- Appeals court delays transgender California inmate's surgery Updated: May-21-15 9:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A federal appeals court delayed sex reassignment surgery for a transgender prison inmate in California on Thursday, hours after a state panel recommended that she be paroled.
- Missing California inmate found dead hours after fight Updated: May-05-15 7:02 pm
VACAVILLE, California - Officials are investigating whether the death of an inmate who went missing from a Northern California prison is related to a fight among prisoners earlier in the day.
- Death row inmate found dead in cell at San Quentin Updated: Apr-30-15 10:06 pm
SAN QUENTIN, California - A 64-year-old inmate who spent 14 years on California's death row for the murder of his estranged wife has died at San Quentin State Prison.
- 5 things to know about transgender Americans Updated: Apr-24-15 7:44 pm
NEW YORK - These are pivotal times for transgender Americans, as they gain in visibility yet remain buffeted by bias and misunderstanding.
- California prisons reject advice to trim inmate killings Updated: Apr-23-15 7:26 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's corrections department has rejected a recommendation that its inspector general says could help reduce an extraordinarily high homicide rate in state prisons, officials said Thursday.
- Inmate inside California prison shot, killed by officer Updated: Apr-22-15 6:20 pm
FRESNO, California - An inmate at a California state prison was shot and killed to stop an attack on another who had fallen to the ground unconscious, unable to defend himself, officials said Wednesday.