- Millions of birds dead due to flu to be disposed of soon Updated: May-23-15 5:13 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Millions of Iowa birds killed or destroyed in the wake of a bird flu outbreak should be disposed of or incinerated within the next week, according to U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.
- Court sides with Iowa City in 12-year dispute with landlord Updated: May-22-15 5:17 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Officials in Iowa City did not violate a landlord's constitutional rights by enforcing an employment discrimination ordinance that was later ruled invalid, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled Friday.
- Iowa lawmakers say they've made progress on budget spending Updated: May-22-15 4:50 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Progress has been made in determining Iowa's overall budget spending for the next fiscal year, lawmakers said Friday, including talks on K-12 education.
- Huckabee is latest straw poll no-show. Is event in jeopardy? Updated: May-21-15 4:28 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The people running Iowa's Republican presidential straw poll want less money and glitz involved as they try to take this summer's event back to basics. But now they are facing a different kind of downsizing - fewer candidates.
- Iowa House OKs fireworks bill but Senate passage unclear Updated: May-21-15 4:17 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A bill that would legalize more fireworks sales in Iowa has won approval in the Republican-controlled state House, but its future is less clear in the Democratic-controlled Senate.
- Former Iowa lawmaker arrested at Branstad's office Updated: May-18-15 6:41 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A former Iowa lawmaker has been arrested at the state Capitol after he refused to leave Gov. Terry Branstad's office because he wanted to discuss eminent domain legislation.
- 2 people killed in Mahaska County collision, patrol says Updated: May-18-15 10:01 am
OSKALOOSA, Iowa - The Iowa State Patrol says two people have been killed in a Mahaska County collision.
- Ex-Iowa congressman chairs Iowa Transportation Commission Updated: May-16-15 12:30 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Former Iowa Rep. Leonard Boswell has been elected chairman of the seven-member Iowa Transportation Commission.
- No adjournment in sight for Iowa Legislature Updated: May-14-15 4:55 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Two weeks after their daily expense payments ended, Iowa lawmakers still have not been able to find common budget ground, even though the proposals from Republican-led House and Democratic-majority Senate are only about 2 percent apart.
- Republican lawmakers seek less health funding than Democrats Updated: May-13-15 8:01 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Republican-led Iowa House approved a $1.84 billion spending plan for state health and human services departments on Wednesday, offering less funding than Gov. Terry Branstad or the Democratic-controlled Senate.
- House Republicans seek to change family planning program Updated: May-12-15 6:46 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republicans in the Iowa House said Tuesday that they want to change the funding for a family planning program to block abortion providers from participating.
- Authorities say 2 remain in hospital after fiery I-80 crash Updated: May-12-15 1:14 pm
MARENGO, Iowa - Two of 32 people injured in a fiery chain-reaction crash along westbound Interstate 80 remain hospitalized.
- Official says DHS still placing mental health patients Updated: May-11-15 9:37 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Up to six patients at a state mental health facility in Iowa may not have placements elsewhere by the time the facility is slated to close, the head of the agency overseeing the process said Monday.
- Budget negotiations continue in Iowa Legislature Updated: May-11-15 5:52 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Budget haggling continued in the Iowa Legislature Monday, as lawmakers seek a compromise financial deal for the next fiscal year.
- AP top news in Iowa at 3:58 p.m. CDT Updated: May-10-15 6:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Forecasters say severe storms are possible across most of Iowa and eastern Nebraska on Sunday.
- Iowa agency returns 800 handguns from contract under review Updated: May-08-15 2:41 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The Iowa Department of Public Safety has returned to Smith & Wesson all 797 handguns that the state bought under contract that is the subject of an internal investigation, a spokesman said this week.
- Iowa lawmakers looking to make education funding deal Updated: May-07-15 4:19 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa legislative leaders met privately Thursday in an effort to find a compromise on the budget for the next fiscal year.
- Branstad signs address confidentiality program for victims Updated: May-07-15 1:29 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad has signed a bill into law that will allow victims of domestic abuse and other crimes to keep their home address private through a mail-forwarding program.
- Iowa House OKs budget bills on agriculture, judicial branch Updated: May-05-15 7:19 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa House has passed budget bills that would fund several services including the state's judicial branch and natural resources department.
- Iowa Gov. Branstad seeks to change unusual abortion policy Updated: May-05-15 6:22 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad wants to halt a policy adopted two years ago that threatened to put him in the unusual position of having to sign off on payments for every Medicaid-funded abortion in the state.
- Iowa lawmaker: Panel to make changes to broadband bill Updated: May-05-15 5:06 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An Iowa Senate panel will propose changes to Gov. Terry Branstad's broadband expansion bill to ensure it clearly focuses on areas of the state with no high-speed Internet, the panel's chairwoman said Tuesday.
- Iowa State Patrol trooper administers CPR in middle of I-35 Updated: May-05-15 4:25 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Video footage from the dash camera of an Iowa State Patrol car shows a trooper administering CPR to a man in the middle of Interstate 35.
- Ex-lawmaker visits Capitol after acquittal in sex abuse case Updated: Apr-30-15 11:53 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A longtime state lawmaker who was recently acquitted of abusing his dementia-stricken wife visited the Iowa Capitol Thursday.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: Apr-27-15 10:04 am
Quad-City Times. April 24, 2015.
- Correction: Bernard Fatality story Updated: Apr-26-15 8:52 pm
BERNARD, Iowa - In a story April 25 about a fatal crash near Bernard, The Associated Press reported the name of one of the victims incorrectly. Her name was Elaine Edwards, not Ellen Edwards.