- World Cup draw: the strong, the weak, the lucky Updated: Dec-06-13 4:53 pm
- Defending champion Spain gets repeat of 2010 final Updated: Dec-06-13 12:47 pm
- 32 teams, world of possibilities in World Cup draw Updated: Dec-05-13 12:12 pm
- How Switzerland joined the World Cup seeded elite Updated: Dec-02-13 12:24 pm
- Column: Hold the hype on the World Cup Updated: Nov-20-13 12:14 pm
- Argentina tops Bosnia 2-0 Updated: Nov-18-13 10:57 pm
- Messi's injury problems may be his own fault Updated: Nov-18-13 9:26 am
- Bosnia awaits warm soccer welcome in St. Louis Updated: Nov-17-13 1:33 pm
- Messi set to miss rest of 2013 to another injury Updated: Nov-11-13 4:24 pm
- Messi out 6 to 8 weeks with another leg injury Updated: Nov-11-13 2:21 pm
- Lippi the toast of China after ACL title Updated: Nov-10-13 1:58 am
- Nigeria beats Mexico in U17 World Cup final Updated: Nov-08-13 3:06 pm
Who wound up in difficult groups and who got away easy from Friday's World Cup draw (average world ranking for four teams in parentheses):
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - Defending champion Spain will play its opening World Cup game against the Netherlands, a repeat of the 2010 final, while host Brazil faces a relatively easy path to the knockout stage after Friday's draw.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - Thirty two teams and a world of possibilities.
GENEVA - There is one certainty among many possibilities offered by the World Cup draw Friday: Most teams want to be in Switzerland's group.
PARIS - Even though it comes around comet-like just once every four years, or perhaps precisely because of that, the World Cup's grip on the planet's imagination remains impressive. French fans' delirious chants of "We're going to Brazil!" after their team dug deep to defeat Ukraine in the playoffs and Cristiano Ronaldo's joy at his hat trick that qualified Portugal showed how much this most global of sports tournaments means to nations and people alike.
ST. LOUIS - Sergio Aguero scored twice and got the lone yellow card for Argentina, which frustrated a partisan crowd in a 2-0 exhibition victory over Bosnia on Monday night.
MADRID - Lionel Messi seems to keep getting injured these days, and he could be the one to blame for his own troubles.
ST. LOUIS - Lionel Messi's last-minute scratch from an Argentina-Bosnia World Cup exhibition on Monday isn't dampening excitement in St. Louis, home to one of the largest Bosnian communities outside Sarajevo.
BARCELONA, Spain - Lionel Messi probably won't play football again until 2014.
BARCELONA, Spain - Lionel Messi probably won't play soccer again until 2014.
GUANGZHOU, China - Ninety minutes before kick-off in the 2013 Asian Champions League final second leg, with the Guangzhou stadium almost full, Marcello Lippi sat in the dugout to smoke a pre-game cigar.
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - Nigeria beat Mexico 3-0 in the Under-17 World Cup final on Friday to win the tournament for a record fourth time.