- Branstad highlights cheaper prison calls that were required Updated: Feb-14-16 12:27 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Prison inmates in Iowa are paying cheaper telephone rates to talk to their families under a recent rule change that Gov. Terry Branstad has publically highlighted as part of his administration's efforts to enact criminal justice reform, but the change was also federally mandated.
- Court sets Wellmark headquarters taxable value at $99M Updated: Feb-12-16 4:39 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The corporate headquarters for health insurer Wellmark Inc. should have been taxed at a value of $99 million in 2011, the Iowa Supreme Court said Friday in reversing earlier rulings that set the taxable value much lower.
- Iowa Republicans offer state budget targets below Democrats Updated: Feb-11-16 2:15 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republican leaders in the Iowa House have released budget targets for the upcoming fiscal year, and they propose to spend less money than both Gov. Terry Branstad and Senate Democrats.
- Groups gather at Capitol to push for criminal justice reform Updated: Feb-10-16 3:05 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Civil rights groups are making their case at the Capitol for legislation that would reform Iowa's criminal justice system, though they also recognize the challenges of passing such measures during the current legislative session.
- Some Republicans announce support for medical marijuana bill Updated: Feb-09-16 6:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Some Republican House lawmakers announced their support Tuesday for new legislation that would create a system for manufacturing, distributing and possessing some forms of medical marijuana in Iowa, though it's unclear what type of backing the bill will get from party leaders.
- Iowa high court to consider state's ban on voting by felons Updated: Feb-09-16 2:28 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - In a major voting rights case, the Iowa Supreme Court will consider whether to relax the state's lifetime ban on voting by convicted felons.
- Iowa Senate OKs 4 percent hike in future K-12 school budget Updated: Feb-09-16 2:12 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Democratic-controlled Iowa Senate has passed legislation that would establish future state aid for K-12 schools, though the funding remains unclear as lawmakers debate more immediate education costs.
- Iowa lawmakers OK bills to raise speed limit on rural roads Updated: Feb-09-16 11:48 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa lawmakers have advanced bills that would raise the speed limit on rural roads despite warnings that the change could lead to more fatal crashes.
- Teen dies, 2 injured in single-car crash in eastern Iowa Updated: Feb-08-16 12:48 pm
ELDRIDGE, Iowa - A fiery single-vehicle accident in eastern Iowa left one teen dead and two others injured.
- Drinking long intertwined in Dubuque's culture Updated: Feb-06-16 10:49 am
DUBUQUE, Iowa - Wherever Sue Greene looks, she sees alcohol ingrained into the fabric of Dubuque's culture and history.
- Former Gov. Culver convenes Medicaid privatization meetings Updated: Feb-05-16 6:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Former Iowa Gov. Chet Culver, often rumored a possible Congressional candidate, has scheduled town meetings next week to talk to Iowans affected by the state's plan to hire three private companies to run the Medicaid program.
- Driver killed after car strikes pillar, catches fire Updated: Feb-05-16 1:37 pm
OSKALOOSA, Iowa - A vehicle struck a bridge pillar in southeast Iowa and caught fire, killing the driver.
- Iowa bill aimed at Stanford band strikes wrong chord Updated: Feb-05-16 12:34 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A bill that sought to punish Stanford University for its band's Rose Bowl halftime show mocking Iowa has been all but buried in the Iowa Senate.
- Iowa Republicans look to eliminate 'sanctuary cities' Updated: Feb-04-16 7:20 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republicans in the Iowa House are seeking to force police and sheriffs' offices to tell U.S. immigration officials when they have someone in custody who is living in the country illegally.
- 3 killed in eastern Iowa when 4 vehicles crash on icy road Updated: Feb-04-16 5:34 pm
KEYSTONE, Iowa - Three people were killed in a four-vehicle crash in eastern Iowa.
- Iowa Democrats propose bill to end Medicaid privatization Updated: Feb-04-16 5:25 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Senate Democrats said Thursday that they plan to pass a bill next week that would halt Republican Gov. Terry Branstad's plan to turn over management of the state's Medicaid program to three companies, even though there is little chance that the GOP-led House would support it.
- Bill to legalize fireworks in Iowa advances with challenges Updated: Feb-03-16 8:20 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Legislation that would legalize the sale of fireworks in Iowa advanced Wednesday through parts of the Iowa Legislature, though it may face some challenges from lawmakers.
- Rubio could see campaign fortunes rise from Iowa finish Updated: Feb-03-16 8:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Marco Rubio's strong third-place finish in Iowa could sound like a starting gun to the Republican Party's top donors.
- Audit: State agency paid $97,000 to fictitious companies Updated: Feb-03-16 5:49 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A state audit has revealed that Iowa Workforce Development paid more than $97,000 in unemployment benefits to people in the state who claimed to work for companies that didn't exist in 2013 and 2014.
- Cruz wins in Iowa's Republican caucuses Updated: Feb-02-16 12:32 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Ted Cruz, the self-proclaimed outsider and tea party champion, was warmly embraced by conservative Iowa Republicans, whose historic turnout sealed his victory in the Iowa caucuses Monday.
- $26 million project of US 20 near Dubuque to make road safer Updated: Feb-01-16 11:50 am
DUBUQUE, Iowa - A dangerous stretch of U.S. 20 is set to be reconstructed in the next few years in an effort to improve traffic safety near Dubuque.
- Ohio officials, ex-congressmen to speak for Kasich in Iowa Updated: Feb-01-16 10:27 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Republican presidential candidate John Kasich's (KAY'-sik's) line-up of speakers at the Iowa caucuses includes a number of Ohio state officeholders and lawmakers, two conservative former congressmen and leaders in agriculture and manufacturing.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: Feb-01-16 9:05 am
The Des Moines Register. Jan. 28, 2016
- Watching Monday: What to look for in the 2016 Iowa caucuses Updated: Feb-01-16 8:09 am
WASHINGTON - The Iowa caucuses are finally here. A few things to watch for on Monday as the nation gets its first glimpse of where the 2016 candidates really stand in the race for the Republican and Democratic presidential nominations:
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):