- Faceoffs can provide a big lift in the NHL playoffs Updated: May-01-15 2:11 am
CHICAGO - The Chicago Blackhawks were down by one in the final seconds of the first period when Brad Richards approached the faceoff circle on the right side of Nashville goaltender Pekka Rinne. The veteran center made a small motion to Duncan Keith to move up to his left side, and then got ready for the draw.
- Police: Michigan woman tried to set Lightning flag on fire Updated: Apr-30-15 10:05 am
- Red Wings disagree with Kronwall suspension Updated: Apr-29-15 4:46 pm
- Mayor expresses support for sports arena in Seattle suburb Updated: Apr-28-15 8:38 pm
TUKWILA, Washington - The mayor of the Seattle suburb of Tukwila has sent letters to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and NBA Commissioner Adam Silver expressing his support for a proposed new multipurpose arena that could house franchises for both leagues.
- After decades, NFL decides to give up tax-exempt status Updated: Apr-28-15 7:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Every so often, in a bid to sound threatening, a member of Congress has vowed to revoke the NFL's tax-exempt status. Now Commissioner Roger Goodell says the league will give it up voluntarily to "eliminate this distraction."
- New York Islanders are Brooklyn-bound following Game 7 loss Updated: Apr-28-15 4:59 pm
It's time for the New York Islanders to lower the Hall of Fame and Stanley Cup banners from the rafters, and pack up their pucks and sticks.
- Hall of Famer Marcel Pronovost dies at age 84 Updated: Apr-27-15 6:14 pm
WINDSOR, Ontario - Hall of Famer Marcel Pronovost, who spent 15 years with the Detroit Red Wings before capping his playing career with a five-year run in Toronto, has died. He was 84.
- Predators captain dislocated his right kneecap in playoffs Updated: Apr-27-15 5:56 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Predators captain Shea Weber is recovering from surgery to repair a dislocated right kneecap, an injury that will take up to six weeks for a full recovery.
- NHL commish doesn't think 'Katy Perry' chants are sexist Updated: Apr-24-15 4:07 pm
NEW YORK - So long as fans keep their chants clean, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has no issue with Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry being compared to pop star Katy Perry.
- Dismal season takes toll on Maple Leafs' brand Updated: Apr-24-15 1:59 pm
TORONTO - The blue-chip Toronto Maple Leafs brand survived bad seasons in the past. But this season took its toll.
- Hal Gill, a 6-foot-7 defenseman, retires after 16 seasons Updated: Apr-23-15 5:03 pm
TORONTO - Hal Gill, a 6-foot-7 defenseman who spent 16 seasons in the NHL and won a Stanley Cup with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2009, retired Thursday at age 40.
- Daily fantasy site has deals with almost half of NFL teams Updated: Apr-22-15 6:38 pm
NEW YORK - Nearly half of the teams in the NFL have signed sponsorship deals with FanDuel, the daily fantasy sports website.
- Jets face elimination down 3-0 in series against Ducks Updated: Apr-21-15 9:18 pm
WINNIPEG, Manitoba - For teams in the NHL playoffs, the clinching fourth win is often the hardest one to get in a series.
- AP Interview: WADA exec disappointed by no Armstrong apology Updated: Apr-21-15 7:05 pm
NEW YORK - The director general of the World Anti-Doping Agency is disappointed Lance Armstrong has not apologized for costly and time-consuming lawsuits before the former cycling champion admitted using performance-enhancing drugs.
- Bettman: Jets return could be example for Vegas Updated: Apr-20-15 9:23 pm
WINNIPEG, Manitoba - What the True North ownership group has done since getting the Winnipeg Jets from Atlanta could be an example for Las Vegas if the group led by Bill Foley is awarded an expansion franchise.
- Oilers win NHL draft lottery and chance to select McDavid Updated: Apr-18-15 10:08 pm
The Edmonton Oilers won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
- Calgary coach Bob Hartley fined $50,000 by the NHL Updated: Apr-18-15 5:38 pm
NEW YORK - Calgary coach Bob Hartley was fined $50,000 by the NHL on Saturday for his responsibility for a brawl late in the Flames' 4-1 loss in Vancouver on Friday night.
- 1st German goalie to start NHL playoff game helps Capitals Updated: Apr-18-15 12:50 am
- Stars sign defenseman Klingberg to 7-year extension Updated: Apr-17-15 2:56 pm
FRISCO, Texas - The Dallas Stars have signed John Klingberg to a seven-year contract extension after he led NHL rookie defensemen in assists and points this season.
- Blackhawks' Kane expected to return for Game 1 vs. Preds Updated: Apr-14-15 3:11 pm
CHICAGO - Blackhawks star forward Patrick Kane is expected to be in the lineup for Game 1 of Chicago's opening-round playoff series against the Nashville Predators on Wednesday night.
- Coyotes' struggles lead to roster overhaul Updated: Apr-13-15 6:00 pm
GLENDALE, Arizona - The Arizona Coyotes knew there would be little margin for error with the roster they carried into the 2014-15 season.
- Stars can score, so focus is defense after missing playoffs Updated: Apr-13-15 5:45 pm
FRISCO, Texas - Jamie Benn won the NHL scoring title despite playing most of the season with bad hips that will require surgery. Tyler Seguin might have taken the honor if not for a knee injury.
- Even without playoffs, Blue Jackets encouraged by season Updated: Apr-13-15 3:09 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Even though they were all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs weeks before the season ended, the Columbus Blue Jackets didn't tank at the finish.
- UND's MacMillan signs contract with NHL's Montreal Canadiens Updated: Apr-13-15 8:47 am
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - University of North Dakota senior hockey forward Mark MacMillan has signed a two-year entry-level contract with the NHL's Montreal Canadiens.
- Sabres hope worst is behind them after finishing last again Updated: Apr-12-15 9:59 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Difficult as it was to go through finishing last for a second consecutive season, forward Tyler Ennis believed the worst might finally be behind Buffalo.