- EU chief Juncker calls Hungary's Orban 'dictator' - in jest Updated: May-22-15 1:20 pm
- UN says Hungarian questionnaire risks spreading xenophobia Updated: May-22-15 10:18 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The United Nations human rights watchdog said Friday it was "shocked" by a Hungarian government questionnaire which links migration with terrorism, fearing it could bolster anti-immigration sentiments.
- Hungary rejects EU quota plan for Mediterranean immigrants Updated: May-14-15 11:19 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The Hungarian government has reiterated its "firm opposition" to a plan by the European Union to require countries to share the burden of immigrants who are arriving in Europe by crossing the Mediterranean Sea.
- UN's refugee agency worried about xenophobia in Hungary Updated: May-08-15 3:43 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The United Nations refugee agency said Friday it was worried about "growing expressions of xenophobia in Hungary" and about government efforts to portray refugees as a threat to the country.
- Hungary says no plans to restore death penalty Updated: Apr-30-15 12:04 pm
BRUSSELS - The Hungarian government said Thursday it has no plans to restore the death penalty after European Union leaders warned that Prime Minister Viktor Orban would be in for "a fight" if he considered sidestepping a cornerstone of the EU's fundamental rights.