- Former Michigan governor to rally southwest Ohio Democrats Updated: May-04-16 12:46 am
CINCINNATI - A former Michigan governor will headline a gathering of Ohio Democrats in Cincinnati.
- The Latest: Democratic budget deal reached, vote Wednesday Updated: May-03-16 11:41 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on a Connecticut budget agreement between Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and Democratic legislators (all times local):
- Trump virtually clinches Republican presidential nomination Updated: May-03-16 11:32 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - In a stunning triumph for a political outsider, Donald Trump all but clinched the Republican presidential nomination Tuesday with a resounding victory in Indiana that knocked rival Ted Cruz out of the race and cleared Trump's path to a likely November face-off with Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton.
- Wealthy newcomer grabs US House nod, while Trump, Young win Updated: May-03-16 11:06 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A wealthy political newcomer and a state senator won the Republican primaries for Indiana's two open congressional seats on Tuesday as Donald Trump scored a big victory in the presidential race and Rep. Todd Young captured the GOP's Senate nomination.
- The Latest: Hollingsworth says he'll earn support of voters Updated: May-03-16 10:53 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on Tuesday's Indiana primary election (all times local):
- The Latest: Sanders gets delegate boost; challenge remains Updated: May-03-16 10:47 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on campaign 2016 as voters in Indiana head to the polls for the state primary (all times Eastern):
- The Latest: Democrats' effort to adds KidsCare fails Updated: May-03-16 10:26 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on Arizona's budget (all times local):
- Democrats divide in 3-way primary for West Virginia governor Updated: May-03-16 4:57 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - While West Virginia's coal industry shrivels and unemployment surges, billionaire businessman Jim Justice is dreaming about the next Dollywood, Disney World or Idaho potato in his Democratic bid for governor.
- Chairs of Arkansas GOP, Democrats agree on health care plan Updated: May-03-16 4:50 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The chairmen of Arkansas' largest political parties managed to agree on how legislators put together a Medicaid expansion plan that uses federal dollars to buy health care insurance for poorer residents.
- The Latest: Mattiello: Lawmaker resigned amid federal probe Updated: May-03-16 4:46 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Latest on the resignation of Rhode Island House Finance Committee Chairman Raymond Gallison (all times local):
- Illinois Democrats weighing higher taxes for the wealthy Updated: May-03-16 3:59 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois House Democrats delayed a measure to tax millionaires at higher rates if voters approved the plan in November.
- Fairfax to run as Democrat for Virginia lieutenant governor Updated: May-03-16 1:37 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Former federal prosecutor and 2013 attorney general candidate Justin E. Fairfax is running for Virginia's lieutenant governor position.
- Ex-challenger supports Ohio Democratic nominee for US Senate Updated: May-03-16 7:08 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Cincinnati city councilman who lost to former Gov. Ted Strickland in Ohio's Democratic primary for the U.S. Senate nomination is now endorsing his former rival.
- NCAE, Democratic lawmakers speaker out on teachers' day Updated: May-03-16 4:05 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Critics of the Republican-led North Carolina General Assembly say low morale within the teaching profession needs to be reversed.
- Indiana GOP voters pick between differing styles for Senate Updated: May-03-16 2:55 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Republicans will choose a U.S. Senate nominee on Tuesday from two congressmen who rode a tea party wave to Washington in 2010 but now offer voters a stark style choice of either confrontation or pragmatism.
- Democratic Senate candidates defend Obama during forum Updated: May-02-16 9:48 pm
FLORENCE, Kentucky - After years of being battered as a political punching bag in Kentucky, President Barack Obama received some favorable reviews Monday evening from several Democrats running for the U.S. Senate seat held by Republican Rand Paul.
- Nevada Democrats beat GOP in new registrations in April Updated: May-02-16 6:44 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Officials say new Democratic voter registrations in Nevada outnumbered new Republican registrations two to one in April.
- Branstad, Democrats criticize each other on water quality Updated: May-02-16 12:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad and Democratic lawmakers are blaming each other for failing to pass legislation on water quality initiatives.
- Next up in NY Legislature: Uber, ethics and NYC schools Updated: May-01-16 1:51 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York lawmakers will return to Albany on Tuesday to begin the final weeks of their work for 2016, confronting a to-do list that includes a possible upstate expansion for Uber, a decision on control of public schools in New York City and the challenge of addressing Albany's perennial corruption problem.
- TV attack ads start fast in Pennsylvania Senate race Updated: May-01-16 11:00 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrat Katie McGinty had barely finished her victory speech celebrating a 10-point Pennsylvania primary win for the nomination to challenge Republican U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey before TV attack ads began flying in a general election contest that could tilt political control of the U.S. Senate.
- Missouri Democrats see scant progress on police oversight Updated: Apr-30-16 1:25 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Taped on the office door of Rep. Brandon Ellington, the chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus, is a cutout of the House public safety chairman's smiling face, topped with the words "This is what bigotry looks like!"
- Probe of NYC mayor casts harsh light on lax campaign laws Updated: Apr-30-16 12:22 pm
ALBANY, New York - A probe swirling around New York City's mayor has cast a harsh light on some of the nation's most lax campaign finance laws, with contribution limits so easy to get around that even government watchdogs acknowledge a ring of truth to the familiar excuse: Hey, everybody's doing it.
- News Guide: A look at other primary races in West Virginia Updated: Apr-30-16 11:36 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - They're not running for president, governor, Congress or the state Supreme Court, yet some candidates in West Virginia's May 10 primary are hoping for the chance to earn their party's nominations for several statewide offices. Here is a summary of those races:
- California Democrats will meet to choose national delegates Updated: Apr-28-16 8:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - While much of the political attention is focused on the California GOP convention this weekend, Democrats are holding meetings around the state to select delegates to the national convention in Philadelphia.
- The Latest: Ballot count continues in NY Senate race Updated: Apr-27-16 5:54 pm
ALBANY, New York - The Latest on the counting of absentee ballots in the contested New York state Senate election on Long Island (all times local):