- Missouri Democrat proposes gun ban for domestic abusers Updated: Feb-06-16 1:39 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - While there's consensus in some other Republican-dominated states to ramp-up laws to keep firearms out of the hands of domestic abusers, a Missouri proposal to do that appears to have little chance in the GOP Legislature.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Small group of NY lawmakers make biggest outside incomes Updated: Feb-06-16 11:04 am
ALBANY, New York - Reform advocates, most voters and Gov. Andrew Cuomo want to help clean up scandal-scarred Albany by prohibiting the state's 213 legislators from making serious money on the side.
- Recent state laws on domestic abuse, gun rights Updated: Feb-06-16 8:13 am
Specifics of the state laws passed during the last two years that are intended to make it harder for people convicted or suspected of domestic violence to access firearms:
- Washington Senate votes to oust transportation secretary Updated: Feb-06-16 1:20 am
OLYMPIA, Washington - The state Senate on Friday rejected the gubernatorial appointment of Transportation Secretary Lynn Peterson, ousting her from the job she has held since shortly after Gov. Jay Inslee took office in 2013.
- The Latest: New Mexico REAL ID compromise passes 2nd test Updated: Feb-05-16 6:43 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The latest on New Mexico lawmakers' REAL ID debate (all times local):
- In Obama's final year, Senate is slow to act on his nominees Updated: Feb-05-16 5:28 pm
WASHINGTON - If you wear combat fatigues to work, then your nomination is almost sure to sail through the Senate. If not, you're likely in for a long wait.
- Culinary Union backs Nevada state Sen. Kihuen for Congress Updated: Feb-05-16 1:14 pm
LAS VEGAS - Nevada's largest labor union announced it's endorsing Democratic Nevada state Sen. Ruben Kihuen in the crowded race for Rep. Cresent Hardy's congressional seat.
- W.Va. lawmakers OK right to work, prevailing wage repeal Updated: Feb-04-16 6:34 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Dealing blows to organized labor, West Virginia's Republican-led Legislature cleared proposals Thursday to repeal the state's prevailing wage for public construction jobs and make the Mountain State the 26th with a right-to-work law.
- North Carolina elections take shape with fundraising numbers Updated: Feb-04-16 6:24 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's March 15 primary and the November general election are taking shape as candidates and party committees disclosed financial reports over the past week as state and federal filing deadlines came and went.
- Iowa Democrats propose bill to end Medicaid privatization Updated: Feb-04-16 5:25 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Senate Democrats said Thursday that they plan to pass a bill next week that would halt Republican Gov. Terry Branstad's plan to turn over management of the state's Medicaid program to three companies, even though there is little chance that the GOP-led House would support it.
- The Latest: Senate Democrats laud Hassan's speech, goals Updated: Feb-04-16 5:15 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The Latest on Gov. Maggie Hassan's State of the State address: (all times local):
- Louisiana Senate race draws its first Democratic candidate Updated: Feb-04-16 4:51 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's U.S. Senate race has its first Democratic contender.
- Top House Democrat vows gay rights debate will continue Updated: Feb-04-16 4:02 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana House's top Democrat said Thursday that the gay rights debate in the Legislature isn't over, even though the Republican-dominated Senate abandoned an anti-discrimination measure this week.
- Senate Democrats block energy bill in impasse over Flint Updated: Feb-04-16 3:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats on Thursday blocked the first bipartisan energy bill in almost a decade after majority Republicans balked over sending hundreds of millions of dollars in emergency aid to Flint, Michigan, to fix and replace the city's lead-contaminated pipes.
- Sestak reports $2.6M in cash heading into US Senate primary Updated: Feb-04-16 2:39 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrat Joe Sestak is heading into the final months of his U.S. Senate primary campaign with $2.6 million in the bank after raising $374,000 in the last three months of 2015.
- Excerpts from recent North Dakota editorials Updated: Feb-04-16 12:02 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Minot Daily News, Minot, Jan. 30, 2016
- Flint crisis reaches Capitol Hill, and it's a blame game Updated: Feb-03-16 4:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Government officials tangled on Wednesday over who was to blame for the crisis in Flint, Michigan, that allowed lead-contaminated water to flow to thousands of residents at a combative congressional hearing that devolved into a partisan fight over witnesses and no-shows.
- Hogan sounds bipartisan tone in State of the State speech Updated: Feb-03-16 3:52 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Republican Gov. Larry Hogan pressed his goals for tax relief Wednesday in his second State of the State speech. This time, though, he was careful to credit Democrats for helping him make some small tax cuts last year, and he highlighted the importance of Democrats and Republicans working together.
- West Virginia features packed ballot for 2016 election Updated: Feb-03-16 1:58 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The ballot is almost set for a pivotal election in West Virginia.
- Candidates vie for secretary of state post after scandal Updated: Feb-02-16 9:22 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The fall election for New Mexico secretary of state will pit Democratic Bernalillo County Clerk Maggie Toulouse Oliver against Republican state Rep. Nora Espinoza of Roswell in the wake of a scandal that landed the state election agency's former chief in jail.
- Democrats endorse candidate for Kirkpatrick's Assembly seat Updated: Feb-02-16 6:06 pm
NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nevada - Nevada Assembly Democrats are endorsing a North Las Vegas corrections officer for the seat formerly held by high-ranking Democratic Assemblywoman Marilyn Kirkpatrick.
- The Latest: Chamber head says gay-rights failure hurts state Updated: Feb-02-16 5:52 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on the decision of Indiana Republican lawmakers to abandon efforts this year to extend anti-discrimination laws to include sexual orientation (all times local):
- Fundraising reports set tone for tussle over Legislature Updated: Feb-02-16 5:50 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The quest for cash is on in Minnesota's 2016 elections. New campaign finance reports released Tuesday show political groups and candidates have already socked away millions of dollars for the fight for control of the Legislature.
- Kentucky House Democrats opposed to governor's spending cuts Updated: Feb-02-16 5:24 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - House Democrats said Tuesday they likely will not approve $650 million worth of state spending cuts proposed by Republican Gov. Matt Bevin, setting up a budget battle one month ahead of four special elections that could shift the balance of power in the legislature.