- Cantwell calls for support for Hanford Updated: Feb-11-16 11:06 am
KENNEWICK, Washington - Democratic Sen. Maria Cantwell of Washington is worried about an Obama administration proposal to reduce the budget for the Hanford Nuclear Reservation.
- Pierce County residents petition against federal project Updated: Feb-09-16 9:33 am
RUGBY, North Dakota - Pierce County residents who fear a proposed federal project might be a step toward nuclear waste disposal in the area are circulating a petition aimed at showing their concern.
- Bids sought for energy department waste trucking contracts Updated: Feb-06-16 3:51 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The U.S. Department of Energy is taking bids to replace two waste trucking contracts that are now worth half their original estimated value of $239.5 million in 2012.
- US Sen. Markey faults feds on natural gas export decision Updated: Feb-06-16 12:01 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Edward Markey says a decision by the federal Department of Energy to allow the export of nearly a billion cubic feet a day of natural gas out of New England is misguided.
- Idaho contract given to Texas-based Fluor Corp. Updated: Feb-05-16 9:49 am
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - A Texas-based company has been awarded a five-year nuclear cleanup contract for a U.S. Department of Energy site in the Idaho desert.
- Ex-Sen. Lugar says MOX facility vital to nuke agreement Updated: Feb-04-16 3:33 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Finishing a South Carolina plutonium reprocessing project is critical to keeping up the U.S. end of a critical nonproliferation deal with Russia, one of the federal lawmakers instrumental in the agreement said Thursday after touring the facility that's still under construction.
- Measure supports storing spent nuclear fuel in New Mexico Updated: Feb-04-16 2:08 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico lawmakers are considering a pair of nonbinding measures that would signal support for the development of a temporary storage facility to house spent nuclear fuel that has been piling up at reactors around the nation.
- NFL and law enforcement: No credible threat to Super Bowl 50 Updated: Feb-03-16 8:51 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - NFL security leaders and top law enforcement officials say there is "no credible threat" to Super Bowl 50.
- Federal, state, local officials beef up Super Bowl security Updated: Feb-02-16 6:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - From ticket scalpers to terrorism, football's biggest game always presents challenges large and small for law enforcement officials.
- Gov. Haley asks SC prosecutor to sue feds over MOX project Updated: Jan-26-16 6:33 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley on Tuesday moved forward with her threat to sue the U.S. Department of Energy for the agency's failure to meet a Jan. 1 nuclear fuel deadline, asking South Carolina's top prosecutor to pursue litigation and collection of $1 million daily fine.
- US, New Mexico ink settlements over nuclear radiation leak Updated: Jan-22-16 2:58 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico and the U.S. Department of Energy inked $74 million in settlements over dozens of permit violations stemming from a radiation leak that forced the closure of the nation's only underground nuclear waste repository.
- Hanford employee positive for radioactive contamination Updated: Jan-22-16 1:31 pm
RICHLAND, Washington - An employee at the Hanford Fire Station has tested positive for a very low level of internal radioactive contamination after handling breathing equipment used at the nuclear reservation's Plutonium Finishing Plant.
- Plan calls for operations to resume at nuke dump in 2016 Updated: Jan-21-16 2:51 pm
CARLSBAD, New Mexico - Some operations at the federal government's troubled nuclear waste repository in southern New Mexico could resume by the end of 2016 under a plan approved by U.S. Energy Department officials.