- Barcelona defends Messi, offers better contract Updated: Apr-19-14 5:11 pm
- Atletico faces Elche in 1st of 5 'finals' Updated: Apr-17-14 5:56 am
- Atletico Mineiro backs off deal to sign Anelka Updated: Apr-15-14 7:48 pm
- Reus, Liverpool top AP football poll Updated: Apr-15-14 1:21 pm
- Quotes from voters in this week's AP football poll Updated: Apr-15-14 11:23 am
- Atletico 4 wins away from Spanish title Updated: Apr-14-14 6:39 am
- Diego Costa in Atletico squad for Getafe visit Updated: Apr-12-14 9:35 am
- Brazilian club releases Adriano after 4 matches Updated: Apr-11-14 10:15 pm
- Champions semis: Madrid-Bayern, Atletico-Chelsea Updated: Apr-11-14 2:05 pm
- Champions League Draw List Updated: Apr-11-14 9:09 am
- Curitiba survives to watch world champion Spain Updated: Apr-11-14 6:17 am
- Kompany, Hazard, Courtois make Belgium a contender Updated: Apr-11-14 5:57 am
- Barca's Champs League exit adds to post-Pep slide Updated: Apr-10-14 7:27 am
- Atletico wants to avoid Chelsea in Champs League Updated: Apr-10-14 5:44 am
- Atletico beats Barcelona to reach Champions semis Updated: Apr-09-14 6:36 pm
- Atletico's Costa out of Champions League match Updated: Apr-09-14 2:07 pm
- Chelsea, Man United face uphill task in CL Updated: Apr-06-14 4:30 pm
- Ribas' goal against Barca shows Atletico's depth Updated: Apr-02-14 11:59 am
- Barcelona's Pique out 4 weeks with hip fracture Updated: Apr-01-14 6:21 pm
- Barcelona faces Atletico in Champions League Updated: Mar-31-14 1:44 pm
- Delayed Curitiba stadium opens for test event Updated: Mar-29-14 7:15 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona's president and manager defended Lionel Messi on Saturday from criticism for his erratic play during the team's recent collapse, and made sure to stamp out any talk of the club's all-time leading scorer leaving Camp Nou.
BARCELONA, Spain - Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has called the remaining league games of the season five "finals," and his team plays its first against Elche on Friday before receiving Chelsea in the Champions League.
SAO PAULO - Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro said Tuesday that it will not sign former France striker Nicolas Anelka because the player took too long to report to the club.
LONDON - Liverpool took team of the week honors for the fourth time this season in The Associated Press weekly football poll following its 3-2 victory over English Premier League title rival Manchester City.
LONDON - Mark Rodden, Eurosport, France
BARCELONA, Spain - With a smaller budget and no stars like Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, Atletico Madrid wasn't supposed to be leading the Spanish league with five matches left to play.
MADRID - Striker Diego Costa has returned to Atletico Madrid's squad for Sunday's Spanish league game at Getafe after recovering from a right thigh injury.
SAO PAULO - Atletico Paranaense has released former Brazil striker Adriano after just four games, dealing a blow to the striker's ambitious hopes of returning to top form and playing in the World Cup this year.
NYON, Switzerland - Draw Friday for the Champions League semifinals:
CURITIBA, Brazil - Widely considered the most advanced city in Brazil, Curitiba was in serious danger of being excluded from the World Cup because of delays at its stadium.
BRUSSELS - Belgium is back in the World Cup after 12 years, and with its hottest crop of players in a generation.
MADRID - While it may be too soon to call Barcelona's Champions League exit the end of an era, the Spanish champion doesn't seem to have recovered from former coach Pep Guardiola's departure two seasons ago.
MADRID - Atletico Madrid is hoping to avoid Chelsea in Friday's Champions League draw so that on-loan goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois can play in the semifinals.
MADRID - Atletico Madrid finally got the better of Spanish rival Barcelona on Wednesday as Koke's early goal guided his team to a 1-0 win and into the Champions League semifinals with a 2-1 aggregate victory.
LONDON - Once again, English clubs look set for a premature exit in the Champions League. On Wednesday, Manchester United must beat Bayern Munich or earn a high-scoring draw following their 1-1 result at Old Trafford, and Chelsea must overcome a 3-1 deficit from the first leg to reach the semifinals at the expense of Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday.
MADRID - While Atletico Madrid stars Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois garner much of the praise for the team's success, fringe player Diego Ribas' superb goal against Barcelona showed just how heavily the Spanish leader can lean on its entire squad.
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona says defender Gerard Pique will be sidelined for four weeks after sustaining a hairline fracture of his right hip in Tuesday's 1-1 Champions League quarterfinal draw against Atletico Madrid.
BARCELONA, Spain - The Champions League will offer either Barcelona or Atletico Madrid a spot in the semifinals and a boost in the racee to win the Spanish league.
SAO PAULO - World Cup organizers in the southern Brazilian city of Curitiba held the first test event at the Arena da Baixada stadium on Saturday, with Atletico Paranaense and J.Malucelli playing out a goalless draw in front of about 10,000 fans.