- Islanders look to bounce back in Game 3 against Lightning Updated: May-03-16 3:29 am
SYOSSET, New York - The New York Islanders know there are several areas they need to improve to avoid falling behind in their second-round series against Tampa Bay.
- Marquette facility wins Kraft Hockeyville USA contest Updated: May-02-16 2:02 pm
MARQUETTE, Michigan - Marquette's Lakeview Arena has won the title of Kraft Hockeyville USA, a $150,000 grand prize and the opportunity to host an NHL preseason game.
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Updated: Apr-30-16 9:58 pm
Brendan Shanahan went online to try the NHL draft lottery simulator just once, and was excited to see the Toronto Maple Leafs win the first pick.
- Johnson has 2 goals and assist, Lightning beat Islanders 4-1 Updated: Apr-30-16 7:51 pm
TAMPA, Florida - Tyler Johnson continues to have postseason success.
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Updated: Apr-29-16 3:05 pm
BUFFALO, New York - The Buffalo Sabres have re-signed forward Johan Larsson to a one-year contract.
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Updated: Apr-28-16 4:26 pm
DETROIT - The name of the new home of the Detroit Red Wings is staying in the family.
- Tough guy Colton Orr retires after 9-year NHL career Updated: Apr-28-16 4:03 pm
TORONTO - NHL tough guy Colton Orr has retired after nine years in the league.
- LGBT anti-discrimination employment bill advances in Senate Updated: Apr-28-16 3:48 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Senators advanced a proposal to ban employment discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, moments after an initial vote appeared to stall the measure in committee.
- Downtown stadium proposed as part of Detroit MLS bid Updated: Apr-27-16 9:09 pm
DETROIT - Major League Soccer is eyeing the site of a suspended jail project as a possible home for a new soccer team in Detroit, part of a massive downtown development that would be built in the same area where the Tigers, Lions and Red Wings play.
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Updated: Apr-26-16 2:41 pm
SUNRISE, Florida - Willie Mitchell hoisted the Stanley Cup twice, played parts of 15 NHL seasons, even found a way back on the ice after a knee injury kept him out for more than a year.
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Updated: Apr-25-16 4:42 pm
PITTSBURGH - Phil Kessel speaks in a polite whisper, as if he's worried talking too loudly might inadvertently attract the spotlight and well, he doesn't want that.
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Updated: Apr-25-16 3:42 pm
SUNRISE, Florida - There was a stretch in the regular season where the Florida Panthers seemed like they were getting every break, helping them put together what became a franchise-record 12-game winning streak.
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Updated: Apr-25-16 2:08 am
NEW YORK - The New York Islanders' long playoff drought is over.
- Panthers C Nick Bjugstad out for Game 5 against Islanders Updated: Apr-24-16 6:26 pm
NEW YORK - Florida center Nick Bjugstad is out for Game 6 of the Panthers' first-round series against the New York Islanders on Sunday night after sustaining a head injury in the last game.
- Kings' Vincent Lecavalier to retire after 17-year NHL career Updated: Apr-24-16 4:25 pm
EL SEGUNDO, California - Vincent Lecavalier intends to retire this summer, ending his 17-year NHL career after one last revitalizing season with the Los Angeles Kings.
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Updated: Apr-23-16 7:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Michal Neuvirth, Thomas Greiss and Martin Jones were sitting on the bench as playoff backups a year ago. Jeff Zatkoff and Matt Murray were in the minors.
- Quine wins it in 2nd OT, Islanders top Panthers 2-1 Updated: Apr-23-16 1:43 am
SUNRISE, Florida - Alan Quine was a newborn when the New York Islanders last won a playoff series. He spent most of this season in the minors. His NHL debut was a mere two weeks ago, the team adding him to the roster as an emergency callup.
- No Canada: NHL playoff ratings plummet north of the border Updated: Apr-22-16 10:46 pm
With NHL playoff viewership down nearly two-thirds across Canada, the television executive who committed Toronto-based Sportsnet to a 12-year, multibillion-dollar broadcasting rights agreement joked how glad he was to have a third-floor office.
- Red Wings follow refrain, make brief appearance in playoffs Updated: Apr-22-16 6:58 pm
DETROIT - The Detroit Red Wings have developed a pattern of consistency, and that's not necessarily a good thing.
- Pete Rose has MLB OK to appear at Triple-A Rochester NY game Updated: Apr-22-16 6:43 pm
Pete Rose has been granted yet another break from his lifetime ban from Major League Baseball.
- Hats over rats: NHL commish on what fans can throw on ice Updated: Apr-22-16 5:19 pm
NEW YORK - Attention, Florida Panthers fans: Throwing those toy rats on the ice during a game means drawing the ire of NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.
- Bishop shines, Lightning eliminate Red Wings in 5 games Updated: Apr-22-16 3:41 am
TAMPA, Florida - The Tampa Bay Lightning can use a break - and they've earned it.
- Killorn's late goal lifts Lightning over Red Wings 1-0 Updated: Apr-21-16 11:27 pm
TAMPA, Florida - Ben Bishop refused to crack.
- Rats, Octopi and sharks! NHL needs pest control for playoffs Updated: Apr-20-16 4:47 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Rats! And Octopi. Even a lifeless shark.
- Senate OKs bill to promote wide variety of energy sources Updated: Apr-20-16 4:41 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate overwhelmingly approved a far-reaching energy bill Wednesday that reflects significant changes in U.S. oil and natural gas production over the past decade and boosts alternative energy sources such as wind and solar power.