- Alabama Senate committee debates repealing Common Core Updated: Feb-04-16 8:18 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The debate over the state's education standards has begun again with a public hearing on a bill to repeal Common Core standards in Alabama public schools.
- Lawmakers begin 2016 session to familiar budget woes Updated: Feb-02-16 9:21 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers began the 2016 legislative session on Groundhog Day with familiar budget woes that could spell funding cuts for many state agencies.
- Text of Alabama governor's State of the State speech Updated: Feb-02-16 7:31 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The following is the text of Alabama Governor Robert Bentley's 2016 State of the State speech prepared for delivery Tuesday night:
- Alabama AG blasts Supreme Court decision on life terms Updated: Jan-25-16 6:17 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange is criticizing a U.S. Supreme Court decision that will give convicted murderers a chance at freedom if they were juveniles when the crime was committed.
- Alabama teachers could get pay hike Updated: Jan-23-16 12:42 pm
DOTHAN, Alabama - Alabama senator Del Marsh says legislature is considering a raise for education employees with a performance-based model for teachers.
- Alabama grandparent visitation law struck down Updated: Jan-22-16 2:36 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama Supreme Court won't review a lower court decision that has struck down a law guaranteeing child visitation rights to grandparents.
- Bentley not seeking tax increases; budget cuts anticipated Updated: Jan-14-16 7:13 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley spent much of 2015 battling with lawmakers over his proposed tax increases to avoid general fund budget cuts.
- Medicaid budget request brings debate and frustration Updated: Jan-13-16 5:22 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's Medicaid commissioner told lawmakers Wednesday that the agency will need an additional $156 million to maintain services next year, a funding request that caused lawmakers to criticize the expense of the health care program and its recipients.
- High court: Florida death penalty system is unconstitutional Updated: Jan-12-16 7:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Florida's unique system for sentencing people to death is unconstitutional because it gives too much power to judges - and not enough to juries - to decide capital sentences, the Supreme Court ruled Tuesday.
- Republican lawmakers push lottery bill in upcoming session Updated: Jan-12-16 6:22 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Some Republican lawmakers say it's time Alabama considered a state lottery.
- Alabama prisons under 'stress' says commissioner Updated: Jan-12-16 3:39 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's prisons chief says said the state prison system is "under stress" because of aging facilities, low staffing and overcrowding.
- Supreme court won't hear appeal from former Alabama governor Updated: Jan-11-16 10:27 am
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court won't hear an appeal from former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman over his prison sentence for bribery and obstruction of justice.
- Alabama sues federal government over refugee program Updated: Jan-07-16 6:43 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama on Thursday became the second state to sue the U.S. government over refugee resettlement, accusing the Obama administration of failing to consult with states on placement of those who have fled their home countries.
- The Latest: Civil rights groups blast Alabama judge's order Updated: Jan-06-16 7:29 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Latest on Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore's administrative order saying the Alabama Supreme Court never lifted a March directive to probate judges to refuse marriage licenses to gay couples (All times local):
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: Jan-06-16 5:16 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers: