- House approves split of settlement money from BP oil spill Updated: Apr-28-16 11:48 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama House of Representatives on Thursday approved a compromise plan for doling out settlement money from the 2010 oil spill - one that could help stave off cuts in Medicaid this fall.
- Lawmakers restart impeachment push against Bentley Updated: Apr-28-16 6:23 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers have gathered enough signatures to reignite an effort to impeach Gov. Robert Bentley.
- Birmingham Water Works board spat brings Senate to a halt Updated: Apr-28-16 6:06 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A heated disagreement over a municipal water works board bill led to an early adjournment of the Alabama Senate.
- Committee passes watered-down payday loan bill Updated: Apr-27-16 9:38 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A House committee on Wednesday shelved a bill that would have given borrowers up to six months to repay payday loans, but agreed to send a watered-down version to the House for a full vote.
- Alabama legislature passes medical marijuana oil bill Updated: Apr-27-16 9:16 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama legislature on Wednesday voted to decriminalize medicinal marijuana oil possession.
- Committee approves bill dividing BP settlement Updated: Apr-27-16 4:51 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama would use settlement money from the 2010 BP oil spill to pay off state debts and pay for road projects in coastal counties, under a last-minute compromise approved Wednesday by a budget committee.
- Alabama Senate passes ban on abortion procedure Updated: Apr-26-16 6:21 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A bill to prohibit a commonly used second-trimester abortion procedure advanced in the Alabama legislature on Tuesday.
- Alabama personhood bill 'dead' on House floor Updated: Apr-22-16 2:14 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama "personhood" bill which would have effectively banned abortion in the state failed to make it to a vote Thursday in the House of Representatives.
- Lawmakers give final approval to education budget, raise Updated: Apr-21-16 5:22 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers on Thursday gave final approval to the education budget and a 4 percent pay raise for teachers - their first tangible increase since 2008.
- Senator pushes for lottery vote as session nears end Updated: Apr-21-16 11:02 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - As Alabama's 2016 legislative session quickly nears its end, a state senator is making a final push for a lottery.
- Committee passes bill to close abortion clinics near schools Updated: Apr-20-16 8:19 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama House committee has passed a bill to keep abortion clinics at least 2,000 feet away from public schools, which would impact at least one existing facility in the state.
- Bill would take Alabama out of marriage license business Updated: Apr-20-16 6:46 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama House committee has approved a bill that would replace state-signed marriage licenses with contracts in a bid to free probate judges from signing licenses for gay couples.
- Hubbard's defense lawyers asks to delay trial until August Updated: Apr-20-16 5:38 pm
OPELIKA, Alabama - Lawyers for Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard on Wednesday asked a judge to delay Hubbard's ethics trial from May until August.
- Abortion procedure challenged as 'torture' in Alabama Updated: Apr-20-16 4:28 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A commonly used second-trimester abortion procedure would be illegal under a new bill debated in the Alabama legislature on Wednesday.
- Committee delays bill to use oil spill funds for roads Updated: Apr-20-16 4:08 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A House budget committee has delayed action on a bill to use part of the state's BP oil spill money for road projects.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: Apr-20-16 3:51 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- VictoryLand electronic bingo machine bill fails in Senate Updated: Apr-19-16 9:10 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A bill that would have allowed electronic gambling machines at a Macon County dog track failed on a procedural vote Tuesday night in the Alabama Senate.
- Alabama House approves retirement bill for new state hires Updated: Apr-19-16 6:11 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A bill passed in the Alabama House of Representatives would automatically enroll new state employees in individual retirement accounts.
- Alabama governor sued in latest fallout from scandal Updated: Apr-19-16 4:55 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley's former law enforcement secretary sued his old boss Tuesday, saying that Bentley wrongly fired him.
- Lawmakers to hold hearings on Medicaid Updated: Apr-18-16 7:44 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers plan to hold a series of hearings on the state's Medicaid program as the agency's commissioner predicts dramatic service cuts without additional funding.
- Alabama House approves marijuana oil bill Updated: Apr-14-16 4:41 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama House of Representatives has voted to decriminalize non-high inducing marijuana oil in a bid to help people coping with debilitating seizures.
- Committee votes to let child care providers deny services Updated: Apr-13-16 7:30 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Private adoption agencies in Alabama could turn away gay couples on religious grounds under a bill passed by a House Committee Wednesday.
- Senate rejects Greenetrack casino bill Updated: Apr-13-16 1:02 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - State senators have rejected a bill aimed at keeping Greenetrack's bingo casino operational.
- Marsh says teacher evaluation bill is 'shelved' Updated: Apr-13-16 6:38 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Republican leader of the Alabama Senate says he is shelving his education bill for the session after continued resistance to the idea of tying teacher evaluations to test score improvement.
- Alabama lawmakers approve bill to legalize industrial hemp Updated: Apr-12-16 10:24 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama is one step closer to researching industrial hemp production.