- Capitals' Orpik has hearing for late hit to Maatta' head Updated: May-01-16 12:03 pm
WASHINGTON - Washington Capitals defenseman Brooks Orpik has a hearing Sunday with the NHL's department of player safety for his late hit to the head of Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Olli Maatta in Game 2 of their second-round playoff series.
- Down a man after Orpik hit, Pens top Caps 2-1; series 1-all Updated: May-01-16 12:36 am
WASHINGTON - Already down a game in their second-round playoff series, Kris Letang and the Pittsburgh Penguins suddenly were down a man, too, on Saturday night, when Olli Maatta was leveled by a high hit from Washington's Brooks Orpik less than 5 minutes in.
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Updated: Apr-30-16 9:58 pm
Brendan Shanahan went online to try the NHL draft lottery simulator just once, and was excited to see the Toronto Maple Leafs win the first pick.
- Johnson has 2 goals and assist, Lightning beat Islanders 4-1 Updated: Apr-30-16 7:51 pm
TAMPA, Florida - Tyler Johnson continues to have postseason success.
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Updated: Apr-29-16 3:05 pm
BUFFALO, New York - The Buffalo Sabres have re-signed forward Johan Larsson to a one-year contract.
- Caps' Tom Wilson fined $2,400 for knee hit to Pens' Sheary Updated: Apr-29-16 2:51 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - The NHL fined Capitals forward Tom Wilson $2,404 on Friday for his knee-on-knee hit on Pittsburgh's Conor Sheary, sparing him a suspension that could have altered the second-round playoff series against the Penguins.
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Updated: Apr-28-16 4:26 pm
DETROIT - The name of the new home of the Detroit Red Wings is staying in the family.
- Tough guy Colton Orr retires after 9-year NHL career Updated: Apr-28-16 4:03 pm
TORONTO - NHL tough guy Colton Orr has retired after nine years in the league.
- LGBT anti-discrimination employment bill advances in Senate Updated: Apr-28-16 3:48 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Senators advanced a proposal to ban employment discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, moments after an initial vote appeared to stall the measure in committee.
- Metro staying open an hour later for Capitals playoff game Updated: Apr-28-16 9:02 am
- Downtown stadium proposed as part of Detroit MLS bid Updated: Apr-27-16 9:09 pm
DETROIT - Major League Soccer is eyeing the site of a suspended jail project as a possible home for a new soccer team in Detroit, part of a massive downtown development that would be built in the same area where the Tigers, Lions and Red Wings play.
- Islanders have been Tavares' team from day he was drafted Updated: Apr-26-16 10:09 pm
The New York Islanders have been John Tavares' team from the moment he was the No. 1 overall pick seven years ago.
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Updated: Apr-26-16 7:01 pm
NEW YORK - Philadelphia Flyers forward Brayden Schenn has been suspended by the NHL for three games for a high hit on Washington Capitals forward T.J. Oshie.
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Updated: Apr-26-16 4:57 pm
GREENBURGH, New York - Change is coming to the New York Rangers, and it probably will hit the core group that carried the team deep into the Stanley Cup playoffs the past two seasons.
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Updated: Apr-26-16 2:41 pm
SUNRISE, Florida - Willie Mitchell hoisted the Stanley Cup twice, played parts of 15 NHL seasons, even found a way back on the ice after a knee injury kept him out for more than a year.
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Updated: Apr-25-16 4:44 pm
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury skated alongside some of his teammates on Monday, but says he's still dealing with concussion symptoms and is uncertain on when he will return.
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Updated: Apr-25-16 4:42 pm
PITTSBURGH - Phil Kessel speaks in a polite whisper, as if he's worried talking too loudly might inadvertently attract the spotlight and well, he doesn't want that.
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Updated: Apr-25-16 3:42 pm
SUNRISE, Florida - There was a stretch in the regular season where the Florida Panthers seemed like they were getting every break, helping them put together what became a franchise-record 12-game winning streak.
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Updated: Apr-25-16 3:24 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Just as it has in every season since winning it all in 1975, Philadelphia heads home without a Stanley Cup.
- Karmanos gets into mortgage-lending business with startup Updated: Apr-25-16 7:10 am
BIRMINGHAM, Michigan - Businessman and Hockey Hall of Fame member Peter Karmanos is getting into the residential mortgage-lending business with a startup company.
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Updated: Apr-25-16 2:08 am
NEW YORK - The New York Islanders' long playoff drought is over.
- Panthers C Nick Bjugstad out for Game 5 against Islanders Updated: Apr-24-16 6:26 pm
NEW YORK - Florida center Nick Bjugstad is out for Game 6 of the Panthers' first-round series against the New York Islanders on Sunday night after sustaining a head injury in the last game.
- Kings' Vincent Lecavalier to retire after 17-year NHL career Updated: Apr-24-16 4:25 pm
EL SEGUNDO, California - Vincent Lecavalier intends to retire this summer, ending his 17-year NHL career after one last revitalizing season with the Los Angeles Kings.
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Updated: Apr-24-16 4:10 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Early in the third period, a Flyers fan held up a sign directed at Washington that read, "You'll choke."
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Updated: Apr-24-16 3:49 pm
PITTSBURGH - Sidney Crosby danced through the neutral zone, slipped across the New York Rangers' blue line and waited for help. It arrived in the form of a blurring No. 43 black-and-gold jersey, the one worn by a player whose speed and relentlessness propelled him from prospect to unlikely catalyst for a Stanley Cup contender in all of five months.