- Caps' Tom Wilson fined $2,400 for knee hit to Pens' Sheary Updated: Apr-29-16 2:51 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - The NHL fined Capitals forward Tom Wilson $2,404 on Friday for his knee-on-knee hit on Pittsburgh's Conor Sheary, sparing him a suspension that could have altered the second-round playoff series against the Penguins.
- Oshie has hat trick, Capitals beat Penguins 4-3 in overtime Updated: Apr-29-16 12:44 am
WASHINGTON - T.J. Oshie raised his arms in celebration and looked at referee Dan O'Rourke. Oshie was pretty sure he scored in overtime to complete a hat trick and one of the biggest games of his career.
- Metro staying open an hour later for Capitals playoff game Updated: Apr-28-16 9:02 am
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Updated: Apr-26-16 5:23 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Jay Beagle's sharpest memory of the Washington Capitals' 2009 playoff series against the Pittsburgh Penguins was when he tried to run over Brooks Orpik and instead got flattened at center ice.
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Updated: Apr-26-16 4:57 pm
GREENBURGH, New York - Change is coming to the New York Rangers, and it probably will hit the core group that carried the team deep into the Stanley Cup playoffs the past two seasons.
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Updated: Apr-25-16 4:44 pm
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury skated alongside some of his teammates on Monday, but says he's still dealing with concussion symptoms and is uncertain on when he will return.
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Updated: Apr-25-16 4:42 pm
PITTSBURGH - Phil Kessel speaks in a polite whisper, as if he's worried talking too loudly might inadvertently attract the spotlight and well, he doesn't want that.
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Updated: Apr-24-16 4:10 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Early in the third period, a Flyers fan held up a sign directed at Washington that read, "You'll choke."
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Updated: Apr-24-16 3:49 pm
PITTSBURGH - Sidney Crosby danced through the neutral zone, slipped across the New York Rangers' blue line and waited for help. It arrived in the form of a blurring No. 43 black-and-gold jersey, the one worn by a player whose speed and relentlessness propelled him from prospect to unlikely catalyst for a Stanley Cup contender in all of five months.
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Updated: Apr-23-16 7:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Michal Neuvirth, Thomas Greiss and Martin Jones were sitting on the bench as playoff backups a year ago. Jeff Zatkoff and Matt Murray were in the minors.
- Penguins close out Rangers 5 games with 6-3 rout Updated: Apr-23-16 7:56 pm
PITTSBURGH - The end of two springs' worth of playoff angst for the Pittsburgh Penguins came suddenly, crammed into 14 minutes of pure exhilaration, one highlight-reel sequence piled atop another.
- Rangers trying to overcome 3-1 deficit yet again Updated: Apr-22-16 5:40 pm
GREENBURGH, New York - Trailing 3-1 in a series is nothing new for the New York Rangers.
- Malkin stars as Penguins push Rangers to playoff brink Updated: Apr-21-16 11:01 pm
NEW YORK - The Pittsburgh Penguins might have been the NHL's hottest team at the end of the regular season, playing the last month with Evgeni Malkin out of the lineup with an arm injury.
- Rangers captain Ryan McDonagh back in the lineup for Game 3 Updated: Apr-19-16 7:11 pm
- Despite Lundqvist scare, goalies don't want changes to masks Updated: Apr-17-16 11:22 am
ARLINGTON, Virginia - As Henrik Lundqvist kicked his feet in pain, bad thoughts went through his head for 30 seconds. New York Rangers teammate Marc Staal's stick blade went right through his mask and struck the All-Star goaltender in the right eye.
- Lundqvist starts for Rangers, Fleury out again for Penguins Updated: Apr-16-16 3:03 pm
- Lundqvist practices but status for Game 2 uncertain Updated: Apr-15-16 2:39 pm
- Third-string goaltender Zatkoff unlikely hero for Penguins Updated: Apr-14-16 3:37 pm
PITTSBURGH - It would have been easy for Jeff Zatkoff to go through the motions. Nobody would have blamed him really.
- Rangers believes Lundqvist's injury "not serious" Updated: Apr-14-16 1:41 pm
PITTSBURGH - The New York Rangers don't think goaltender Henrik Lundqvist's freak eye injury will keep him out indefinitely. Still, coach Alain Vigneault isn't sure Lundqvist will be ready in time for Game 2 of New York's Eastern Conference quarterfinal series against Pittsburgh on Saturday.
- Rangers recall forward Marek Hrivik from Hartford Updated: Apr-13-16 5:38 pm
PITTSBURGH - The New York Rangers have recalled forward Marek Hrivik from the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League.
- NHL's "Ironmen" ready to carry heavy load in playoffs Updated: Apr-13-16 12:24 pm
The real test of Kris Letang's relentless stamina doesn't come in the Pittsburgh Penguins dressing room after a long game. When he logs the kind of ice time that looks like a typo on the stat sheet, the big challenge comes the next morning, when his young son Alex hops into bed ready for dad to get up and play.
- High-profile injuries around NHL muddle playoff landscape Updated: Apr-12-16 5:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The defending Eastern Conference Tampa Bay Lightning are a lot more uneasy going into the playoffs than they were a year ago. Not having Steven Stamkos and Anton Stralman can do that.
- Surging Penguins complete turnaround in time for playoffs Updated: Apr-11-16 5:55 pm
PITTSBURGH - Matt Cullen can't quite find the right words to describe it. Maybe because the seemingly ageless Pittsburgh Penguins center has never experienced a season quite like this in a career that spans eight cities and nearly two decades.
- Islanders lose 5-2 to flyers, get Panthers in 1st round Updated: Apr-10-16 11:05 pm
- Rangers open playoffs at Pens; Ducks vault Kings in Pacific Updated: Apr-10-16 11:04 pm