- Amnesty accuses Israel of possible war crimes Updated: Jul-29-15 10:31 am
JERUSALEM - A leading international watchdog said Wednesday that the Israeli military may have committed war crimes and crimes against humanity during last summer's Gaza war when it carried out four days of intense bombardment in retaliation for an attack by Hamas militants in which an Israeli soldier was captured.
- Jordan court sentences 12 in alleged Hamas plot Updated: Jul-28-15 1:26 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - A government official says Jordan's state security court sentenced 12 defendants to prison terms ranging from one to 15 years in what local media described as a plot by the Islamic militant Hamas group to carry out attacks in the West Bank.
- After delays, construction begins on destroyed homes in Gaza Updated: Jul-23-15 2:45 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Undeterred by scorching heat, Palestinian workers in Gaza on Thursday hammered nails into wooden boards and jolted steel bars as they lay the foundations for the first group of homes to be rebuilt since the war with Israel last summer. The work brought a rare glimmer of hope to a territory that remains devastated a year after the fighting.
- Saudi official downplays significance of recent Hamas visit Updated: Jul-23-15 10:23 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia's top diplomat says a recent visit by the leader of Hamas was for religious purposes and was not an official political visit to the kingdom.
- UN approves accreditation for Palestinian Return Center Updated: Jul-20-15 11:46 pm
- US Pentagon chief tries to assure Israel after Iran deal Updated: Jul-20-15 3:22 pm
HUSSEIN LOOKOUT, Israel - On a hilltop lookout near Israel's border with Lebanon, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter offered personal assurances Monday that the U.S. will help Israel counter Iranian support for the militant group Hezbollah. He called it one example of how the U.S. can support the Jewish state in the aftermath of the Iran nuclear deal.
- Gaza bombings target cars of Hamas officials; no fatalities Updated: Jul-19-15 2:10 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - At least four bombings rocked Gaza City early Sunday, targeting cars belonging to officials from Islamic factions, including the territory's Hamas rulers. There were no fatalities from the blasts.
- Netanyahu, British FM spar over Iran deal disagreements Updated: Jul-16-15 1:59 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel's prime minister and the British foreign secretary publicly sparred over the nuclear deal with Iran on Thursday, veering off prepared comments to exchange sharply different positions toward the agreement.
- Lion cubs en route to Jordan sanctuary check into Gaza hotel Updated: Jul-03-15 2:28 pm
RAFAH, Gaza Strip - Gaza's militant Hamas rulers on Friday allowed a pair of lion cubs en route to a wildlife sanctuary in Jordan back into the Palestinian coastal strip after the animals and their entourage had been stuck for several hours on no-man's land at a Gaza-Israel border crossing.
- Palestinian Authority arrests 100 Hamas members in West Bank Updated: Jul-03-15 4:16 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinian Authority forces arrested over 100 Hamas members in the West Bank who were planning on carrying out attacks, a Palestinian official said, in the biggest raid of its kind in years.
- A year after Gaza war, southern Israel slowly recovers Updated: Jul-03-15 3:50 am
NIRIM, Israel - On the last day of last summer's Israel-Hamas war, Gadi Yarkoni and two of his closest friends were fixing an electricity line next to the cowshed in their kibbutz in southern Israel that had been damaged by rocket fire from neighboring Gaza.