- 5 things about Congress' fight over Planned Parenthood Updated: Aug-02-15 8:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans will likely lose Monday's Senate showdown over halting federal aid to Planned Parenthood. Yet the political offensive by abortion foes has just started, prompted by a batch of unsettling videos that has focused attention on the group's little-noticed practice of providing fetal tissue to researchers.
- Legislator proposes exotic animal ban in wake of lion hunt Updated: Aug-02-15 5:13 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Lions and tigers and bears - maybe in Oz, but not in Wisconsin if one Republican legislator gets his way.
- AG candidates take hard-hitting campaign to Fancy Farm Updated: Aug-01-15 11:18 pm
FANCY FARM, Kentucky - Democrat Andy Beshear and Republican Whitney Westerfield traded pot shots Saturday at Kentucky's premier political showdown, where prosecutorial experience and claims of skipping work for pedicures spiced up their hard-hitting campaign for attorney general.
- US presidential hopeful Martin O'Malley visits Puerto Rico Updated: Aug-01-15 9:16 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley became the first Democratic presidential candidate to make a campaign stop in Puerto Rico this year as part of an effort to woo Latino voters.
- US government may end delays in paying counties for land Updated: Aug-01-15 5:47 pm
VAIL, Colorado - A proposal in Congress could end federal delays in paying counties the money they are owed for public land by extending funding for the Payment in Lieu of Taxes and Secure Rural Schools programs.
- Moulton says he'll support Iran deal as 'best viable option' Updated: Aug-01-15 4:22 pm
SALEM, Massachusetts - U.S. Rep. Seth Moulton is among a handful of Congressional Democrats announcing their support for a nuclear deal with Iran since meeting with President Barack Obama this past week.
- Dems still weighing Iran deal, but happy with Obama outreach Updated: Aug-01-15 2:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Determined to secure support for the Iran nuclear deal, President Barack Obama is making inroads with a tough constituency - his fellow Democrats in Congress.
- St. Clair County sheriff passes on US House bid Updated: Aug-01-15 4:05 am
BELLEVILLE, Illinois - A southwestern Illinois sheriff recruited by the national Democratic Party to challenge a first-term Republican congressman has declined the offer.
- The latest: Coast Guard suspends search for missing teens Updated: Jul-31-15 8:26 pm
MIAMI - The latest on the search for the two teens who went missing while on a fishing trip off Florida's Atlantic coast:
- Ethics panel clears lawmakers in 2013 Azerbaijan trip Updated: Jul-31-15 6:41 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Ethics Committee said Friday it found no evidence of wrongdoing by a bipartisan group of lawmakers who went on a 2013 trip to Azerbaijan paid for by that country's government.
- GOP legislators seek audit of money to Planned Parenthood Updated: Jul-31-15 6:16 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina House Republicans are seeking an audit of Planned Parenthood clinics in the state as Congress considers cutting off federal funding to the abortion provider.
- Boozman: States need more flexibility in nutrition bill Updated: Jul-31-15 5:29 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - States need to be given more flexibility in how they administer child nutrition programs as the funding bill comes up for renewal this fall, U.S. Sen. John Boozman said Friday.
- Study: Shasta Dam expansion feasible but financing unclear Updated: Jul-31-15 5:10 pm
WASHINGTON - A long-awaited study requested by Congress concludes that enlarging Shasta Dam in California by 18.5 feet is technically and economically feasible, though the Bureau of Reclamation declined to make a formal recommendation to move ahead with the project.
- Taking on Bush and Rubio, Clinton calls for Cuba embargo end Updated: Jul-31-15 4:16 pm
MIAMI - Drawing a sharp distinction with Republican rivals in the pivotal election state of Florida, Hillary Rodham Clinton on Friday called on the GOP-run Congress to end the trade embargo the U.S. has imposed on Cuba since 1962
- UN nuclear chief to talk to Senate critics of Iran nuke deal Updated: Jul-31-15 4:15 pm
VIENNA - U.S. Senators who accuse the Obama administration of making secret deals with Iran that go beyond the publicly known nuclear pact will get a chance next week to question the head of the U.N. agency said to be linked to the alleged clandestine documents
- Monster of a fall awaits Congress after summer break Updated: Jul-31-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - As lawmakers head out of the Capitol for a five-week summer recess, they leave behind a pile of unfinished business that all but guarantees a painful fall.
- Obama to extend college aid grants to some prison inmates Updated: Jul-31-15 2:20 pm
WASHINGTON - More than 20 years after banning prisoners from receiving student aid, some federal and state inmates could be eligible for Pell grant money to take college courses while still behind bars.
- Fancy Farm looks to sports talk radio host as its 2015 emcee Updated: Jul-31-15 1:55 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - If the goal of last year's Fancy Farm picnic was to tone down the crowd, this year's version promises to turn up the volume.
- Obama signs highway extension, calls for long-term funding Updated: Jul-31-15 12:09 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama says the U.S. government can't keep funding highway and transit projects "by the seat of our pants."
- Cardiologist details troubles at Chicago-area VA hospital Updated: Jul-31-15 10:38 am
CHICAGO - A cardiologist who worked at a Chicago-area Veterans Affairs hospital says the facility had a yearlong backlog of unread heart tests.
- Hundreds of new laws to take effect in North Dakota Updated: Jul-31-15 10:20 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Hundreds of new laws are set to take effect in North Dakota, including one that will make it easier to buy alcohol on Sundays and another that will allow concealed-carry permit holders to bring their guns to more places.
- Lawmakers take summer break after acting on budget vetoes Updated: Jul-31-15 9:50 am
BOSTON - The Legislature has begun its summer recess after overriding dozens of Gov. Charlie Baker's line-item budget vetoes.
- South Carolina senator backs Mark Kirk's re-election bid Updated: Jul-31-15 6:23 am
CHICAGO - South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham brought his Republican presidential campaign to Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood, where he voiced his support of Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk's bid for re-election.
- MGM Resorts hires former Nevada congressman to brand casino Updated: Jul-31-15 6:19 am
LAS VEGAS - Former Nevada Congressman Steven Horsford is helping MGM Resorts International make sure the casino company keeps its word to Prince George's County officials and hires at least half its workforce for MGM National Harbor in Maryland from the county and contracts with minority-owned businesses.
- Ex-Maine congressman is Obama pick for administration post Updated: Jul-30-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama has tapped a former Maine congressman for an administration post to help veterans seeking training and jobs.