- Former Senator Gary Hart to defend Iran deal Updated: Sep-02-15 5:04 am
DENVER - Former Colorado Senator Gary Hart is trying to give cover to the state's current senior senator to support the Iran deal.
- VA planning to open clinic in Montgomery County Updated: Sep-02-15 4:19 am
WASHINGTON - Maryland elected officials say the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is considering opening an outpatient clinic in Montgomery County.
- OSHA proposes $78,800 in fines against Tallahatchie sawmill Updated: Sep-02-15 4:08 am
CHARLESTON, Mississippi - A Charleston sawmill faces up to $78,800 in fines after a safety inspection found the company wasn't using safety devices to protect employees.
- NRC board agrees to hold hearing on decommissioning fund Updated: Sep-02-15 4:06 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A licensing board connected to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has agreed with Vermont that a hearing is needed over the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant's use of money from its decommissioning fund for management of radioactive waste at the plant site.
- Coast Guard to conduct annual fire-fighting training event Updated: Sep-02-15 4:06 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The U.S. Coast Guard is scheduled to conduct an annual, live fire-fighting training exercise in northern Michigan's Traverse City.
- Counties added for assistance after July storms in Kentucky Updated: Sep-02-15 4:05 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - The U.S. Small Business Administration says additional counties have been added to those eligible for assistance following severe weather in July.
- Sen. Scott hosting field hearing at Clemson on aging Updated: Sep-02-15 4:04 am
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - U.S. Sen. Tim Scott is bringing a discussion on aging to Clemson University.
- Education Secretary Duncan to make swing through Indiana Updated: Sep-02-15 3:47 am
INDIANAPOLIS - U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan will be making stops in Indiana later this month as a part of a seven-state "back to school" bus tour.
- Obama locking up votes in Senate for Iran nuclear deal Updated: Sep-02-15 3:19 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is just one Senate vote shy of being able to declare success on the Iran nuclear deal and cement a foreign policy legacy.
- W.Va. localities face Friday deadline on FEMA grants Updated: Sep-02-15 2:39 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The clock is ticking for West Virginia localities seeking a federal assist during hard times.
- Business groups: Smog rule would hurt Pennsylvania economy Updated: Sep-02-15 2:26 am
The federal government's proposal to reduce smog will harm Pennsylvania manufacturers and the state's broader economy, pro-business groups are warning in a new public-relations offensive against the upcoming regulations.
- Missouri executes man for 15-year-old girl's 1989 killing Updated: Sep-01-15 11:31 pm
BONNE TERRE, Missouri - A man who spent nearly 25 years on Missouri's death row was executed Tuesday for the kidnapping, rape and fatal stabbing of a 15-year-old girl who was waiting for a school bus.
- The Latest: Missouri executes man for girl's 1989 killing Updated: Sep-01-15 11:19 pm
BONNE TERRE, Missouri - The latest on the scheduled execution of Missouri inmate Roderick Nunley, who was convicted of kidnapping, raping and killing a 15-year-old girl in Kansas City in 1989 (all times local):
- FBI raids Palm Springs City Hall in corruption probe Updated: Sep-01-15 9:52 pm
PALM SPRINGS, California - The FBI and local agents raided Palm Springs City Hall and went to the mayor's home on Tuesday as part of a corruption probe, authorities said.
- Vice presidential bid something Warren 'not talking about' Updated: Sep-01-15 9:25 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren says the possibility she would run as a vice presidential candidate in the 2016 election is "something I'm not talking about" and she's happy with her job as senator.
- NTSB releases factual report on Seattle news chopper crash Updated: Sep-01-15 9:16 pm
SEATTLE - Federal investigators have released factual findings into last year's Seattle news helicopter crash that killed two men on board and burned a third on the ground.
- Senate leader: Not enough votes to defund Planned Parenthood Updated: Sep-01-15 8:16 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate's top Republican is conceding that his party will have to await the next president before it can cut off federal funds that go to Planned Parenthood, prompting heated rebuffs from conservatives.
- Parents of women killed on San Francisco pier file claims Updated: Sep-01-15 8:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The parents of a San Francisco woman who was fatally shot by a man in the country illegally said Tuesday that federal and local authorities contributed to the death of their daughter through negligence and bureaucratic bungling.
- US, Michigan State University reach deal over assault cases Updated: Sep-01-15 7:52 pm
DETROIT - Michigan State University's failure to timely address complaints of sexual harassment or assault contributed to a "sexually hostile environment," the federal government said Tuesday as it closed an investigation but also noted improvements at the East Lansing campus.
- FDA issues warning letters to powdered caffeine distributors Updated: Sep-01-15 7:21 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Food and Drug Administration has issued warning letters to five distributors of pure powdered caffeine, saying the products put consumers at risk.
- Attorneys file arguments over scope of water rule injunction Updated: Sep-01-15 7:17 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - Attorneys who have been debating state and federal powers regarding small waterways filed written arguments Tuesday over whether a judge's decision to block a new Obama administration water rule applies nationwide.
- Group says IRS ruling could promote community solar projects Updated: Sep-01-15 6:50 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A Vermont man who bought 10 solar panels as part of a jointly owned solar power project is poised to get 30 percent of his cost added to his income tax refund after the Internal Revenue Service ruled he could take the same tax credit used by some of the people who put solar panels on their roofs.
- Israel asks UN to reject Palestinian attempt to raise flag Updated: Sep-01-15 6:03 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Israel on Tuesday urged U.N. leaders to reject a Palestinian attempt to raise their flag at U.N. headquarters as early as this month's gathering of world leaders there.
- Lawmakers press Dayton to hit pause on UCare decision Updated: Sep-01-15 5:56 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - State senators are pressing Gov. Mark Dayton to halt a contracting process in which a major health insurance company lost out.
- Pentagon to survey S. Carolina brig for Guantanamo detainees Updated: Sep-01-15 5:53 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Pentagon team is coming to South Carolina this week to evaluate whether the Navy brig near Charleston could be suitable to house detainees from the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, officials said Tuesday.