- Democrats: Illinois schools could face major cuts Updated: Apr-18-14 7:08 pm
- Investigator wants tougher legislative ethics laws Updated: Apr-18-14 4:49 pm
- GOP lawmaker objects to 9-0 vote for Obama library Updated: Apr-18-14 2:23 pm
- Illinois gives early OK to $100M for Obama museum Updated: Apr-17-14 5:19 pm
- Legislative hearing on Chicago casino underway Updated: Apr-16-14 12:23 pm
- Chicago-only casino option to face opposition Updated: Apr-15-14 9:17 pm
- Ill. House orders new audit of anti-violence funds Updated: Apr-15-14 4:14 pm
- Ill. House panel plans daylong gambling hearing Updated: Apr-15-14 4:04 am
- Closer Look: Tough tax votes loom in Illinois Updated: Apr-13-14 12:32 pm
- Voters to decide on 2 constitutional amendments Updated: Apr-11-14 3:05 pm
- Illinois Senate approves ban on ticket quotas Updated: Apr-11-14 11:10 am
- Correction: XGR-Retirement Savings story Updated: Apr-10-14 6:31 pm
- Amendment protecting Ill. voters to go on ballot Updated: Apr-10-14 4:31 pm
- Illinois House OKs ridesharing regulations Updated: Apr-10-14 3:17 pm
- Illinois House speaker cleared in transit probe Updated: Apr-10-14 3:11 pm
- School funding proposal advances, changes likely Updated: Apr-10-14 1:17 pm
- Bill would guard against denial of disaster aid Updated: Apr-10-14 8:34 am
- Bill helps districts fill teaching vacancies Updated: Apr-10-14 7:24 am
- Illinois House leader halts millionaire tax plan Updated: Apr-09-14 6:17 pm
- Change in Illinois' GPS monitoring law advances Updated: Apr-09-14 1:43 pm
- Illinois Legislature OKs Chicago pension overhaul Updated: Apr-08-14 7:37 pm
- Quinn won't say if he'll sign Chicago pension bill Updated: Apr-08-14 3:25 pm
- School funding plan advances in Illinois Senate Updated: Apr-08-14 3:11 pm
- Ill. Senate OKs proposal lowering probation time Updated: Apr-08-14 6:58 am
- Illinois House OKs IHSA hearings Updated: Apr-07-14 8:02 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Most of Illinois' 860 school districts would see cuts in funding if the state's temporary tax increase is rolled back as scheduled, according to a document being circulated as part of Illinois Democrats' campaign to preserve the tax hike and push to update the state's school funding formula.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Job recommendations and university application referrals from Illinois lawmakers should be tracked and publicized after clout-related scandals at the University of Illinois and the Metra transit agency, the General Assembly's top ethics officer said Friday.
CHICAGO - At least one Republican lawmaker says he's filing a protest after an Illinois House committee recorded a 9-0 vote to commit $100 million to bring President Barack Obama's library to Chicago, even though only five Democrats - and none of the committee's four GOP members - were there.
CHICAGO - Even though Chicago is where Barack Obama got his start in politics, first lady Michelle Obama grew up and the Obamas still call their hometown, state and local officials aren't taking for granted that the Windy City will land the president's official library.
CHICAGO - Anti-gambling advocates say plans calling for more casinos in Illinois will incur social costs.
SPRINGIFELD, Illinois - An Illinois lawmaker's proposal to expand gambling in Chicago, but not the rest of the state, will be the focus of a day of hearings that could get heated.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois lawmakers are seeking a new audit of anti-violence spending under Gov. Pat Quinn after a review in February found "pervasive" mismanagement in an earlier program.
CHICAGO - An Illinois House committee is planning a daylong hearing on gambling expansion in the state.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Faced with an expected $3 billion budget hole from an expiring income tax increase, Illinois lawmakers are grappling with whether to raise taxes to avoid major cuts to schools and social services next year.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Voters in Illinois will be asked whether to amend the state constitution in at least two different ways.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Legislation that would ban police departments from issuing quotas on tickets has been approved in the Illinois Senate.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - In a story April 9 about proposed retirement savings accounts for private-sector workers, The Associated Press reported erroneously in the first sentence that the program cleared the Illinois Legislature. It cleared the Senate.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois voters will consider a constitutional amendment this fall aimed at scuttling attempts at voter suppression after Senate action Thursday.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Legislation creating rules for unregulated rideshare companies such as Uber, Lyft, and Sidecar is moving through the Illinois Legislature.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - An investigation into whether Illinois' powerful House speaker improperly influenced hiring at Chicago's scandal-tarnished Metra commuter rail agency found no legal violations, according to the Democratic lawmaker's office.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Legislation that makes sweeping changes to Illinois' public school funding is progressing in the Illinois Senate, but changes are likely before it could become law.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Draft legislation would require the state to step in with disaster aid if the federal government denies requests for help.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Legislation helping southern Illinois school districts fill teaching vacancies with recently retired teachers is advancing in the state Legislature.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - An effort to increase taxes for Illinois millionaires is on hold after the state's powerful House speaker couldn't get enough votes to push his plan through the Democratic-controlled Legislature, and he's blaming Republicans who "prefer and protect millionaires over school children," his spokesman said Wednesday.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A bill that would let law enforcement officials use GPS tracking on people with a restraining order is advancing in the Illinois Legislature.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - State lawmakers on Tuesday approved Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's proposal for overhauling two city pension programs that officials say could otherwise be out of money in little more than a decade.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A proposal to dramatically overhaul the state's school funding formula and allocate more money to poorer districts moved ahead in the Illinois Senate on Tuesday. The regionally divisive issue, however, likely faces a tough road in gaining support from both parties in both chambers.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Legislation that would decrease a criminal's time on probation if they pursued further education is moving through the Illinois Legislature.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois House has narrowly approved legislative hearings looking into how the Illinois High School Association operates.