- California corrections chief aims to change prison culture Updated: Feb-10-16 2:22 am
SACRAMENTO, California - California's new corrections chief plans to add training on diversity and leadership for prison employees and to examine what has been effective in other states to change employees' attitudes as he tries to alter a culture that often pits prison guards against inmates and outsiders.
- Inmate death being investigated as homicide Updated: Feb-08-16 7:03 pm
LANCASTER, California - Officials at a Los Angeles County state prison say they are investigating the death of an inmate found unresponsive in his cell as a homicide and that his cellmate is a suspect.
- Skeptics question proposed criminal sentences ballot measure Updated: Jan-28-16 5:37 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown's proposal to revamp California's criminal sentencing laws could have unintended consequences, skeptics said, even as it takes the next step in meeting a federal requirement for the state to reduce its prison population.
- The Latest: California governor proposes sentencing reforms Updated: Jan-27-16 6:59 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on Gov. Jerry Brown's proposal to reform sentencing (all times local):
- California eyes 1-drug executions amid debate Updated: Jan-22-16 5:33 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Californians face a watershed year as they prepare to decide whether to resume executions that stopped a decade ago or end them entirely.
- The Latest: Opponent says state risks botched executions Updated: Jan-22-16 2:10 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The latest on the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitations hearing on California's proposed use of one lethal injection for executions (all times local):