- Kentucky GOP adding to its rolls but Democrats hold majority Updated: May-04-15 5:49 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - As much as they publicly despise him, Kentucky Republicans will likely miss Democratic President Barack Obama when he leaves office in 2017.
- Oklahoma House Democrats re-elect Inman as minority leader Updated: May-04-15 3:43 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma House Democrats have re-elected Rep. Scott Inman of Del City to serve a fourth term as minority leader.
- Democratic committee endorses Murphy for Rubio Senate seat Updated: May-04-15 1:57 pm
WASHINGTON - The Democratic Senate campaign committee endorsed Rep. Patrick Murphy on Monday as its candidate for the Senate seat being vacated by Republican Marco Rubio of Florida, who is running for president. The endorsement comes even as another Democratic congressman, Alan Grayson, is eyeing the same seat.
- Complaints filed against Gallatin Democrats Updated: May-03-15 4:34 pm
BOZEMAN, Montana - A Bozeman man has filed a pair of complaints against Montana State University's College Democrats and the Gallatin County Democratic Central Committee, alleging they violated campaign practice laws in 2014, but there are questions whether it violates university policies.
- Boehner: Clinton needs to bring Democrats along on trade Updated: May-03-15 9:05 am
- Warren to headline Connecticut Democrats dinner Updated: May-02-15 12:14 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a liberal stalwart that some have hoped will enter the 2016 presidential race, will headline the Connecticut Democratic Party's annual fundraising dinner.
- Portman faces balancing act on trade as he seeks re-election Updated: May-02-15 11:03 am
WASHINGTON - Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio is maneuvering with care as he runs for re-election in a swing state while cautiously supporting a free-trade deal that even some fellow Republicans fear could lead to job losses back home.
- Hassan travels for Democratic Governors Association events Updated: May-02-15 8:50 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan is out of state this weekend for fundraisers put on by the Democratic Governors Association.
- Court order brings acrimonious legislative session to close Updated: May-01-15 6:41 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A last-ditch effort to force the Florida Legislature back to work floundered on Friday after the state's highest court ruled that there would be no "beneficial result" to force the state House to reconvene.
- Senate Democrats sue Florida House over abrupt session end Updated: Apr-30-15 8:47 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The fallout over the collapse of this year's session of the Florida Legislature continued Thursday as a group of Democrats went to court to try to force the House to return to the state Capitol.
- California Senate Democrats call out Jerry Brown over water Updated: Apr-30-15 8:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's Democratic senators have called out Gov. Jerry Brown over water spending, saying that in the face of the relentless drought the state should more quickly approve funds to recycle and save water.
- Democrat Gregg to run for governor in 2016; Ritz mulls bid Updated: Apr-30-15 6:11 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Former Indiana House Speaker John Gregg, a Democrat who narrowly lost the 2012 governor's race to Republican Mike Pence, said Thursday he will run for governor again because he thinks Pence's focus on social issues has given the state "a bad name."
- Obama under pressure to beef up Democratic support for trade Updated: Apr-30-15 5:28 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican leaders say GOP votes alone won't pass trade legislation sought by President Barack Obama and are urging the White House to put more pressure on reluctant Democrats to lend their support.
- DHS No. 2 regrets perception of favoritism in visa cases Updated: Apr-30-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - Homeland Security Deputy Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas steadfastly defended his work on three foreign-investor visa cases while testifying before a House committee Thursday, following allegations that he used his post to help well-connected Democrats.
- Walker defends merger Democrat calls 'useless' Updated: Apr-30-15 1:50 pm
MILWAUKEE - Gov. Scott Walker is defending his proposal to merge the state's chief job-creation agency with one that hands out low-interest housing loans.
- Democrats avoid clashes in Pennsylvania Supreme Court forum Updated: Apr-29-15 8:29 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Five Democrats seeking nominations for an unprecedented three open seats on the state Supreme Court stuck to their campaign scripts on Wednesday, avoiding clashes with each other as they fielded questions at a candidates' forum.
- Democrats highlight potential obstacles in Rauner budget Updated: Apr-29-15 6:18 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - With just weeks left before Illinois' 2016 budget must be passed, Democratic leaders and GOP Gov. Bruce Rauner remain far apart on how to bridge a $6 billion revenue gap.
- AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced views on gay rights, religious liberty Updated: Apr-29-15 5:18 pm
WASHINGTON - Most Americans think the government should protect religious liberties over gay rights when the two come into conflict, a new Associated Press-GfK poll finds, though fewer think most businesses should be allowed to turn away gay couples because of religious beliefs.
- Alabama Senate Democrats urge Medicaid expansion Updated: Apr-28-15 8:54 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Democrats in the Alabama Senate are urging Gov. Robert Bentley to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.
- Senate Democrats sign lease for downtown St. Paul office Updated: Apr-28-15 6:50 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota state senators have found some new digs in downtown St. Paul.
- Senate panel advances bill to overhaul chemical regulation Updated: Apr-28-15 2:58 pm
WASHINGTON - A bipartisan bill to update regulation of harmful chemicals for the first time in nearly 40 years won approval from a Senate committee Tuesday, moving it closer to a vote in the full Senate.
- Trade deal poses dilemma for Clinton in Democratic primary Updated: Apr-28-15 11:05 am
WASHINGTON - On a trip to Australia in 2012, Hillary Rodham Clinton lavished praise on the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership, calling it the "gold standard" in efforts to create open and fair trade.
- Kansas House committee delays review of Democrat's remarks Updated: Apr-28-15 5:05 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas House committee has delayed its investigation of a Democratic lawmaker who labeled as "racist bigots" supporters of a bill ending college tuition breaks for students living in the U.S. illegally.
- Murray, mom in tennis shoes in '92, stands her ground Updated: Apr-27-15 1:08 pm
WASHINGTON - There's a disturbance in the force of the tradition-bound Senate and her name is Patty Murray.
- North Dakota Democrats hire Robert Haider as new director Updated: Apr-27-15 12:06 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota's Democratic Party has hired Burlington native Robert Haider as its new executive director.