- Jobs, economy and the budget drive RI legislative session Updated: Jun-26-15 4:29 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island's legislative session began in January with a new governor and General Assembly leaders who were focused on creating jobs and reviving the economy.
- Senate approves bill that would create toll for trucks Updated: Jun-23-15 10:37 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Senate on Tuesday approved a bill that would create a new toll on large commercial trucks to raise money for repairs to deteriorating bridges.
- Issues to watch at end of General Assembly session Updated: Jun-19-15 12:59 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island House has unanimously approved an $8.67 billion state budget proposal for the coming fiscal year and the Senate is expected to pass it Tuesday. House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello says he's hoping to adjourn Wednesday, but debate on the final bills could stretch into Thursday, especially if the House takes up a contentious transportation proposal.
- Rhode Island lawmakers considering charter school bills Updated: Jun-18-15 11:34 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - State lawmakers are considering multiple bills that would place restrictions on new charter schools until public education funding in the state is reevaluated.
- RI House approves legalizing the growth of hemp Updated: Jun-18-15 7:43 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island House has approved legalizing the growth of hemp.
- Rhode Island lawmakers approve phasing out cesspools Updated: Jun-18-15 7:12 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island lawmakers have approved phasing out cesspools.
- Governor approves increase in Rhode Island's minimum wage Updated: Jun-17-15 5:23 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Gov. Gina Raimondo has signed legislation to raise Rhode Island's minimum wage.
- Rhode Island poised to raise the minimum wage again Updated: Jun-12-15 1:01 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island is poised to raise its minimum wage again.
- Effort to mandate overtime pay for firefighters stalls Updated: Jun-11-15 7:26 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - An effort to mandate overtime pay for Rhode Island firefighters has stalled in the legislature.
- Ex-Rhode Island House speaker gets 3 years for corruption Updated: Jun-11-15 1:11 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - After tearfully declaring himself a disgrace, former Rhode Island House Speaker Gordon Fox was sentenced Thursday to three years in prison for corruption, saying he had been driven by greed, a desire to keep up with the Joneses and "just plain stupidity."
- Senate approves restrictions on electronic cigarettes Updated: Jun-04-15 8:58 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - State senators have signed off on a bill that would ban the use of electronic cigarettes at all Rhode Island public schools and require child-resistant packaging for the liquid used in e-cigarettes and similar devices.
- Bills require defibrillators, overdose antidotes in schools Updated: Jun-04-15 8:46 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The state Senate has approved bills that would require all middle schools and high schools in Rhode Island to have defibrillators and antidotes to opioid overdoses.