- Wolf attacks GOP budget, says finances must be put in order Updated: Jul-07-15 8:35 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf isn't backing off his demand for a new state budget after vetoing a $30.2 billion document passed solely by Republican state lawmakers.
- Ohio governor heading back south for events Updated: Jul-07-15 4:06 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) will make a southern swing this week as he gets ready to a join the crowded field of Republican presidential hopefuls.
- Senate, House look to update Bush-era education law Updated: Jul-07-15 3:25 am
WASHINGTON - It's something most Democrats and Republicans in Congress can agree on - an update to the Bush-era No Child Left Behind education law is much needed and long overdue.
- Nevada GOP Rep. Joe Heck running for Reid's US Senate seat Updated: Jul-06-15 8:26 pm
LAS VEGAS - Joe Heck, the newly announced Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in Nevada, on Monday criticized Donald Trump's comments about Mexican immigrants, saying entire ethnic groups can't be stereotyped.
- Democrats, Republicans to each host minority forum in Iowa Updated: Jul-06-15 4:14 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Democrats and Republicans in Iowa are planning to host presidential forums that focus on minority communities.
- Murray, Benjamin, Morrisey to speak at local W.Va. GOP event Updated: Jul-06-15 3:08 pm
WHEELING, West Virginia - Coal executive Robert Murray, state Supreme Court Justice Brent Benjamin and Attorney General Patrick Morrisey will speak at an Ohio County Republican event.
- Q&A: As Obama health law survives, GOP split over next move Updated: Jul-06-15 3:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Having lost their latest war against President Barack Obama's health care overhaul, Republicans must decide how to wage battles that could fan the issue for the 2016 elections.
- Republican enters race for open Las Vegas congressional seat Updated: Jul-06-15 12:30 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Former Nevada congressional candidate Dr. Annette Teijeiro says she's planning on running for an open Las Vegas congressional seat.
- Piano-playing senator's latest tune: New education policy Updated: Jul-06-15 4:09 am
WASHINGTON - How does a musician-senator fill the time during yet another partisan Senate stalemate?
- NC's spigot for Golden LEAF could turn back on again Updated: Jul-05-15 9:34 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Republicans at the General Assembly who once soured upon a foundation that used to get half of North Carolina's national tobacco settlement money may be coming around to embrace it, or at least accept it.
- Some say Christie's gone too much to govern New Jersey Updated: Jul-05-15 2:00 pm
MAPLE SHADE, New Jersey - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's presidential run is adding a new dimension to his already complicated relationship with Democrats in his home state.
- Gov. McCrory blasts fellow Republicans for Greensboro bill Updated: Jul-05-15 11:59 am
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory says fellow Republicans in the Legislature didn't follow their conservative roots when they approved a bill changing the Greensboro City Council.
- Expectation of veto aided GOP's legislative wins, some say Updated: Jul-04-15 1:22 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - After three years of futility, Republicans finally used their majorities in Pennsylvania's state House and Senate to pass their top agenda items: ending the traditional pension benefit in the state's public employee retirement systems and privatizing its government-controlled wine and liquor store system.
- NC legislators want Medicaid reform before expansion Updated: Jul-04-15 12:04 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Despite a key win in the Supreme Court and pressure from liberal activists, North Carolina's legislative leaders said this past week that they have no plans to expand the state's Medicaid rolls through President Barack Obama's 2010 health care law.
- Arkansas leaders try to diffuse war of words on gay marriage Updated: Jul-03-15 6:49 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Opposition from Arkansas legislative leaders to the U.S. Supreme Court's recent ruling lifting the ban on gay marriage nationwide bubbled over into a war of words late Thursday between the state's legislative and executive branches.
- Marco Rubio to campaign in Nevada; making stops in Henderson Updated: Jul-03-15 4:47 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential candidate Sen. Marco Rubio is returning to Nevada.
- Kasich to return to South Carolina ahead of 2016 bid kickoff Updated: Jul-03-15 6:28 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) is planning a fifth visit to South Carolina ahead of the planned launch of his presidential bid later this month.
- Arkansas Republican caucuses plan religious protections Updated: Jul-02-15 6:54 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas state Senate Republicans are working on legislation to reinforce protections for religious organizations in response to last week's U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing gay marriage nationwide.
- Obama draws sharp contrasts with 'mean' Republicans Updated: Jul-02-15 5:39 pm
LA CROSSE, Wisconsin - Wading into presidential politics, President Barack Obama on Thursday promoted his brand of middle-class economics by drawing sharp contrasts with "mean" Republicans in a state whose GOP governor was preparing to enter the vast 2016 presidential field.
- Top Republican doubts Senate will confirm ambassador to Cuba Updated: Jul-02-15 4:32 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday that his chamber is unlikely to approve an American ambassador to Cuba, dishing out a quick rebuff to President Barack Obama and his drive to normalize relations with the U.S. neighbor and longtime Cold War foe.
- Nevada Democrats brace for life after Reid's retirement Updated: Jul-02-15 1:26 pm
LAS VEGAS - Local and state officials gathered near Hoover Dam in April to celebrate the groundbreaking of a highway bypass that might ultimately become part of an interstate connecting Las Vegas with Phoenix.
- Martinez: Christie like many 'friends' eyeing GOP nomination Updated: Jul-02-15 9:47 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez says she knew her friend New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie would jump into the race for the GOP presidential nomination.
- Heeding Francis, Iowa Catholic leaders to pressure '16 field Updated: Jul-02-15 3:40 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Roman Catholic leaders in the early voting state of Iowa will call Thursday on candidates for president to follow the teachings of Pope Francis and focus as much on the environment and income inequality in 2016 as they have in past elections on opposing gay marriage and abortion.
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam to headline West Virginia GOP event Updated: Jul-01-15 3:14 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam is slated to headline an event next month for the West Virginia Republican Party.
- The Latest: Pennsylvania governor vetoes GOP's budget bill Updated: Jun-30-15 10:34 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The latest news from efforts by Pennsylvania Republican lawmakers to send various pieces of major legislation to Gov. Tom Wolf's desk (all times local):