP lawmakers as insufficiently conservative on taxes, debt and other issues.