- North Carolina considers law regulating virtual currencies Updated: May-25-15 11:19 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Legislators in America's second-largest banking center are considering regulations for Bitcoin and other virtual currencies.
- What House members talked about during NC budget debate Updated: May-22-15 4:40 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina House voted on 45 amendments during debate Thursday and early Friday over the chamber's two-year state budget. Here are the outcomes of some contentious or high-profile issues. The chamber:
- GOP's NC budget proposal gets lots of Democratic votes Updated: May-22-15 4:36 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - House Republicans experienced the first showing of strong bipartisan support for a budget bill since before the Great Recession as the chamber passed a two-year spending plan that benefited from a revenue windfall.
- More NC budget changes made before House gives initial OK Updated: May-22-15 12:50 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A solid bipartisan majority in the House gave initial approval Thursday night to the chamber's state budget proposal for the next two years that was buoyed by additional expected funds from a recovering economy for pay raises, reserves and Medicaid.
- NC tanning bed ban for youth signed into law by governor Updated: May-21-15 1:28 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A dozen bills signed into law by Gov. Pat McCrory include a ban on anyone under 18 using tanning beds in North Carolina.
- NC state Sen. Bingham says this term will be his last Updated: May-20-15 7:49 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A Republican state senator says this two-year term in the North Carolina General Assembly will be his last.
- North Carolina lawmakers honor Duke's NCAA title Updated: May-19-15 4:14 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Another national championship, another visit to the North Carolina Legislature for Coach K and the Duke Blue Devils.
- Grass Roots North Carolina runs radio ad backing gun bill Updated: May-19-15 2:50 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A gun-rights advocacy group is running a radio ad to try to pressure House Republican leaders into letting colleagues vote on a wide-ranging measure that would further ease firearm control restrictions.
- Deer, swine, eels in NC farm bill that gets Senate OK Updated: May-18-15 9:23 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The General Assembly's annual bill to address North Carolina's farm industry has cleared the Senate.
- 10 people seeking action on NC minimum wage arrested Updated: May-13-15 8:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Another 10 people opposed to Republican state government policies were arrested Wednesday inside the North Carolina Legislative Building, this time while demonstrating in support of raising the minimum wage.
- House OKs debt option for extensive NC Beach Plan claims Updated: May-12-15 5:42 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Tax-free bonds could be issued in North Carolina to help pay for catastrophic insurance claims caused by hurricanes in a bill given initial approval by the state House.
- Ohio jabs Connecticut in Wright brothers 1st flight fight Updated: May-12-15 3:35 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's fight to defend the legacy of the Wright brothers soared forward Tuesday in a unanimous vote to repudiate Connecticut's claim that another aviator beat them as first in flight.
- Broad cuts, narrow tax breaks boost NC business better? Updated: May-09-15 10:31 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina legislators who say their decision to cut corporate and personal income taxes two years ago spurred job growth are again debating whether to preserve elective tax breaks Gov. Pat McCrory's administration has wanted to expand for months.
- NC House OKs freezing renewable energy demands on utilities Updated: May-06-15 8:23 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A renewed effort to freeze the percentage of North Carolina's retail electricity sales required to come from renewable sources or efficient efforts passed the state House on Wednesday
- NC speaker prefers holding bond votes in early 2016 Updated: May-06-15 6:53 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina House Speaker Tim Moore says he'd prefer a statewide vote early next year on borrowing for road construction and government infrastructure, rather than this fall as Gov. Pat McCrory wants.
- NC lawmakers talk road-funding fix that spreads pain around Updated: May-05-15 5:26 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A proposal to narrow North Carolina's long-term transportation funding shortfall by relying less on gasoline taxes and more on driver's fees and taxes on car sales won mostly favorable reviews Tuesday from lawmakers and road-funding advocates.
- Equality NC opposed to magistrate, religious freedom bills Updated: May-05-15 4:05 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Representatives of Equality North Carolina are preparing to return to Raleigh for this year's Day of Action event at the Legislative Building and to talk with legislators.
- Panel expected more from NC government reform report Updated: May-04-15 7:07 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Some North Carolina lawmakers sound underwhelmed by the latest broad examination of state government they paid Gov. Pat McCrory's administration and consultants to perform.
- Beer by the barrel: A conflict of interests for NC lawmakers Updated: May-02-15 12:58 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A major campaign donor's interests. Upstarts changing the established market. Arm-twisting lobbyists. An anonymous web site urging legislation's defeat as a job-killer.
- NC lawmakers push bills across hall before deadline Updated: Apr-30-15 4:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina General Assembly completed Thursday its marathon week of committee and floor debate that allowed topics in about 200 more bills to stay alive for consideration during this two-year session.
- More medical workers can monitor executions in NC House bill Updated: Apr-29-15 11:53 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina House agreed Wednesday night to expand the list of medical professionals who can monitor executions carried out by state prison officials.
- Correction: Debt-Lawsuits story Updated: Apr-29-15 3:55 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - In a story April 28 about North Carolina Senate legislation on information attached to legal complaints filed by debt buyers against consumers, The Associated Press reported erroneously the name of an attorney at the Center for Responsible Lending. Her name is Ellen Harnick, not Hamrick.
- NC long-standing hunting ban with guns pulled back by House Updated: Apr-28-15 11:40 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The state House agreed Tuesday night to pull back on North Carolina's long-standing ban on hunting with guns on Sundays, replacing it with legislation containing exceptions but giving counties the ability to ban it again locally in a couple of years.
- NC House wants to create crime making "revenge porn" illegal Updated: Apr-28-15 8:54 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina lawmakers want to make it illegal for someone to post graphic sexual pictures online to intentionally embarrass or hurt another.
- North Carolina SBI director confirmed Updated: Apr-28-15 5:22 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The interim director of North Carolina's crime investigation agency no longer has the label "acting" in front of his title.