- GOP Senate candidates slam Obama, "Washington Republicans" Updated: Aug-29-15 2:01 pm
TAMPA, Florida - They railed against the Obama administration's foreign policy. They scolded "Washington Republicans." And they decried the $18 trillion national debt and the dysfunction of a Congress that cannot get anything done.
- Experts say tough talk on China overlooks economic realities Updated: Aug-29-15 3:17 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - If there was ever a week for the Republican presidential candidates to talk tough on China, this was it. Spurred by the stock market's wild ride, they lashed out at the world's most populous nation.
- Dem chairwoman calls on GOP lawmaker to resign over EPA fine Updated: Aug-28-15 6:50 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - State Democratic Party Chairwoman Mary Mancini on Friday called on Republican state Rep. Andy Holt to resign over alleged environmental violations at his northwestern Tennessee hog farm.
- Legislator and GOP chairman file lawsuit against amendments Updated: Aug-28-15 2:10 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A group including a Pensacola state legislator and the chairman of the Alachua County Republican Party is launching a new legal challenge to two amendments passed by voters.
- Rubio says strength is only way to maintain peace with China Updated: Aug-27-15 8:20 pm
MIAMI - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio says the United States must bolster its military, push for more free trade and hold China far more accountable on human rights.
- Christie embarks on TV blitz to gain campaign traction Updated: Aug-27-15 7:18 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie embarked on a TV blitz Thursday as he works to gain traction in his 2016 Republican presidential primary campaign.
- Trump, Cruz to hold joint event to blast Iran deal Updated: Aug-27-15 5:17 pm
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - GOP presidential candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are expected to headline a Capitol Hill rally against President Obama's proposed nuclear agreement with Iran, both candidates confirmed Thursday.
- Ex-Republican House staffer imprisoned 1 year for mail fraud Updated: Aug-27-15 3:00 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - George Gallo, the former chief of staff to the Connecticut House Republicans, was sentenced Thursday to a year and a day in prison for taking more than $100,000 in payments from a political campaign direct mail company to which he steered business.
- Clinton likens GOP's views on women to those of terrorists Updated: Aug-27-15 2:55 pm
CLEVELAND - Hillary Rodham Clinton on Thursday drew parallels between terrorist organizations and the field of Republican candidates for president when it comes to their views on women, telling an Ohio audience her potential GOP rivals were pushing "out of date" policies.
- Bill requires prosecution of transferred immigrants Updated: Aug-26-15 9:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Seeking to prevent another tragedy like the July killing of a woman on a San Francisco pier, Republican state lawmakers on Wednesday proposed legislation that would prevent California cities from accepting federal transfers of immigrant prisoners unless local prosecutors commit to pursuing felony charges.
- Clinton, Kobach spar in social media flap over voting rights Updated: Aug-26-15 4:46 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach traded barbs this week over social media with Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton on voting rights.
- North Carolina editorial roundup Updated: Aug-26-15 4:37 pm
Recent editorials from North Carolina newspapers:
- GOP candidate Jeb Bush holds fundraiser in Salt Lake City Updated: Aug-26-15 12:18 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush was in Salt Lake City on Tuesday for a fundraising luncheon where he spoke about presidential candidate Donald Trump and the GOP's need to appeal to Latino and African American voters.
- The Latest: 3 House primary runoffs too close to call Updated: Aug-26-15 12:11 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The latest on Mississippi primary runoff elections (all times local):
- Coleman, Britton win party primary runoffs for commissions Updated: Aug-25-15 11:11 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Democratic and Republican party slates are now set for statewide and regional offices in Mississippi, with voters on Tuesday deciding one primary runoff for each party for a seat on a state commission.
- Missouri abortion licensing law splits GOP, health officials Updated: Aug-25-15 9:52 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Republican senators and the Missouri health department director debated Tuesday whether a Columbia Planned Parenthood met state requirements needed to perform abortions, an issue that has led to questions about whether the agency properly granted the clinic a license in July.
- House defeats GOP bid to override parts of Wolf budget veto Updated: Aug-25-15 8:41 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania's budget impasse remained firmly in place Tuesday after the Republican majority failed during hours of debate to persuade Democrats in a series of 14 votes to override any portion of Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf's budget veto.
- With Dalrymple out, speculation begins on next ND governor Updated: Aug-25-15 7:13 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Gov. Jack Dalrymple's announcement that he won't seek a second full term sets off a potential scramble to replace him. Here's a rundown of who's who among the potential hopefuls on both the Republican and Democratic sides:
- Colorado Republicans cancel presidential poll at caucuses Updated: Aug-25-15 6:23 pm
DENVER - Republicans in Colorado have decided to diminish the swing state's early role in their party's presidential nominating contest.
- Perry, Santorum presidential hopes undercut by own donors Updated: Aug-25-15 3:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The two returning Republican presidential candidates have struggled to keep their own donors interested.
- Former Dem congressman, GOP operative decry dark money Updated: Aug-25-15 3:09 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A former Democratic congressman and a prominent Republican political operative on Tuesday called for ending untraceable spending for and against candidates in Tennessee and around the country.
- Christie urges Booker, Congress to oppose Iran deal Updated: Aug-25-15 2:19 pm
NEW BRUNSWICK, New Jersey - The Iran nuclear agreement is a bad deal and Congress should vote to block it, including an undecided U.S. Sen. Cory Booker, Gov. Chris Christie said Tuesday as he stood alongside Jewish leaders.
- Rand Paul is 6th candidate planning to attend Michigan event Updated: Aug-25-15 9:15 am
MACKINAC ISLAND, Michigan - Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is scheduled to speak next month at a Republican gathering in Michigan.
- Former Missouri House speaker gives $562K to GOP committee Updated: Aug-24-15 7:46 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Former Republican Missouri House Speaker Steve Tilley has given more than half a million dollars to a GOP political action committee.
- Iowa GOP lawmakers seek investigation of abortion providers Updated: Aug-24-15 5:40 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republican lawmakers are asking the Iowa attorney general to investigate abortion providers in the state.