- Illinois school funding will be topic for legislative panel Updated: Feb-04-16 11:50 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Democratic House Speaker Michael Madigan is forming a legislative panel to discuss changes to how Illinois funds its schools.
- Pension bill on hold despite Rauner, Cullerton agreement Updated: Feb-01-16 4:09 pm
CHICAGO - Democrats are unlikely to address Illinois' worst-in-the-nation pension crisis until the state has a budget, despite a rare agreement between Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Senate President John Cullerton and calls from the governor to send him a bill "right away."
- The Latest: Madigan says he's open to new pension deal Updated: Jan-27-16 4:28 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Latest on Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner's State of the State address on Wednesday (all times local):
- Illinois Senate president wants school funding formula fix Updated: Jan-25-16 3:53 pm
CHICAGO - A top Democrat says inequity in Illinois' school funding formula is the "defining crisis of our time" and an overhaul is a top priority.
- Fire-safety push for Illinois community where fire killed 5 Updated: Jan-22-16 4:11 am
ROCK FALLS, Illinois - There's a push for fire-safety awareness in a northern Illinois community where five members of a family were killed in a blaze last week.
- The Latest: Fitch downgrades Chicago schools' credit rating Updated: Jan-20-16 2:59 pm
CHICAGO - The latest on Illinois Republicans proposing a state takeover of Chicago Public Schools (all times local):
- Illinois, other states debate laws for police videos Updated: Jan-17-16 7:59 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Some Illinois lawmakers want to make it harder for police to prevent the release of videos in response to the highly publicized dashcam footage showing a white Chicago police officer fatally shooting a black teenager.
- Rauner aide blasts university 'cronyism' amid funding debate Updated: Jan-13-16 10:59 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner took a shot at "waste" and "cronyism" in public universities Wednesday, telling lawmakers through a surrogate that schools should be more accountable for their spending before the state finds money for tuition grants that Democrats are pushing.
- Early morning fire claims 5 members of Illinois family Updated: Jan-13-16 8:07 pm
ROCK FALLS, Illinois - Five members of a northern Illinois family were killed Wednesday when an early morning fire swept through their home, officials said.
- THE LATEST: Rauner takes shot at university spending Updated: Jan-13-16 6:35 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The latest on lawmaker action Wednesday at the Illinois Capitol in Springfield (all times local):
- Radogno says Illinois budget standoff could last for years Updated: Jan-11-16 5:34 pm
CHICAGO - The top Republican in the Illinois Senate says "it's possible" the standoff over a state budget could last for several years if Democrats aren't willing to compromise.
- Lengthy budget delay to dominate 2016 legislative session Updated: Jan-10-16 1:40 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois has limped along without a budget since July and solving that gridlock will be lawmakers' top priority in the impending session, a time when they've traditionally turned attention to passing a fresh budget for the coming fiscal year.