- Congress' familiar path: short-term solutions Updated: May-23-15 10:40 pm
WASHINGTON - Long is the list of problems Congress has addressed with short-term answers.
- NSA winds down once-secret phone-records collection program Updated: May-23-15 2:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The National Security Agency has begun winding down its collection and storage of American phone records after the Senate failed to agree on a path forward to change or extend the once-secret program ahead of its expiration at the end of the month.
- Provo police chief calls for expanded Medicaid to help crime Updated: May-23-15 1:24 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah police chief is calling on state lawmakers to accept federal funding to expand Medicaid as a way to fight crime.
- Up & Down in Texas politics: Tax cuts; crunch time calm Updated: May-23-15 12:44 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Gov. Greg Abbott used his January inaugural address to promise "lasting" property tax cuts.
- Christie criticizes Senate's failure to extend Patriot Act Updated: May-23-15 12:20 pm
MORRISTOWN, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie said the U.S. Senate's failure to extend the Patriot Act could have dangerous consequences.
- What's left for Connecticut lawmakers this session Updated: May-23-15 9:20 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - With the June 3 adjournment deadline fast approaching, the Connecticut General Assembly still has some major pieces of legislation to pass. A look at some of the highlights:
- W.Va. Senate president to be Coca Cola 600 honorary starter Updated: May-23-15 9:05 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia Senate President Bill Cole will be the honorary starter for the Coca Cola 600 NASCAR race this weekend in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Senate clears White House-backed trade bill Updated: May-23-15 4:33 am
WASHINGTON - In a victory for President Barack Obama, the Senate passed bipartisan legislation Friday night to strengthen the administration's hand in global trade talks, clearing the way for a highly unpredictable summer showdown in the House.
- Another patch put in place for highway and transit funding Updated: May-23-15 4:30 am
WASHINGTON - Congress has sent President Barack Obama a bill to keep highway and transit aid flowing to states for another two months and prevent shutdown of summer construction projects.
- Senators sing blues over impasse; GOP hopefuls stuck in DC Updated: May-22-15 10:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Two senators have a plane to catch to Cuba, others were hoping to impress Republican presidential primary voters and then there's Sen. Lamar Alexander, who is slated to deliver a sunset piano performance of "Ol' Man River" on the banks of the Mississippi.
- Senate approves Obama's hard-fought trade negotiating bill Updated: May-22-15 9:25 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-led Senate has handed President Barack Obama a major victory by approving his request for enhanced trade negotiating authority.
- VA must find millions to finish troubled Denver hospital Updated: May-22-15 8:07 pm
DENVER - Construction crews are returning to work at the veterans hospital outside Denver after a last-minute deal with congressional leaders avoided a shutdown of the half-finished project.
- Legislature approves $7.1 billion state budget, ends early Updated: May-22-15 7:36 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Legislature wrapped up work on a $7.1 billion budget and approved a bond issue for a pop culture museum in Tulsa on Friday before ending the 2015 legislative session one week early.
- Senate tweaks veterans health law to boost specialized care Updated: May-22-15 6:22 pm
WASHINGTON - Veterans would get specialized medical care from private doctors more easily under a bill the Senate approved Friday.
- Jury to reconvene for closing arguments in trial of Bosworth Updated: May-22-15 6:08 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Testimony in the trial of former U.S. Senate candidate Annette Bosworth has ended, and the jury will reconvene next week to hear closing arguments.
- Dayton takes preschool pitch to Minnesota's tiniest students Updated: May-22-15 5:56 pm
APPLE VALLEY, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton took his pitch for statewide preschool directly to Minnesota's smallest students on Friday as he gears up to convince legislators to fund one of his top priorities.
- Legislature approves extension of reading test exemptions Updated: May-22-15 5:54 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Legislature has approved a bill making it easier for Oklahoma third-graders to advance to fourth grade even if they can't demonstrate basic reading skills.
- Things to know about the next Texas budget Updated: May-22-15 5:34 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The first state budget under Republican Gov. Greg Abbott spends lavishly on border security, defunds one of Rick Perry's signature initiatives and includes the biggest tax cuts in a decade.
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting Utah congressmen Updated: May-22-15 4:54 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A conservative group has yanked television ads set to air Friday targeting U.S. Reps. Rob Bishop and Chris Stewart after the two Utah congressmen announced they share the group's view that a federal export bank should be shut down.
- Obama signs bill giving Congress a say on Iran nuclear deal Updated: May-22-15 4:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Though he once vigorously opposed its involvement, President Barack Obama signed legislation Friday that gives Congress the power to review and potentially reject a nuclear deal with Iran.
- New Army Reserve Center proposed for Starkville Updated: May-22-15 4:09 pm
STARKVILLE, Mississippi - An estimated $9.3 million is provided in an appropriations bill for a new Army Reserve Center in Starkville.
- Clinton appears to rule out return of ground forces in Iraq Updated: May-22-15 3:45 pm
HAMPTON, New Hampshire - Democratic presidential contender Hillary Rodham Clinton said Friday she sees "no role whatsoever" for U.S. ground forces in Iraq despite setbacks in the struggle against Islamic State militants.
- For Senate leader Bakk, session's end exposes divisions Updated: May-22-15 3:26 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - All eyes heading into this year's legislative session were on new House Speaker Kurt Daudt, under pressure to hold together 71 fellow Republicans back in power and eager to slash government spending.
- Challenger to Va. House speaker says policy change unfair Updated: May-22-15 2:24 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The woman trying to unseat Virginia House Speaker William J. Howell in next month's GOP primary says the board of elections has given her opponent an unfair advantage.
- Father of Santa Barbara shooting victim wants gun reforms Updated: May-22-15 1:52 pm
LOS ANGELES - Richard Martinez thinks of his son every day, and with those thoughts come the constant reminder of a young life cut tragically short by a troubled man with a gun.