- NC pistol permit repeal proposal worries gun-control group Updated: May-05-15 6:04 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A group of mothers and other advocates says a General Assembly proposal seeking to ease gun regulations in North Carolina raises risks for more gun violence because criminal background checks would be required for fewer handgun sales.
- NC lawmakers talk road-funding fix that spreads pain around Updated: May-05-15 5:26 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A proposal to narrow North Carolina's long-term transportation funding shortfall by relying less on gasoline taxes and more on driver's fees and taxes on car sales won mostly favorable reviews Tuesday from lawmakers and road-funding advocates.
- Equality NC opposed to magistrate, religious freedom bills Updated: May-05-15 4:05 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Representatives of Equality North Carolina are preparing to return to Raleigh for this year's Day of Action event at the Legislative Building and to talk with legislators.
- Panel expected more from NC government reform report Updated: May-04-15 7:07 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Some North Carolina lawmakers sound underwhelmed by the latest broad examination of state government they paid Gov. Pat McCrory's administration and consultants to perform.
- Beer by the barrel: A conflict of interests for NC lawmakers Updated: May-02-15 12:58 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A major campaign donor's interests. Upstarts changing the established market. Arm-twisting lobbyists. An anonymous web site urging legislation's defeat as a job-killer.
- NC lawmakers push bills across hall before deadline Updated: Apr-30-15 4:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina General Assembly completed Thursday its marathon week of committee and floor debate that allowed topics in about 200 more bills to stay alive for consideration during this two-year session.
- More medical workers can monitor executions in NC House bill Updated: Apr-29-15 11:53 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina House agreed Wednesday night to expand the list of medical professionals who can monitor executions carried out by state prison officials.
- Correction: Debt-Lawsuits story Updated: Apr-29-15 3:55 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - In a story April 28 about North Carolina Senate legislation on information attached to legal complaints filed by debt buyers against consumers, The Associated Press reported erroneously the name of an attorney at the Center for Responsible Lending. Her name is Ellen Harnick, not Hamrick.
- NC long-standing hunting ban with guns pulled back by House Updated: Apr-28-15 11:40 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The state House agreed Tuesday night to pull back on North Carolina's long-standing ban on hunting with guns on Sundays, replacing it with legislation containing exceptions but giving counties the ability to ban it again locally in a couple of years.
- NC House wants to create crime making "revenge porn" illegal Updated: Apr-28-15 8:54 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina lawmakers want to make it illegal for someone to post graphic sexual pictures online to intentionally embarrass or hurt another.
- North Carolina SBI director confirmed Updated: Apr-28-15 5:22 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The interim director of North Carolina's crime investigation agency no longer has the label "acting" in front of his title.
- NC autism services mandate for insurers clears Senate Updated: Apr-28-15 10:17 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina-regulated health insurance plans would be required to cover autism diagnosis and treatment under legislation that has support from a number of advocacy groups and now most state senators.
- Bill pulls back NC environment mandate on public funds, land Updated: Apr-26-15 10:59 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Leading North Carolina business lobbying groups are pushing to scale back a 1971 state law that requires government agencies to evaluate the potential results of spending public dollars or disturbing public lands on the environment.
- NC House OKs extending length of wait time before abortion Updated: Apr-23-15 9:29 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The state House agreed Thursday to extend the abortion waiting period in North Carolina from 24 hours to 72 hours, with a majority deciding the extra time was about helping women make a more informed decision rather than belittling their ability to choose.
- House agrees to adjust NC presidential primary date Updated: Apr-22-15 9:52 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina House agreed Wednesday night to try to push back the date of next year's North Carolina presidential primary by a few weeks to avoid cuts in national convention delegates, particularly for Republicans who had moved up the contest date from May.
- Bill focused on "puppy mill" problems passes NC House Updated: Apr-22-15 7:55 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina House has again approved minimum dog treatment standards for large commercial dog breeders.
- Another measure to block advance of NC renewables law falls Updated: Apr-22-15 7:55 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina electric companies must keep planning to generate more power through alternative sources and other measures after an effort to freeze those requirements failed to advance Wednesday through a House committee.
- Constitutional proposal for team tickets fails in NC House Updated: Apr-22-15 6:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - There aren't enough state House votes to advance a proposal letting North Carolina voters decide if pairs of candidates for governor and lieutenant governor must run together in fall elections.
- NC bill seeks help for very sick patients with trial drugs Updated: Apr-21-15 10:13 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - People diagnosed with life-ending illnesses could have improved opportunity to use experimental drugs or devices to prolong or reverse their ailment in legislation clearing the North Carolina House.
- Retention option for NC appellate judges ekes through House Updated: Apr-21-15 9:02 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Lawmakers in the North Carolina House narrowly agreed Tuesday to give North Carolina appellate court judges a new way to keep their jobs through something called retention elections - when only their name is on the ballot.
- McCrory visits NC House GOP during chamber late night Updated: Apr-21-15 8:19 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina House lawmakers worked late into the night as a key deadline approaches next week and chamber Republicans heard from Gov. Pat McCrory.
- Tanning bed ban for young people again clears NC House Updated: Apr-21-15 6:59 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina House has again agreed to ban children from using tanning beds in the state, citing efforts to protect young people from skin cancer.
- NC bill for colleges to pay athletes fails in committee Updated: Apr-21-15 1:53 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A bill requiring North Carolina's public and private universities with top-division football and men's basketball programs to pay athletes failed to make it out of a state House committee on Tuesday.
- E-liquid packaging would address child safety in NC bill Updated: Apr-21-15 1:50 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Some North Carolina lawmakers want containers of nicotine-laced liquid used in electronic cigarettes to have child-resistant packaging before it can be sold in the state.
- NC regulators told by House to prep for federal carbon rules Updated: Apr-20-15 9:37 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina House members agree the state should prepare for a proposed federal rule reducing carbon dioxide pollution even though it's being challenged in court and its final form may be altered.