- More Tenn. lawmakers come out against gas tax hike in 2016 Updated: Sep-01-15 5:00 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Add the chairman of the state Senate transportation committee to the list of opponents of raising Tennessee's gas tax in 2016.
- Tennessee Supreme Court won't hear judge Joe Brown's appeal Updated: Aug-25-15 1:40 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Supreme Court is refusing to hear an appeal from former TV judge Joe Brown over a jail sentence for contempt of court.
- Tenn. GOP senators call for 'emergency rules' on abortion Updated: Aug-24-15 5:10 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Five Republican state senators are calling on Gov. Bill Haslam to enact "emergency rules" for abortion providers in Tennessee.
- Haslam: No discussion with AG about Supreme Court vacancy Updated: Aug-21-15 11:52 am
MURFREESBORO, Tennessee - As observers wait to see whether Attorney General Herbert Slatery has any interest in filling an upcoming vacancy on the Tennessee Supreme Court, Gov. Bill Haslam said he hasn't had any discussion about it with his close friend and former top legal adviser.
- Tenn. Highway Patrol creates new protective services bureau Updated: Aug-18-15 4:13 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Highway Patrol is creating a new protective services bureau responsible for the safety of citizens, elected officials, state workers and state buildings.
- House, Senate speakers at odds over gas tax increase in 2016 Updated: Aug-13-15 4:28 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - While Gov. Bill Haslam is traveling the state seeking to draw attention to transportation funding needs facing Tennessee, top legislative Republicans are at odds about whether to even consider a gas tax hike in 2016.
- Governor reassures Republicans fetal tissue sales illegal Updated: Aug-13-15 4:12 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam said Thursday that questions from fellow Republicans prompted a letter assuring them that fetal tissue sales are illegal in Tennessee and explaining the state's dealings with Planned Parenthood.
- Correction: House-Special Election story Updated: Aug-13-15 11:26 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - In a story Aug. 12 about a special election for a House seat in Knox County, The Associated Press reported erroneously the impact of Karen Carson's defeat on the governor's proposal to extend health coverage to low-income residents. Her defeat means Republicans facing re-election are less likely to support the plan, not likely to support it.
- Tennessee recording fewer traffic deaths so far this year Updated: Aug-12-15 1:01 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Highway Patrol says fewer traffic-related deaths are being reported on roadways so far this year.
- Website of Tennessee Legislature wins Online Democracy Award Updated: Aug-07-15 4:16 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee General Assembly's website has won the 2015 Online Democracy Award from the National Conference of State Legislatures.
- Adjutant general: Guard members may carry handguns Updated: Aug-06-15 3:48 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Military Department has decided to allow Army and Air National Guard members who have valid handgun carry permits to carry the weapons at armories and Guard facilities.
- Former lawmaker, sons indicted in $18 million fraud scheme Updated: Aug-06-15 4:06 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - A former Tennessee legislator and his two sons have been charged in a federal indictment with defrauding customers of their gold and silver business of more than $18 million.
- Tennessee editorial roundup Updated: Aug-05-15 12:25 pm
Recent editorials from Tennessee newspapers: