- Gulfport man loses appeal of life sentence Updated: Jun-26-15 5:05 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - The Mississippi Supreme Court has declined to hear James John Rodgers' appeal of his conviction and life sentence for a 2011 fatal shooting at a mobile home park in Gulfport.
- Court won't hear appeal of man convicted in shooting Updated: Jun-26-15 4:44 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Supreme Court has changed its mind and won't hear an appeal from Eric Wallace, a paralyzed Warren County man convicted in a 2011 drive-by shooting.
- Mississippi inmate loses appeal of death sentence Updated: Jun-25-15 3:15 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Mississippi death row inmate has failed to persuade the Mississippi Supreme Court that news coverage and the prominence of the victim's family in Union County denied him an impartial jury at his sentencing.
- Mississippi editorial roundup Updated: Jun-25-15 10:53 am
Recent editorials from Mississippi newspapers:
- Senate opponents locked in residency dispute Updated: Jun-23-15 4:09 pm
HOLLY SPRINGS, Mississippi - A residency fight in Senate District 10 appears headed to the Mississippi Supreme Court.
- Former state lawmaker dead at 85. Updated: Jun-23-15 8:23 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - Former state Rep. Roger G. Ishee, who served 15 years in the Mississippi House, has died at the age 85.
- Top lawmaker: Remove Confederate sign from Mississippi flag Updated: Jun-22-15 9:05 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A top Mississippi lawmaker said Monday that the Confederate battle emblem is offensive and needs to be removed from the state flag.
- Video voyeurism case before Mississippi Supreme Court Updated: Jun-22-15 4:07 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A former Mississippi minister secretly videotaped women taking showers at his home and later transferred the video to a computer in violation of the law, prosecutors argued Monday before the Mississippi Supreme Court.
- Video voyeurism case before Mississippi Supreme Court Updated: Jun-20-15 11:53 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A former Mississippi minister convicted of secretly videotaping women taking showers at his home is asking the state Supreme Court to dismiss the conviction.
- Corrections Department launching new trash pickup program Updated: Jun-19-15 4:09 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Department of Corrections is launching a program Aug. 1 that will allow state inmates to pick up trash along state highways.
- Inmate loses effort to seal medical records during appeal Updated: Jun-19-15 11:05 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Supreme Court has denied a motion from death row inmate Bobby Batiste to seal his medical records.
- King wins resentencing for 1980 slaying Updated: Jun-19-15 4:49 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Supreme Court has ordered a Lowndes County judge to resentence one-time death row inmate Mack Arthur King to life with parole.
- Copiah man's death sentenced upheld in 2011 slaying Updated: Jun-19-15 4:28 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Supreme Court has denied the appeal of a Copiah County man sentenced to death for the 2011 slaying of the mother of his daughter.
- Mississippi goes through hurricane 'contraflow' drill Updated: Jun-17-15 8:16 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Transportation Commissioner Tom King would just as soon see any emergency protocols dealing with violent weather sit gathering dust with nothing but sunny days and blue skies.
- Miss. death-row inmate denied appeal by US high court Updated: Jun-15-15 11:10 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The U.S. Supreme Court has refused to hear a Mississippi death row inmate's petition for a new trial.
- Court upholds ruling that Kemper rate increase is illegal Updated: Jun-11-15 7:55 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Supreme Court is sticking by its original decision finding that rate increases for Mississippi Power Co.'s Kemper County power plant are illegal.
- Calhoun County murder conviction stands Updated: Jun-11-15 3:04 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Calhoun County man's 2013 conviction of murder has been upheld by the Mississippi Supreme Court.
- Miss. justices hear debate over school funding ballot titles Updated: Jun-09-15 2:26 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Supreme Court justices are asking tough questions about how voters can tell the difference between two school funding proposals on the ballot this November.
- Death row inmate challenges evidence in new trial bid Updated: Jun-06-15 11:11 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A man sentenced to death in the rape and killing of an 82-year-old woman is pursuing a new trial by renewing a legal challenge on evidence from a bite mark on the victim that was used to convict him.
- Court lets Mississippi execution drug supplier remain secret Updated: Jun-05-15 10:13 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi prison system can keep concealing the identity of its execution drug supplier while the system appeals an order to release the information, the Mississippi Supreme Court said in a 5-3 ruling Friday.
- Republican wins runoff for US House seat in Mississippi Updated: Jun-02-15 11:07 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The GOP held on to a Mississippi congressional seat in a special-election runoff Tuesday in which a Republican district attorney handily defeated a fellow attorney and Democratic political consultant who was seeking his first public office.