- Democrats warn Illinois could go broke without state budget Updated: Oct-08-15 6:09 pm
CHICAGO - Illinois will run out of money to operate in a matter of months if lawmakers can't agree on a state budget, top Democrats warned Thursday, but they reiterated they won't bow to Gov. Bruce Rauner's demands to weaken public-worker unions for a deal.
- Super PAC backing Democrats spends $1M in 3 Assembly races Updated: Oct-08-15 2:02 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A super political action committee focused on electing Democratic lawmakers has spent more than $1 million in three contested New Jersey Assembly districts ahead of Election Day.
- Chicago Democrats to meet to fill seat of late Rep. Golar Updated: Oct-08-15 4:05 am
CHICAGO - Democrats have started the process of choosing a replacement for the late state Rep. Esther Golar of Chicago.
- Senate Democrats preparing legislative package to curb guns Updated: Oct-07-15 11:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats are preparing a legislative push to curb guns, a week after a mass shooting at an Oregon community college refocused attention on the nation's toll of firearms deaths.
- House Roll Call: a special panel on Planned Parenthood Updated: Oct-07-15 6:39 pm
The 242-184 roll call Wednesday by which the House created a special panel to investigate Planned Parenthood and its procurement of fetal tissue.
- House OKs special panel to probe Planned Parenthood Updated: Oct-07-15 5:38 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-led House voted Wednesday to create a special panel to investigate Planned Parenthood and its procurement of fetal tissue as the GOP continued pressing an issue that has galvanized conservatives since secret videos surfaced this summer.
- Obama begins selling trade agreement to Congress, public Updated: Oct-06-15 2:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Negotiations over the complex trade deal took more than five years. On Tuesday, President Barack Obama began what may be a similarly difficult task - selling the Trans-Pacific Partnership to Congress and the American public.
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Oct-06-15 1:49 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Oct. 1
- Democrats criticize LePage statement about Oregon shooting Updated: Oct-06-15 10:38 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Democrats are criticizing Maine Gov. Paul LePage's statements about gun control and mental illness related to his order to lower flags to half-staff in honor of the victims of the mass shooting in Roseburg, Oregon.
- Clinton draws early support but also ambivalence from voters Updated: Oct-06-15 3:15 am
DERRY, New Hampshire - Inside the arena, the roar was deafening when Hillary Rodham Clinton took the stage at the annual convention of the New Hampshire Democratic Party. Thousands of people jumped to their feet to welcome their party's White House front-runner with cheers and noisemakers emblazoned with her campaign logo.
- Leaders who follow: What candidates' Twitter lists reveal Updated: Oct-05-15 2:34 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Jeb Bush follows Donald Trump on Twitter but that's a one-way street: Trump mainly follows people with a connection to himself. Ted Cruz's follow list is a big tea party, though he keeps an eye on President Barack Obama, too.
- Q&A: Gun control prospects in GOP-run Congress remain remote Updated: Oct-02-15 5:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Another mass shooting, another appearance by a stricken-looking President Barack Obama expressing anguish and frustration over congressional inaction on gun control laws.
- Democrat Edwards trying to break party slump in Louisiana Updated: Oct-02-15 3:05 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Democratic candidate for governor John Bel Edwards has surged in recent polls, raising hopes among Democrats that they might reclaim a top position in a state where Republicans hold every statewide elected job.
- Maine Democrats respond to GOP attack on Planned Parenthood Updated: Oct-01-15 5:51 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine Democratic leaders say they will fight Republican attacks against Planned Parenthood.
- Democrats demand Walker call transportation session Updated: Oct-01-15 4:37 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Democratic lawmakers are demanding Republican Gov. Scott Walker call a special legislative session to deal with a shortfall in road project funding.
- Democrats block veterans funding bill as budget talks loom Updated: Oct-01-15 4:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Democrats on Thursday blocked the Senate from turning to a $78 billion spending measure for the Department of Veterans Affairs and military base construction. They and the White House argue that it's part of an overall GOP budget framework that shortchanges spending on other domestic programs.
- Democrats try to gain in House as GOP seeks supermajority Updated: Oct-01-15 3:34 pm
BOONEVILLE, Mississippi - Tracy Arnold had never held elected office before 2011, when the Republican won a House seat that had long been in the hands of Democrats and once epitomized the party's dominance in the state.
- Kansas Democrats expected to pick veteran activist as leader Updated: Sep-30-15 8:01 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Democrats expect to pick a longtime Wichita-area activist as their new state chairman this weekend to concentrate on fundraising and boosting their numbers in the Legislature after the abrupt resignation of a leader who suggested rebranding the party.
- New Hampshire's Ayotte plays foil to Ted Cruz Updated: Sep-30-15 11:14 am
WASHINGTON - New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte is boldly taking on a role most of her fellow Republicans have been unwilling to bear: public foil to Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz.
- Democrats call on Walker, Republicans to change agenda Updated: Sep-29-15 7:19 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Democratic legislative leaders say Gov. Scott Walker and Republicans have lost focus and are overreaching by catering to the far right wing of their party in an "insatiable appetite for power."
- Oregon Senate Democrats elect new majority leader Updated: Sep-28-15 10:50 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Democrats in the Oregon Senate have elected a new majority leader.
- Democratic discontent with White House Syria policy growing Updated: Sep-28-15 6:10 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic discontent with the U.S. strategy in Syria is growing, with some of President Barack Obama's supporters in Congress questioning what he is doing to fight Islamic State militants, stem the exodus of Syrian refugees and find a political solution to the conflict.
- Democrats propose nearly $1B in middle-class tax credits Updated: Sep-28-15 5:30 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Democrats in the Republican-controlled Legislature proposed nearly $1 billion in tax cuts geared toward families with children and people paying off college loans in an attempt to shift more of the tax burden to businesses.
- Congressional Democrats push for Valeant Pharma subpoena Updated: Sep-28-15 2:38 pm
Congressional Democrats are pressing a Republican committee chairman to force a pharmaceutical company to turn over documents tied to price hikes imposed earlier this year.
- Democrats back candidate in key Vegas-area state Senate race Updated: Sep-28-15 2:06 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada Senate Democrats are endorsing a Clark County deputy district attorney in a key state legislative race.