- Whistle-blower lawsuit settled in Navy kickbacks case Updated: Aug-03-15 1:26 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A couple from Georgia who filed a lawsuit that blew the whistle on wrongdoing by a longtime U.S. Navy employee and Navy contractors has agreed to settle for $90,000.
- Report: US-led strikes in Iraq, Syria killed 459 civilians Updated: Aug-03-15 12:21 pm
BAGHDAD - U.S.-led airstrikes targeting the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria have likely killed at least 459 civilians over the past year, a report by an independent monitoring group said Monday. The coalition had no immediate comment.
- With new paint and grease, Navy tries to lengthen subs' life Updated: Aug-03-15 11:17 am
GROTON, Connecticut - As it tries to get the most out of each of its $2.6 billion attack submarines, the U.S. Navy is finding a lot depends on the right paint job.
- Air National Guard base near Pittsburgh gets new commander Updated: Aug-03-15 9:34 am
IMPERIAL, Pennsylvania - A Pennsylvania Air National Guard base near Pittsburgh has a new commander.
- 2 military planes going to California to fight wildfires Updated: Aug-03-15 9:19 am
PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colorado - Two Air Force Reserve firefighting planes are being sent to California to battle wildfires raging there.
- Analysis: US-Turkey deal on Syria a big gamble Updated: Aug-03-15 9:06 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan are both taking a big gamble as they agree to work together against the Islamic State group militants in Syria.
- Big training exercise through mid-August at Camp Shelby Updated: Aug-02-15 6:55 pm
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - About 500 active-duty soldiers from Texas are training with a National Guard unit from north Mississippi at Camp Shelby, a 134,000-acre National Guard training center in Hattiesburg.
- Montana National Guard increases security Updated: Aug-02-15 5:53 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Montana National Guard is increasing security at its recruiting offices and armory facilities in response to the July 16 killing of four Marines and a sailor in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Coast Guard chopper makes emergency landing on golf course Updated: Aug-02-15 1:34 pm
NEW YORK - A Coast Guard helicopter had to make an emergency landing on the grounds of New York golf course because of smoke and fumes in the cockpit. No injuries were reported.
- Coast Guard says 2 canoeist dead after leaving Maine port Updated: Aug-02-15 12:47 pm
SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine - The Coast Guard officials say a Pennsylvania couple found dead after setting out on a canoe trip earlier this weekend were both wearing life jackets when their bodies were found.
- Man goes overboard, spends 4 hours in water before rescue Updated: Aug-02-15 12:44 pm
CAPE MAY, New Jersey - Authorities say a man who went overboard from a vessel spent more than four hours in waters off the southern New Jersey coast before he was rescued by a passing boat.
- Coast Guard investigates tar balls on Makaha Beach Updated: Aug-02-15 11:15 am
HONOLULU - The Coast Guard is investigating tar balls found on a 1,000-yeard stretch of Makaha Beach.
- Coast Guard monitoring oil spill in northern New Jersey Updated: Aug-02-15 10:59 am
BAYONNE, New Jersey - Coast Guard crews are monitoring an oil spill that occurred when a tugboat struck a pier in northern New Jersey.
- School resource officer to retire from sheriff's office Updated: Aug-02-15 9:41 am
GADSDEN, Alabama - Lanny Handy has touched the lives of thousands of students during his career as an Etowah County sheriff's deputy.
- Man attacked by bear at Joint Base Lewis-McChord Updated: Aug-01-15 8:41 pm
JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Washington - A man was attacked by a bear at the Joint Base Lewis-McChord, suffering minor injuries.
- Oklahoma, Tulsa push for F-35 base at Tulsa International Updated: Aug-01-15 3:04 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - If state and local officials have their way, the Oklahoma Air National Guard base in Tulsa will become the newest home of the U.S. military's most expensive weapons system, the F-35 Lightning II.
- Navy's newest attack submarine, USS John Warner, joins fleet Updated: Aug-01-15 2:47 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - The Navy's newest nuclear-powered attack submarine joined the fleet Saturday, with top Navy officials saying that it couldn't come soon enough with ever-increasing demands from combatant commanders.
- Navy contract employing New Orleans workers changes hands Updated: Aug-01-15 12:49 pm
NEW ORLEANS - System Integration and Management has notified Louisiana officials it will lay off about 100 employees at its New Orleans site over coming weeks after its contract with the U.S. Navy ended.
- Coast Guard rescues 2 women off the coast of Georgia Updated: Aug-01-15 11:49 am
ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Georgia - A Coast Guard crew rescued a mother and daughter after their boat capsized off Georgia's coast.
- Coast Guard crews searching for missing diver Updated: Aug-01-15 10:13 am
MIAMI - Coast Guard officials in Miami say that are searching for a diver reported missing off the coast of Cudjoe Key.
- New York Air Guard unit competing in parachute competition Updated: Aug-01-15 8:34 am
ROCHESTER, New York - Two New York Army National Guard helicopters are in Rhode Island this weekend for the largest international military parachute competition in the world.
- National Guard opening renovated center in Westminster Updated: Aug-01-15 5:04 am
WESTMINSTER, Maryland - The Maryland National Guard is opening a renovated center housing a military police unit in Westminster.
- Kerry off to Mideast with Egypt, Iran deal, Syria on agenda Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry headed to the Middle East on Friday for security talks in Egypt and discussions in Qatar with Arab foreign ministers whose countries are wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran.
- 'Gut-wrenching' decision: Search for teens suspended Updated: Jul-31-15 10:46 pm
OPA-LOCKA, Florida - After hundreds of rescue workers fanned out across a massive swath of the Atlantic for a full week, the Coast Guard's search for two teenage fishermen ended Friday, a heart-rending decision for families so convinced the boys could be alive they're pressing on with their own hunt.
- The latest: Coast Guard suspends search for missing teens Updated: Jul-31-15 8:26 pm
MIAMI - The latest on the search for the two teens who went missing while on a fishing trip off Florida's Atlantic coast: