- Nevada Democrats brace for life after Reid's retirement Updated: Jul-02-15 1:26 pm
LAS VEGAS - Local and state officials gathered near Hoover Dam in April to celebrate the groundbreaking of a highway bypass that might ultimately become part of an interstate connecting Las Vegas with Phoenix.
- Court ruling spurs backers' hopes for redistricting changes Updated: Jun-30-15 1:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Groups hoping to squeeze partisan politics out of how states shape congressional districts are hailing a Supreme Court decision that lets independent commissions, not legislatures, draw those lines.
- Collection of recent editorials from Oklahoma newspapers Updated: Jun-30-15 11:20 am
A collection of recent editorials from Oklahoma newspapers:
- California lawmakers applaud decision in redistricting case Updated: Jun-29-15 4:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Members of California's congressional delegation on Monday applauded the U.S. Supreme Court's decision upholding the use of independent commissions to configure electoral districts.
- Democrats want to remove marriage definition in constitution Updated: Jun-29-15 4:05 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Democrats on Monday called for the elimination of nullified language in the state's constitution that defines marriage as between a man and a woman.
- US Supreme Court upholds Arizona congressional maps Updated: Jun-29-15 4:01 pm
PHOENIX - The U.S. Supreme Court refused Monday to throw out Arizona's voter-approved system for redrawing congressional district lines - a major loss for Republicans in the Arizona Legislature that keeps the current maps in place for seven more years.
- Democratic Sen. McGuire says she'll explore 1st District run Updated: Jun-29-15 3:19 pm
PHOENIX - Democratic state Sen. Barbara McGuire says she's launching a committee to explore a run for the 1st Congressional District seat currently held by Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick.
- Democratic state lawmaker won't make Indiana's US Senate bid Updated: Jun-29-15 1:28 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A state lawmaker considered a possible Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate next year has decided against entering the race.
- Hearing over lawmaker's 'racist bigots' remark turns rowdy Updated: Jun-26-15 1:11 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas lawmaker who used the words "racist bigots" at a March meeting to describe supporters of a bill denying in-state tuition to undocumented immigrants said on Friday that she was not referring to individual members of a legislative committee.
- Democratic Party chairman Johnson to run for Congress Updated: Jun-25-15 5:30 pm
LANSING, Michigan - State Democratic Party Chairman Lon Johnson will step down and run against Republican U.S. Rep. Dan Benishek in the 1st Congressional District, a competitive northern Michigan seat that Democrats hope to swing in their favor with increased Democratic turnout in the 2016 presidential election.
- Democrats blast Illinois Gov. Rauner's budget vetoes Updated: Jun-25-15 4:16 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Democrats are criticizing Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner's move to veto budget legislation.
- Panel wants AG to enforce subpoena of Democratic records Updated: Jun-25-15 2:47 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The State Elections Enforcement Commission is asking the Connecticut attorney general's office to enforce in court the panel's subpoena seeking records from the state Democratic Party.
- House completes Obama's trade items as Pacific pact looms Updated: Jun-25-15 2:02 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-led Congress rounded out President Barack Obama's trade package Thursday, overwhelmingly passing a worker training program just weeks after it was stymied.
- The Latest: Michigan Republicans criticize health law ruling Updated: Jun-25-15 12:41 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Latest from Michigan on the Supreme Court's decision on President Barack Obama's health care overhaul (all times local):
- Hagan going forward 'not as an elected US senator' Updated: Jun-24-15 7:41 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Former U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan said Wednesday there's still much work ahead to help North Carolina residents, but she won't be trying to go back to Washington for another six-year term to do it.
- The Latest: Budget, short-term spending plan head to Hassan Updated: Jun-24-15 3:26 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The latest as legislators vote on the Republican-backed state budget:
- Coalition slams Democrats over NJ Transit fare-hike proposal Updated: Jun-24-15 1:31 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - More than a dozen transportation and progressive advocacy groups are sharply criticizing the Democrat-led Legislature and calling on them to allocate more funding to NJ Transit so it can evade an expected fare increase.
- Final hurdle to Obama's trade agenda crumbling in House Updated: Jun-24-15 11:30 am
WASHINGTON - A final hurdle to President Barack Obama's trade agenda is crumbling as House Democrats abandon any coordinated effort to block a job retraining program that Obama wants.
- The Latest: Bill to give aid to asylum seekers gets final OK Updated: Jun-23-15 10:18 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The latest on the closing stages of lawmakers' six-month legislative session:
- Budget choreography unwinds as Democrats advance $35.3B plan Updated: Jun-23-15 5:58 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The drama over New Jersey's spending blueprint is heading to Act 2, with lawmakers saying the Legislature's budget will result in Gov. Chris Christie cutting out Democratic tax increases to help make a pension payment.
- Oregon House panel advances Democratic tax credit plan Updated: Jun-23-15 5:08 pm
SALEM, Oregon - A state House panel has advanced a bill that combines a variety of tax increases with tax breaks benefiting primarily lower-income Oregonians.
- Democrats offer Rauner tax-freeze plan, but House defeats it Updated: Jun-23-15 5:02 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois House Democrats put another property-tax freeze to a vote - this one including contentious side issues demanded by Gov. Bruce Rauner - but it was defeated like previous versions.
- Democrat running unopposed in special election for House Updated: Jun-23-15 11:56 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A Democratic candidate is running unopposed in a special election for a suburban House seat.
- Dems hope to win Rubio's Senate seat by sidelining liberal Updated: Jun-21-15 11:38 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Democrats see a chance to pick up the Florida Senate seat being vacated by Republican Marco Rubio - but only if U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson stays out of the race.
- Equal pay, marijuana bills test Gov. Rauner's social agenda Updated: Jun-21-15 10:44 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Throughout his campaign for governor, Bruce Rauner asserted he didn't have a social agenda and was focused solely on Illinois' deepening financial crisis.