- Two decades after 'Black Hawk Down,' Kerry visits Somalia Updated: May-05-15 1:08 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Two decades after dead American soldiers were dragged through the streets of Mogadishu, John Kerry on Tuesday became the first secretary of state to set foot in Somalia, a symbolic visit to show support for the African nation's fledgling government and the United States' readiness to move past a dark chapter in its history.
- Coca production in Colombia jumped 39 pct in 2014 Updated: May-04-15 11:32 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Cultivation of the leaf used to make cocaine skyrocketed last year in Colombia, according to a new White House report that's likely to pressure authorities here to preserve a threatened U.S. aerial eradication program at the heart of the drug war.
- GOP field grows: Longshots Fiorina, Carson launch their bids Updated: May-04-15 4:42 pm
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson joined the rapidly expanding 2016 Republican presidential class on Monday, casting themselves as political outsiders in underdog campaigns, eager to challenge the elite of both parties.
- In China, Taiwan party leader calls for more global access Updated: May-04-15 1:40 pm
BEIJING - The head of Taiwan's ruling Nationalist Party called for more chances for the island to participate in international organizations after a meeting Monday with Chinese President Xi Jinping, whose government views the territory as a renegade province.
- Ex-CIA official: GOP distorted agency analysis of Benghazi Updated: May-04-15 12:04 pm
WASHINGTON - A former CIA deputy director says Republicans repeatedly distorted the agency's analysis of the Benghazi attack in 2012 that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans. He also says U.S. intelligence agencies failed to recognize that al-Qaida would rapidly regain strength after the killing of Osama bin Laden.
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina enters presidential race Updated: May-04-15 7:37 am
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina says she is running for president.
- Clinton to focus on immigration during Las Vegas stop Updated: May-03-15 10:10 pm
LAS VEGAS - Hillary Rodham Clinton will focus on immigration when she makes a campaign stop Tuesday in Las Vegas.
- Boehner: Clinton needs to bring Democrats along on trade Updated: May-03-15 9:05 am
- Nevada Legislature Week 14: Clinton visit and more tax talk Updated: May-02-15 8:43 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The pressure of passing a tax package to fund Gov. Brian Sandoval's two-year budget will continue to mount in Week 14 of the Nevada Legislature.
- AP-GfK Poll: Favorable views of Clinton top her GOP rivals Updated: May-02-15 3:17 am
WASHINGTON - Americans are more likely to have a favorable view of Hillary Rodham Clinton than any of her potential Republican rivals in 2016's race for the presidency, even though few see the former secretary of state as honest, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.
- US envoy deflects insult by Turkish mayor with humor Updated: May-01-15 8:15 am
ISTANBUL - The U.S. ambassador to Turkey is fighting back with humor after Ankara's mayor called a U.S. state department spokeswoman a "stupid blonde."
- California hiker among 4 Americans dead on Mount Everest Updated: Apr-28-15 6:16 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Vinh Truong was the type of man who meticulously planned everything he did. Whether it be a meal out in San Francisco, a ski trip to Lake Tahoe or the adventure of a lifetime - a two-week hiking trip to the Himalayas to climb Mount Everest.
- Trade deal poses dilemma for Clinton in Democratic primary Updated: Apr-28-15 11:05 am
WASHINGTON - On a trip to Australia in 2012, Hillary Rodham Clinton lavished praise on the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership, calling it the "gold standard" in efforts to create open and fair trade.
- Clinton Foundation acknowledges mistakes in revealing donors Updated: Apr-27-15 3:31 am
WASHINGTON - The acting chief executive of the Clinton Foundation says the global philanthropy is working quickly to remedy mistakes it made in how it disclosed donors, saying that its policies on transparency and contributions from foreign governments are "stronger than ever."
- The Latest on GOP's 2016 hopefuls: Iowans see a bumper crop Updated: Apr-25-15 10:48 pm
9 p.m. CDT (10 p.m. EDT)
- Deaths raise questions about ways to aid abducted Americans Updated: Apr-25-15 3:16 am
WASHINGTON - The accidental killing of two hostages in a U.S. operation against al-Qaida has put a new spotlight on the Obama administration's reliance on drones in the battle against terrorism - and has also raised pressure on the White House to revise the nation's oft-criticized strategy for dealing with abducted Americans and their families.
- Pennsylvania Sen. Bob Casey to endorse Hillary Clinton Updated: Apr-23-15 8:04 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania Sen. Bob Casey is preparing to publicly endorse Hillary Rodham Clinton for president.
- NATO: Big military build-up on Russia-Ukraine border Updated: Apr-23-15 3:01 pm
BRUSSELS - NATO's chief on Thursday reported a sizeable Russian military buildup on the border with Ukraine that he said would enable pro-Moscow separatists to launch a new offensive with little warning.
- Officials: Ex-Pentagon spokesman to move to State Department Updated: Apr-22-15 2:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Former Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby will retire from the military and move to the State Department to be that agency's new public face, U.S. officials said Wednesday.
- US lets in Thai fish caught by slaves despite law Updated: Apr-22-15 12:54 am
WASHINGTON - In its first report on trafficking around the world, the U.S. criticized Thailand as a hub for labor abuse. Yet 14 years later, seafood caught by slaves on Thai boats is still slipping into the supply chains of major American stores and supermarkets.
- US puts 2 Greek far-left militants on terror blacklist Updated: Apr-21-15 3:54 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration placed two Greek far-left militants on a terrorism blacklist Tuesday amid concerns that a third could soon be released from prison to serve the remainder of his sentence under house arrest.
- Poles wait for FBI chief to apologize over Holocaust remarks Updated: Apr-20-15 8:56 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Obama did it, now the FBI director has done it, and each time it has caused huge offense to a U.S. ally: using language to suggest that Poles were accomplices in the Holocaust.
- New England editorial roundup Updated: Apr-18-15 8:06 am
The Hartford (Conn.) Courant, April 15, 2015
- Here's how Hillary Clinton plans to win Nevada Updated: Apr-16-15 9:03 pm
LAS VEGAS - For Hillary Rodham Clinton, what happens in Las Vegas will reverberate across the nation, according to the Las Vegas Sun (http://bit.ly/1NTvwLE).
- Gov. Raimondo supporting Clinton for president in 2016 Updated: Apr-16-15 6:34 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island's first female governor says it's time for the nation to have its first female president.