- Taliban leader Mullah Omar, reclusive in life and death Updated: Jul-29-15 6:19 pm
- Feds: New York man tried to support Islamic State group Updated: Jul-29-15 6:17 pm
BUFFALO, New York - A western New York man traveled overseas in a bid to join the Islamic State group after buying night-vision goggles, a machete and body armor and pledging his loyalty to the group on Twitter, federal authorities said Wednesday after arresting him on a charge of attempting to provide material support to a designated terrorist organization.
- Yemen's president orders militias merged into his forces Updated: Jul-29-15 1:52 pm
SANAA, Yemen - From his exile in Saudi Arabia, Yemen's president on Wednesday ordered that militias battling Shiite rebels in Yemen be merged with his national army units, a move that comes in an apparent attempt to unify forces fighting on the ground.
- Pakistani militant leader killed in police convoy attack Updated: Jul-29-15 10:08 am
MUZAFFARGARH, Pakistan - One of Pakistan's most-feared Islamic militant leaders, believed to be behind the killing of scores of minority Shiites, was gunned down along with 13 other militants during an assault on a police convoy that was transporting him from prison on Wednesday.
- In shift, Turkish jets strike Islamic State targets in Syria Updated: Jul-24-15 2:52 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - In a major tactical shift, Turkish warplanes struck Islamic State group targets across the border in Syria on Friday, a day after IS militants fired at a Turkish military outpost. A Syrian rights group said the airstrikes killed nine IS fighters.
- Carter: US airstrike kills senior Al-Qaida commander Updated: Jul-24-15 6:38 am
IRBIL, Iraq - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Friday that a U.S. airstrike recently killed a senior Al-Qaida operational commander in eastern Afghanistan.
- FBI chief: Islamic State group bigger threat than al-Qaida Updated: Jul-22-15 10:22 pm
ASPEN, Colorado - The Islamic State group's effort to inspire troubled Americans to violence has become more of a terror threat to the U.S. than an external attack by al-Qaida, the FBI director said Wednesday.
- US kills senior Khorasan Group leader Updated: Jul-21-15 5:39 pm
WASHINGTON - A U.S. airstrike in Syria has killed a key figure in a dangerous al-Qaida offshoot, the Pentagon said Tuesday.
- Military site shootings crystallize FBI terrorism concerns Updated: Jul-18-15 6:53 pm
WASHINGTON - The deadly shootings at military sites in Tennessee illustrate the threat that FBI officials have warned about: violence directed against a vulnerable government target by a lone gunman with apparent terrorist aspirations.
- Tunisian government says top terrorists killed Updated: Jul-12-15 7:25 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia - Tunisia's interior minister said the government has killed an extremist leader and nearly wiped out his group, as European tourists continue to leave the country amid fears of new attacks.
- Mali extremist traded for French hostage killed in attack Updated: Jul-06-15 4:16 pm
BAMAKO, Mali - French special forces have killed an Islamic extremist in northern Mali who had been released last year in exchange for the freedom of a French hostage, a Malian official said Monday.
- 7/7 spurred tough anti-terror measures some say went too far Updated: Jul-05-15 5:04 am
LONDON - After four home-grown suicide bombers killed 52 London commuters on July 7, 2005, Prime Minister Tony Blair vowed that Britain would stop at nothing to defeat terrorism. "Let no one be in any doubt," he said. "The rules of the game are changing."
- Obama's counterterrorism policy facing mounting criticism Updated: Jul-02-15 11:01 pm
WASHINGTON - At the CIA's Counterterrorism Center, it was a cause for celebration: Meticulous intelligence analysis backed by Hellfire missiles had paid off, once again.