- Right-To-Work amendment fails in Alabama House Updated: Feb-11-16 9:11 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Republicans were unable to muster enough votes to put "right-to-work" language in the Alabama Constitution saying workers can't be required to join unions.
- Committee approves bill to block city minimum wage increase Updated: Feb-11-16 6:34 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A bill to prohibit Alabama cities from raising the minimum wage - and roll back Birmingham's planned increased to $10.10-per-hour- advanced out of legislative committee on Thursday.
- Lottery bills get first discussion in Alabama Legislature Updated: Feb-10-16 10:11 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Lottery legislation is getting its first debate in the Alabama Legislature.
- Bill would stop removal of Confederate, historic markers Updated: Feb-09-16 7:41 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Confederate monuments first erected after the Civil War to honor Southern soldiers have increasingly been targeted by civil rights activists who say they are offensive to blacks and should be taken down. An Alabama legislator wants to make sure that doesn't happen without state lawmakers' approval.
- Bill would stop removal of Confederate, historic markers Updated: Feb-08-16 10:47 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - As some cities make the decision to shed Confederate monuments, some Alabama lawmakers want to prohibit those removals unless legislators say it is OK.
- Alabama Senate committee debates repealing Common Core Updated: Feb-04-16 8:18 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The debate over the state's education standards has begun again with a public hearing on a bill to repeal Common Core standards in Alabama public schools.
- Lawmakers begin 2016 session to familiar budget woes Updated: Feb-02-16 9:21 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers began the 2016 legislative session on Groundhog Day with familiar budget woes that could spell funding cuts for many state agencies.
- Text of Alabama governor's State of the State speech Updated: Feb-02-16 7:31 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The following is the text of Alabama Governor Robert Bentley's 2016 State of the State speech prepared for delivery Tuesday night:
- Alabama teachers could get pay hike Updated: Jan-23-16 12:42 pm
DOTHAN, Alabama - Alabama senator Del Marsh says legislature is considering a raise for education employees with a performance-based model for teachers.
- Bentley not seeking tax increases; budget cuts anticipated Updated: Jan-14-16 7:13 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley spent much of 2015 battling with lawmakers over his proposed tax increases to avoid general fund budget cuts.
- Medicaid budget request brings debate and frustration Updated: Jan-13-16 5:22 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's Medicaid commissioner told lawmakers Wednesday that the agency will need an additional $156 million to maintain services next year, a funding request that caused lawmakers to criticize the expense of the health care program and its recipients.