- The Latest: UN says many starve in 'senseless' Syria war Updated: Apr-28-16 4:54 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war (all times local):
- Obama boosts Islamic State fight, asks Europe to do the same Updated: Apr-25-16 7:06 pm
HANNOVER, Germany - Evoking history and appealing for solidarity, President Barack Obama on Monday cast his decision to send 250 more troops to Syria as a bid to keep up "momentum" in the campaign to dislodge Islamic State extremists. He pressed European allies to match the U.S. with new contributions of their own.
- The Latest: Obama meeting with European leaders Updated: Apr-25-16 8:51 am
HANNOVER, Germany - The Latest on President Barack Obama's visit to Germany (all times local):
- Administration: Up to 250 military personnel headed to Syria Updated: Apr-24-16 7:11 pm
AERZEN, Germany - President Barack Obama will send an additional 250 military personnel to Syria to help local forces fighting the Islamic State group, increasing to 300 the number of U.S. forces battling extremists in the war-torn country, administration officials confirmed Sunday.
- In Damascus, an uneasy stability boosts Syria's Assad Updated: Apr-23-16 10:49 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - Looking out from the Syrian capital these days, one can understand why President Bashar Assad would be in no hurry to make concessions at peace talks in Geneva, let alone consider stepping down as the opposition demands.
- Talks stalled, Syrian opposition to stay in Geneva next week Updated: Apr-22-16 2:00 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war and peace talks in Geneva (all times local):
- Heartbreak as Syrians briefly return home to IS-free Palmyra Updated: Apr-15-16 1:17 pm
PALMYRA, Syria - When Islamic State fighters overran the ancient Syrian town of Palmyra almost a year ago, Maha Abderrazak was among tens of thousands of terrified civilians who fled west, many escaping with just the clothes on their backs and a few belongings they could carry by hand.
- US, Russia talking 'almost daily' on Syria military actions Updated: Apr-14-16 9:12 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - President Barack Obama's national security adviser says the U.S. now talks "almost daily" with Russia to ensure its military operations in Syria don't clash.
- The Latest: Putin: Russia considers trade for Ukraine pilot Updated: Apr-14-16 9:57 am
MOSCOW - The Latest on Russian President Vladimir Putin's marathon call-in TV show (all times local):
- Report: 4 Iranian commandos killed in Syria Updated: Apr-11-16 1:47 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency is reporting that four members of the Iranian Special Forces were killed in Syria while fighting against the Islamic State group.
- US says Iran forces pulling back in Syria; others say no Updated: Apr-04-16 5:09 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is making the case that Iran is drawing down its elite fighting force from Syria in an effort to allay fears that Tehran is using its powerful Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in Syria to strengthen its influence across the Middle East. Yet the Iranian government said Monday it has dispatched commandos to the war and it is still taking high-ranking casualties.
- Syria's Palmyra: Ghost town bearing scars of IS destruction Updated: Apr-01-16 2:38 pm
PALMYRA, Syria - Explosions rocked the ancient town of Palmyra on Friday and on the horizon, black smoke wafted behind its majestic Roman ruins, as Syrian army experts carefully detonated hundreds of mines they say were planted by Islamic State militants before they fled the town.
- Russian sappers with robots to clear mines in Palmyra Updated: Mar-31-16 10:36 am
MOSCOW - Russian combat engineers arrived Thursday in Syria on a mission to clear mines in the ancient town of Palmyra, which has been recaptured from Islamic State militants in an offensive that has proven Russia's military might in Syria despite a drawdown of its warplanes.