- Illinois News Digest Updated: Feb-12-16 1:06 am
Good morning. Here's a look at how AP's general news coverage is shaping up in Illinois at 12 a.m. Questions about coverage plans are welcome and should be directed to the AP-Chicago bureau at 312-781-0500 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Caryn Rousseau is staffing the desk. AP-Chicago News Editor Hugh Dellios can be reached at 312-920-3624 or email@example.com.
- 2017 NHL draft to be held in Chicago Updated: Feb-11-16 7:04 pm
CHICAGO - The 2017 NHL draft is coming to the United Center. And there is no coach's challenge to take that one away from Chicago.
- Illinois News Digest Updated: Feb-11-16 7:04 pm
Good afternoon. Here's a look at how AP's general news coverage is shaping up in Illinois at 6 p.m. Questions about coverage plans are welcome and should be directed to the AP-Chicago bureau at 312-781-0500 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Herbert McCann is staffing the desk. AP-Chicago News Editor Hugh Dellios can be reached at 312-920-3624 or email@example.com.
- Maple Leafs' Kadri fined $5,000 for throat-slashing gesture Updated: Feb-11-16 12:06 pm
- Grin and bear it: NHL players say losing teeth part of game Updated: Feb-10-16 10:28 am
When Brent Burns packs his bags for road trips, the San Jose Sharks defenseman often leaves something behind: his cosmetic teeth.
- Grin and bear it: NHL players say losing teeth part of game Updated: Feb-10-16 8:23 am
When Brent Burns packs his bags for road trips, the San Jose Sharks defenseman often leaves something behind: His cosmetic teeth.
- Martin Brodeur has No. 30 jersey retired by Devils Updated: Feb-09-16 9:55 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Martin Brodeur tried to start his thank you speech only to be drowned out by the roaring crowd.
- TCF Bank Stadium hockey transformation begins Updated: Feb-09-16 8:06 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The transformation of TCF Bank Stadium into a temporary hockey arena has begun on the University of Minnesota campus.
- Jets F Stafford suspended for 1 game for high-sticking Updated: Feb-08-16 11:26 pm
NEW YORK - Winnipeg forward Drew Stafford has been suspended by the NHL for one game for high-sticking Colorado defenseman Nick Holden in the second period of the Jets' 4-2 win on Saturday.
- Jets sign Byfuglien to $38 million, five-year extension Updated: Feb-08-16 5:43 pm
ST. LOUIS - Big Buff is off the NHL free-agent market.
- NHL-leading Capitals aim to end troubling power-play drought Updated: Feb-08-16 3:27 pm
WASHINGTON - The Capitals are winners of three in a row and sitting pretty atop the NHL, so not much seems to be going wrong for Washington. They do however have one glaring problem - power-play goals - and it is something coach Barry Trotz hopes to fix sooner rather than later.
- Oshie, Ovechkin convert in shootout; Capitals top Devils 3-2 Updated: Feb-06-16 5:43 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A day after being called up from the minor leagues, Paul Carey got the Washington Capitals to overtime with his first NHL goal.
- Parenteau's shootout goal gives Leafs 3-2 win over Devils Updated: Feb-05-16 12:08 am
TORONTO - Moments after his 1,000th NHL game - and 546th win - Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock laid out his long-range blueprint.
- NHL suspends Wideman 20 games for abuse of official Updated: Feb-04-16 2:43 am
NEW YORK - The NHL barred Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman 20 games on Wednesday for cross-checking a linesman last week, the second-longest suspension in NHL history for abusing an official.
- Crawford helps Blackhawks to 2-1 win over Avalanche Updated: Feb-03-16 12:41 am
DENVER - Richard Panik did his best Jonathan Toews imitation, scoring a goal and even playing on the top line at times.
- Berube, Nelson lead Islanders to 5-3 win over Wild Updated: Feb-02-16 11:44 pm
NEW YORK - Mobbed at center ice after his first NHL win, Jean-Francois Berube was understandably all smiles after the game. So were his teammates.
- NHL resets 3 games called off because of East Coast storm Updated: Feb-02-16 4:42 pm
NEW YORK - The NHL has rescheduled three games that were postponed because of the recent snowstorm on the East Coast.
- Nashville puts on good show for NHL All-Star weekend Updated: Feb-01-16 8:14 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Music City waited 18 years to host the NHL All-Star game.
- Despite best start, Rangers in fight for playoffs at break Updated: Jan-28-16 3:20 pm
NEW YORK - Despite the best start in franchise history, the New York Rangers are in a fight to make the playoffs heading into the NHL All-Star break.
- Kuznetsov, Neal replace Ovechkin, Toews as NHL All-Stars Updated: Jan-28-16 10:29 am
- Capitals' Ovechkin to miss NHL All-Star Game with injury Updated: Jan-28-16 4:34 am
WASHINGTON - A lingering lower-body injury knocked one of the NHL's biggest stars out of All-Star weekend.
- You Can Play calls on NHL players, fans to fight homophobia Updated: Jan-28-16 2:52 am
PHILADELPHIA - Nellie Fitzpatrick raised the Philadelphia Flyers jersey presented to her as the team's "community teammate" of the night, turned her head to her left and smooched her wife right on the lips.
- At 19, Ekblad heading to his second All-Star Game Updated: Jan-28-16 2:47 am
SUNRISE, Florida - Aaron Ekblad bought a PlayStation 4 console a few months ago, hardly an uncommon purchase for a 19-year-old.
- Decisions at top of 2013 draft still affecting NHL Updated: Jan-27-16 3:52 pm
The second-guessing came immediately after the Colorado Avalanche picked center Nathan MacKinnon first and the Florida Panthers selected center Aleksander Barkov second in the 2013 draft. Blue-chip defenseman Seth Jones was considered the top prospect by many scouts, and winger Jonathan Drouin was coming off a 100-point season in juniors.
- Ryan O'Reilly making All-Star impact in 1st year in Buffalo Updated: Jan-27-16 1:50 pm
BUFFALO, New York - It's a half hour after practice, and not all of the Buffalo Sabres are off the ice. When coach Dan Bylsma's formal session ends, forward Ryan O'Reilly takes over by working a handful of teammates through a series of drills.