- Israeli general touches raw nerve with Holocaust comments Updated: May-05-16 2:50 pm
JERUSALEM - In a reflection of the deep divisions plaguing Israel, a top general set off a controversy Thursday after appearing to liken the atmosphere in Israel to that of Nazi-era Germany during a speech marking the country's Holocaust memorial day.
- Israel discovers new cross-border tunnel from Gaza Strip Updated: May-05-16 1:47 pm
JERUSALEM - The Israeli military said it uncovered a new tunnel Thursday stretching from southern Gaza Strip into Israel and built by Palestinian militants seeking to stage attacks in Israel, a discovery that comes amid an escalation in violence between Israel and Gaza's militant Hamas rulers.
- Israel treads carefully with claim to Golan Updated: Apr-28-16 5:06 pm
JERUSALEM - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has sparked a new diplomatic brushfire by declaring that the Golan Heights, seized from Syria in the 1967 Mideast war, is and should remain "under Israel's sovereignty permanently."
- UNESCO resolution on Jerusalem stirs Israeli anger Updated: Apr-21-16 12:52 pm
PARIS - The Israeli government and Jewish groups have expressed outrage at a resolution adopted by the U.N. cultural agency that put the Western Wall Plaza in quotation marks, described Jewish sites as "so-called" and even claimed that some Jewish graves were bogus.
- Future of Palestinian town bleak after Israel shuts quarries Updated: Apr-21-16 11:57 am
BEIT FAJAR, West Bank - The future of the Palestinian town of Beit Fajar looks bleak after Israel's military forced the shutdown of some three dozen quarries in the area, endangering 3,500 jobs and paralyzing the dominant local industry.
- Israeli general warns of 'devastating war' with Hezbollah Updated: Apr-20-16 3:53 pm
JERUSALEM - A top Israeli military leader on Wednesday issued a stern warning to the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah, saying any future war between the two enemies will unleash "devastating" damage on Lebanon.
- Reynolds meets prime minister of Israel during overseas trip Updated: Apr-20-16 11:31 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds says she met with the prime minister of Israel during a recent trade mission to the country.
- Islamic group condemns Israeli premier's remarks on Golan Updated: Apr-20-16 10:10 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - The Organization of Islamic Cooperation has condemned comments by Israel's prime minister that the Golan Heights "will forever remain in Israeli hands."
- Biden: 'Overwhelming frustration' with Israeli gov't Updated: Apr-18-16 11:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden acknowledged "overwhelming frustration" with Israel's government on Monday and said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's administration has led Israel in the wrong direction, in an unusually sharp rebuke of America's closest ally in the Middle East.
- Jordan halts plan to install cameras at Jerusalem holy site Updated: Apr-18-16 6:27 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan's prime minister on Monday said his government has decided to call off a plan to install surveillance cameras at Jerusalem's most sensitive holy site, derailing a U.S.-brokered pact to ease tensions at the volatile hilltop compound.
- Israeli military dismisses transgender soldier Updated: Apr-14-16 10:34 am
JERUSALEM - The Israeli military says it has dismissed a transgender teenager who objected to joining the army on ideological grounds.
- Palestinian prime minister urges donors to rebuild Gaza Updated: Apr-13-16 10:55 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - The Palestinian prime minister has urged international donor countries to "make good on their pledges" to help rebuild the war-battered Gaza Strip.
- Shooting probe puts Israel's military courts in spotlight Updated: Apr-13-16 1:49 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's military justice system is in the spotlight as it investigates a soldier caught on tape shooting to death a subdued Palestinian attacker, a case that has polarized the nation.
- Israel: Saudi guarantees freedom of passage in Tiran Straits Updated: Apr-12-16 11:22 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's defense minister says Saudi Arabia has given Israel written assurances the kingdom will guarantee Israel freedom of passage in the Tiran Straits.