- After modest cap increase, some NHL vets turn to pro tryouts Updated: Oct-06-15 2:06 am
ENGLEWOOD, Colorado - The locker stall belonging to Curtis Glencross was completely cleared out except for two Colorado Avalanche travel bags hanging on hooks.
- Canadiens F Zack Kassian enters rehab program Updated: Oct-05-15 7:38 pm
BROSSARD, Quebec - Montreal Canadiens forward Zack Kassian has entered a substance abuse program after being involved in a motor vehicle accident.
- Sharks forward Raffi Torres suspended for 41 games for hit Updated: Oct-05-15 7:33 pm
SAN JOSE, California - San Jose Sharks forward Raffi Torres was hit with the longest suspension in NHL history for a hit on another player when the league banned him Monday for the first 41 games of the season for an illegal check to the head of Anaheim's Jakob Silfverberg.
- Jagr, Panthers hoping this is Florida's breakout year Updated: Oct-05-15 3:56 pm
SUNRISE, Florida - It was the final morning pregame skate of the Florida Panthers' 2014-15 season, and Jaromir Jagr was in constant motion.
- NHL teams waiving players with big contracts Updated: Oct-05-15 3:13 pm
NHL teams are putting big-money players on waivers.
- Ex-Canadiens defenseman Mike Weaver retires at 37 Updated: Oct-05-15 12:47 pm
TORONTO - Defenseman Mike Weaver has retired at 37 after an 11-year career in the NHL in which he played the last two seasons with the Montreal Canadiens.
- NHL 2015-16: Sabres coming off summer of radical changes Updated: Oct-03-15 3:21 am
Buffalo Sabres general manager Tim Murray jokes he could have secured his long-term job security by selling owner Terry Pegula on a five-year plan to rebuild the team solely through the draft.
- Red Wings beat Maple Leafs 4-2 in Babcock's return Updated: Oct-03-15 12:25 am
Henrik Zetterberg broke a tie at 3:57 of the third period and the Detroit Red Wings went on to a 4-2 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs in an exhibition game Friday night, spoiling Mike Babcock's return to Detroit.
- Season approaches, grind looming for NHL's goaltenders Updated: Oct-02-15 1:10 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The speculation started even before the Nashville Predators lost in the Western Conference quarterfinals last season, that goaltender Pekka Rinne was working a bit too much during the regular season and he was going to be worn out for the games that matter most.
- Bruins owner Jacobs talks pros, cons of NHL expansion Updated: Oct-01-15 3:06 pm
BOSTON - Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs says both groups hoping to land an NHL expansion team made impressive presentations at the recent league meetings.
- Sens sign defenseman Fraser to a 1-year, 2-way contract Updated: Sep-28-15 6:25 pm
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators have signed defenseman Mark Fraser to a one-year, two-way contract.
- Las Vegas, Quebec City set to take step in NHL expansion bid Updated: Sep-28-15 3:12 pm
Las Vegas and Quebec City are moving closer in their bids to land a NHL franchise.
- Maple Leafs banking on $50M investment in coach Mike Babcock Updated: Sep-25-15 10:33 am
TORONTO - Mike Babcock slid a yellow legal pad to the right side of the desk in his modest, windowless office, put his head down and wrote down a phrase he had just heard without saying a word.
- Montreal women's hockey team now Canadiennes Updated: Sep-24-15 7:59 pm
MONTREAL - Montreal's women's hockey team is now the Canadiennes.
- Tortorella puts NHL career on hold to coach Team USA Updated: Sep-22-15 7:16 pm
John Tortorella's decision to return to coaching is separate from his desire to one day land another NHL job following a year's absence.
- Pitfalls for foreign players in Russia-based KHL Updated: Sep-22-15 3:21 pm
MOSCOW - Canadian goaltender Mark Dekanich wanted "to see the world" while playing in the Russia-based Kontinental Hockey League, but now he's cooling his heels back home in Vancouver as he waits for unpaid wages.
- New players, system highlight Bruins' first day of camp Updated: Sep-18-15 5:42 pm
BOSTON - The Boston Bruins missed the Stanley Cup playoffs last season for the first time in eight years largely because of their inability to score - they ranked 22nd in the NHL with 2.55 goals per game.
- Injured Sabres defenseman Ristolainen out up to 2 weeks Updated: Sep-18-15 4:45 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Buffalo Sabres defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen will miss up to the first two weeks of training camp because of an upper body injury.
- Panthers open camp with much competition, few available jobs Updated: Sep-18-15 2:26 pm
CORAL SPRINGS, Florida - In general manager Dale Tallon's start-of-training-camp remarks to the Florida Panthers, he reminded them that 51 players were vying for 23 jobs on the roster.
- Predators open training camp eager to build on last season Updated: Sep-17-15 5:21 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Nashville Predators have spent this summer thinking of what might have happened after losing their first-round playoff series to the eventual Stanley Cup champs, the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Former Flyers All-Star Simon Gagne retires from NHL Updated: Sep-15-15 1:59 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Former Philadelphia Flyers left wing Simon Gagne retired on Tuesday after a 14-year career in the NHL.
- NHL players set for World Cup of Hockey; Olympics unclear Updated: Sep-09-15 9:48 pm
TORONTO - The World Cup of Hockey is coming back, and NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman insists that doesn't necessarily mean the league will skip the 2018 Olympics.