- Obama urges Turkey, Russia to set tension aside, focus on IS Updated: Dec-01-15 6:39 am
PARIS - Aiming to head off a rift between major Mideast players, President Barack Obama urged Turkey and Russia on Tuesday to set aside tensions over the downing of a Russian warplane and focus on the common priority of defeating the Islamic State group.
- US Marine found guilty of killing transgender Filipino Updated: Dec-01-15 6:10 am
OLONGAPO, Philippines - A Philippine court on Tuesday convicted a U.S. Marine of killing a Filipino last year after he discovered she was a transgender woman in a hotel while he was on a break after participating in joint military exercises in the country.
- Syrian refugees become issue in Illinois Senate race Updated: Dec-01-15 5:01 am
WASHINGTON - A Republican senator in a tough re-election race is attacking his top Democratic rival for supporting more Syrian refugees in the U.S., marking the issue's first appearance in Senate campaign advertising.
- From racing to rum, things to know about year-end tax breaks Updated: Dec-01-15 3:57 am
WASHINGTON - It's December, when Congress typically passes a last-minute package of temporary tax breaks, sparing millions of businesses and individuals from unwanted tax increases just weeks before the start of filing season.
- Cybersecurity bills would add secrecy to public records laws Updated: Dec-01-15 3:24 am
WASHINGTON - A proposed law meant to encourage companies to share information about cyberthreats with the U.S. government includes measures that could significantly limit what details, if any, the public can review about the program through federal and state public records laws.
- Justice Antonin Scalia to speak at Augustana University Updated: Dec-01-15 2:25 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia will be in South Dakota this winter to speak at Augustana University.
- Asia stocks rise as Japan data mends, yuan status welcomed Updated: Nov-30-15 10:29 pm
TOKYO - Asian stock markets were mostly higher Tuesday as improved manufacturing in Japan offset weak Chinese data. The addition of the yuan to the IMF's basket of globally important currencies bolstered confidence China is making progress with financial and economic liberalization.
- Progress cited in settlement talks of Jenkinson's dune suit Updated: Nov-30-15 10:16 pm
POINT PLEASANT BEACH, New Jersey - Efforts to settle a lawsuit brought by the owner of a popular beach against New Jersey's plan to build protective sand dunes are making progress, and a court hearing has been postponed to allow the talks to continue.
- Deer shooting to reduce herd to resume at Rock Creek Park Updated: Nov-30-15 8:54 pm
WASHINGTON - The National Park Service says the white-tailed deer management program at Rock Creek Park will resume with shooters reducing the herd.
- University to dedicate building to Parren Mitchell Updated: Nov-30-15 8:28 pm
COLLEGE PARK, Maryland - The University of Maryland will dedicate a building in College Park to Parren Mitchell, the first black person elected to Congress from Maryland.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: New Speaker, new facial hair Updated: Nov-30-15 8:24 pm
WASHINGTON - New House Speaker. New look: facial hair.
- From Homeland to hair: Clinton emails peek into the personal Updated: Nov-30-15 7:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest release of Hillary Clinton's private emails show her, as secretary of state, dealing with the complicated politics of the Arab Spring, fending off questions about her role in the deadly 2012 Benghazi attacks and attempting to navigate an intensifying conflict between Israel and Palestine.
- 2nd arrest linked to theft of weapons from armory Updated: Nov-30-15 7:31 pm
BOSTON - A second arrest has been made in connection with the theft of weapons from a U.S. Army Reserve Center in Worcester.
- GOP leader defends House Planned Parenthood investigation Updated: Nov-30-15 7:27 pm
WASHINGTON - A Republican congressional leader on Monday defended a House investigation of Planned Parenthood's provision of fetal tissue to researchers, offering no suggestion that last week's shooting deaths at one of the group's clinics will cause the GOP to retreat from that probe.
- Thanksgiving break ends with budget stalemate still in place Updated: Nov-30-15 6:42 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Talks between Gov. Tom Wolf and top lawmakers continued Monday as the Thanksgiving break ended, but there was scant detail and a lot of silence about how they intended to end a five-month-old budget stalemate.
- Senate confirms Obama's pick for USAID administrator Updated: Nov-30-15 6:29 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate has confirmed President Barack Obama's nominee to lead the U.S. Agency for International Development after months of delay rooted in a separate dispute over the international nuclear deal with Iran.
- Fed moves to bar bailouts of failing firms Updated: Nov-30-15 6:03 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve officials have moved to prevent the central bank from bailing out failing companies, a power it exercised during the 2008 financial crisis.
- EPA boosts amount of ethanol in gasoline supply Updated: Nov-30-15 6:02 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is boosting the amount of corn-based ethanol and other renewable fuels in the U.S. gasoline supply despite sustained opposition by an unusual alliance of oil companies, environmentalists and some GOP presidential candidates.
- Walker to attend Christmas tree lighting, testify at hearing Updated: Nov-30-15 6:00 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Bill Walker is heading to Washington, D.C., to attend the U.S. Capitol Christmas tree lighting and to testify before a U.S. Senate committee.
- Group seeks hate crime investigation for cab driver shooting Updated: Nov-30-15 5:17 pm
PITTSBURGH - The FBI is reviewing the shooting of a Pittsburgh cab driver after a Muslim civil rights group asked the Justice Department to determine if it was a hate crime.
- House may move quickly to overhaul visa waiver program Updated: Nov-30-15 5:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress may move quickly to overhaul a program that allows travel to the U.S. with no visa, something that has come under criticism following the Paris terror attacks.
- Putin, Obama discuss Syria political settlement Updated: Nov-30-15 5:02 pm
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday that he and President Barack Obama have a shared understanding on how to move toward a political settlement in Syria, but added that incidents like the recent downing of a Russian warplane by a Turkish fighter jet stymie broader cooperation against extremism.
- 5 Vermont National Guard members headed to Horn of Africa Updated: Nov-30-15 4:48 pm
COLCHESTER, Vermont - Five members of the Vermont National Guard are headed to the Horn of Africa for an assignment flying and maintaining transport aircraft.
- US Park Service releases report on climate change response Updated: Nov-30-15 4:20 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - As world leaders began talks in Paris on solutions to global warming, the National Park Service on Monday released a report detailing agency efforts to address threats to national parks from climate change.
- Top carbon culprits US, China, India debate nuances of roles Updated: Nov-30-15 4:13 pm
LE BOURGET, France - Call them the culprits of carbon.