- NYC's first fan: A ballgame with Mayor Bill de Blasio Updated: Aug-31-15 6:27 am
NEW YORK - He sat in the upper deck, basically unrecognized amid a sea of happy baseball fans. He let out a cheer when the best hitter on his favorite team smoked a home run and diligently scanned the out-of-town scoreboard to consider playoff implications. And he waited his turn in the long Citi Field men's room line, just one more fan spending a hot summer day watching the Mets and the Red Sox play.
- Sun spots: Trout, Angels swept in Cleveland with 9-2 loss Updated: Aug-31-15 3:44 am
CLEVELAND - Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels have a more pressing concern than the AL wild-card race: They need to win their next game to avoid falling below .500.
- Flores helps Mets surge in fascinating deadline postscript Updated: Aug-31-15 2:57 am
For the New York Mets, August has been like a dream, and nothing sums up their charmed life better than the saga of Wilmer Flores.
- AP Source: Indians president Shapiro leaving for Blue Jays Updated: Aug-30-15 10:41 pm
CLEVELAND - Mark Shapiro worked his way up from the bottom in Cleveland's front office, becoming one of baseball's most respected executives.
- Switch-pitcher Venditte gets 1st win, A's top D-backs in 11 Updated: Aug-30-15 10:33 pm
PHOENIX - A frigid beer shower never felt better to Pat Venditte, the switch-pitcher's reward for his first major league win at age 30.
- Closer Ziegler falters in 11th, A's top Diamondbacks 7-4 Updated: Aug-30-15 10:11 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona manager Chip Hale couldn't hide his frustration after the Diamondbacks finished a 1-6 homestand that dropped them four games under .500.
- Guyer, Kiermaier hit HRs help Rays beat Royals 3-2 Updated: Aug-30-15 10:06 pm
- Indians owner Paul Dolan looking for minority investor Updated: Aug-30-15 10:04 pm
CLEVELAND - Indians owner Paul Dolan is looking for a minority investment partner for his franchise.
- Cubs don 1-piece pajamas at end of West Coast trip Updated: Aug-30-15 8:35 pm
LOS ANGELES - With the Cubs wrapping up a six-game West Coast trip, it was time for manager Joe Maddon to break out the pajamas.
- Saladino lifts White Sox to 6-5 win over Mariners Updated: Aug-30-15 8:30 pm
CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox have turned to several rookies during their lackluster season.
- O's keep slipping back with 6-0 loss to Rangers, Holland Updated: Aug-30-15 8:23 pm
ARLINGTON, Texas - Baltimore slugger Chris Davis took a big swing and missed, the bat flying out of his hands and helicoptering toward the right-field line.
- Miller's error costs Mariners in 6-5 loss to White Sox Updated: Aug-30-15 7:55 pm
CHICAGO - With two outs in the ninth, shortstop Brad Miller just had to make a routine throw to first base.
- Yankees ride trio of 2-out HRs to 20-6 runaway over Braves Updated: Aug-30-15 7:54 pm
ATLANTA - New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi says baseball "has a way of evening out."
- Braves' woes continue in 'demoralizing' 20-6 loss to Yankees Updated: Aug-30-15 7:47 pm
ATLANTA - A Braves team that was at .500 through 84 games has since been in a downward slide that gained speed with three straight losses to the Yankees.
- Turner Field US flag at half-staff after fan dies in fall Updated: Aug-30-15 7:28 pm
- Holland Ks 11 for Texas in 6-0 win over O's for 3-game sweep Updated: Aug-30-15 7:19 pm
ARLINGTON, Texas - Derek Holland noticed how quiet it suddenly got after the final pitch of his eighth career shutout for the Texas Rangers
- Slumping Tigers get swept, lose 9-2 to Blue Jays Updated: Aug-30-15 7:09 pm
TORONTO - Still stinging from being swept by the power-packed Blue Jays, the slumping Detroit Tigers don't have much to look forward to. Up next, a trip to Kansas City to face the AL-leading Royals.
- Astros rally comes up short in 7-5 loss to Twins Updated: Aug-30-15 6:56 pm
- Ortiz passes Gehrig on HR chart, Red Sox lose 5-4 to Mets Updated: Aug-30-15 6:53 pm
NEW YORK - David Ortiz got a good, close-up look at the New York Mets' young rotation this weekend and was impressed.
- NL East-leading Mets get reliever Addison Reed from Arizona Updated: Aug-30-15 6:48 pm
NEW YORK - The NL East-leading New York Mets acquired reliever Addison Reed from Arizona for two minor league pitchers Sunday, completing a trade they hope will bolster their late-inning bullpen.
- Santana sharp at home in Twins' win Updated: Aug-30-15 6:39 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Even though Ervin Santana has been going through one of the toughest stretches of his career, he hasn't lost his smile.
- Cuddyer, Mets avert 3-game sweep at home, beat Red Sox 5-4 Updated: Aug-30-15 6:18 pm
NEW YORK - With every swing, a healthy Michael Cuddyer is becoming a major player for the New York Mets.
- Royals hit disputed double play in 3-2 loss to Rays Updated: Aug-30-15 6:04 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - A late comeback bid by the Kansas City Royals was stymied by a strange and disputed double play.
- Almonte leads Indians to 9-2 win against slumping Angels Updated: Aug-30-15 5:56 pm
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Indians are working on a positive finish to a roller-coaster August.
- Encarnacion homers again, Blue Jays hit 4 to beat Tigers 9-2 Updated: Aug-30-15 4:37 pm